“BERLIN AIRLIFT 1948 - 1949”

By John Van Herreweghe

Member of Model Club Eeklo Belgium

Directly after the end of WW2 in Europe, Berlin had been divided in two halves, one side occupied by Stalin and the other side occupied by the US, Great Britain and France.

On the first of April 1948, the Russians decided to block the corridors completely off from the West to Berlin.  This restriction was for military and civilian means.

In Berlin, 2.1 million Germans tried to survive the hardship in a bombed-out city. Besides that, the garrisons from the US, Great Britain and the France would be cut off from supplies.

These circumstances would set off the world’s largest ever air supply operation in the world. It would last from 26 June 1948, until midnight 12th May 1949. It took 266.600 flights, carrying 2,223.000 tons of food, fuel and supplies to keep the city going. At one minute after midnight on 12 May 1949, the blockade was lifted.

The recent publication of the book “The Berlin Airlift” by John Grehan (Pen&Sword Books) made me change my diorama setting. It would be dedicated in honor of the Armed Forces that took part in this airlift.

The Diorama:

Starting point would be the C-54 Skymaster from Revell. Cargo door open, ready to load/unload. Airfix delivered the Autocar Refueller, decorated with Arctic Decals. IBG delivered the Diamond general purpose truck. On the website from Video graphics, I found the Coleman Tow Truck, not quite in the right time frame, but a very powerful model that had to do the job. The figurines came from CMK. The perfectly fitting boarding ladder came from Dan Models, with a Brengun Models toolbox.

My base plate was constructed from MDF, sandpaper from the local hardware store made the runway/tarmac.  The firm Noch from Germany supplied the grass, to give it some more color.

Construction was straight forward. Airbrushing the C-54 was complicated, because of the curves and the large orange frame pieces on the nose, fuselage and tail. The Autocar refueler and the Diamond truck were both a perfect fit. I did not want to go into (dull) olive military colors, but spruced it up with red, yellow (Refueller) and extreme light blue for the USAF Diamond truck.

I did not feel qualified enough to paint the figurines, but my fellow club member, from Model Club Eeklo Belgium, Marc De Graeve, was willing to do it for me. So dear readers, you see how important it is, to belong to a model club. You can share your ideas and help each other out.

Diorama finished. On the contest table, the base plate is combined with the large engraved text plate

“Berlin Air Lift” accompanied by the “Berlin Airlift “ book  by the author John Greham.

Tags:

C-54 Skymaster Revell 04877

New Wave 162 Mask

Diamond T968 IBG 72019

Autocar refueller Airfix A6304

Arctic Decals Shell Aviation ARC72-V08

Boarding Ladder Dan Models 72511

Toolbox Brengun BRL 72002

Coleman Tow Truck Video Aviation Coleman MB4 + Tow Bar

Xtra Color/Revell enamel paints

Onto the next one. I think the HC-130 Hercules from the United States Coast Guard.

Also, BIG and colorful.

Good health to all of you,

Regards, from Belgium

John

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

• Like 48
  • Thanks 3

Splendid diorama. Does the Revell C-54 come with positionable flaps or did you make that modification yourself?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent! Superb figures and accessories with a very fine model. I read somewhere that the turn-around was so fast that the pilots didn't even disembark and kept the engines running...

• Thanks 1

Very nice build and diorama! My Dad was stationed at RAF Fassberg, Germany during the airlift and I have many b&w photos he took of the C-47's and USAF/USN C-54's used, as well as the rubble and ruins in Berlin. I hope to do Gail Halvorsen's 'Candy Bomber' C-54 someday as a tribute model. See the link to a video. They don't make 'em like that anymore. It was a thrill for me when we were later stationed at Wiesbaden to go to Berlin and walk around Tempelhof airfield while my Dad told me about what went on there in 1948-49; I could only imagine the hundreds of transports and Sunderland flying boats that flew in and out  daily to supply the people of West Berlin.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L87u5JM5Bqg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job on the C-54 and the Diorama. My father was also a crew chief during the LIft. I wish I had  had the presence of mind to have quizzed him in detail on it when I was a kid. I know it was a C-82 but not much else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice, thank you for sharing. I have one that I really should finish and I shall be pleased if turns out half as good as yours. I was at Tempelhof during the early 1970's and had the honour and pleasure of meeting Colonel Halvorsen and his family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice dio John. At first I'm thinking, too colourful for this era & then of course, I realise I'm basing this off black & white photos. :( I like what you've done, the collection of vehicles is great & the figures lend life to it all. 👍 & so colourful. :D

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Hello John,

Job well done. I have seen you working on this diorama with endless patience. I was also impressed with your research , concerning this important history moment.

The result was well worth all the hours you put into it. Not a dull olive colored collection of military assets, but a colorful setting. As mentioned above, all pictures at that time are black and white. That gives the modeler some freedom in choosing his color scheme..

The finish with the hardware store sandpaper runway, is surely one thing that I will take over by constructing tarmac or runway.

Thanks to Revell (C-54 Skymaster) this workhorse from the USAF/USN could be constructed. Excellent detailed model. 

As mentioned by you, membership of a model club is giving you many privileges. The mix of all the know how, that is constantly present in a group of dedicated modelers.  There are still to many "ceiling builders" that have no idea what they miss.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the HC-130 from the USCG.

Regards,

Orion. (P-3C)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nev said:

Very nice, and your friend is a superb figure painter, I had to double check the scale was 1/72!

Edited by Orion