1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

Rob:

The Profile Morskie plans for HMS Kent is one of their better efforts. The only error I detected were the depiction of waffle-type watertight doors (something you alluded to previously). They should be an earlier type.

If you would like a copy of the "as fitted plans" with alterations and additions shown, they are available in this book: 

spacer.png

In the newer version of the book (shown above) where the plans are printed in color, they reproduced rather nicely. Unfortunately, I have the older edition of the book in which the plans were black and white, and the resolution wasn't so great.... sigh

And here are some pics of the original HMS Kent plans with alterations and additions noted, which I found on the internet:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

BTW, please let me know if the posting of these plans violates Crown copyright or some other restrictions, and I will take them down immediately. (I assumed reproduction here is allowed under Open Government License provisions.) In the United States, old ships plans are public domain information, and therefore posting them online is not a problem. Thanks all!

HTH,

Mike E.

Edited by michaele
  • Like 3

Thanks for that Mike - it doesn't add much regards the steel deck plate unfortunately.

Kev - you are too kind.

Small progress.  Kent had an atypical Venturi bridge wind deflector.  

Careful study shows that there were 11 "fins"

The kit part was shelved - The Eduard offering as per Cornwall offers 8 "fins" :nerd:

DSCF9301

DSCF9302

And here's a dry-fit build up of the comparatively small Bridge superstructure

DSCF9303

DSCF9304

Some minor shims were needed for the above deck to sit truly flush

DSCF9305

DSCF9306

You can see the kit HACS covered.  And here's the Micromaster version

DSCF9307

the fit is tight.

I pimped up the open bridge a bit as per this screen catch...

EH26wCJVAAAT9f8

DSCF9309

DSCF9310

And decided to go for drilled portholes in the end that I'll fill ultimately with "Krystal Klear".  Note to self - upper smaller portholes = 0.8mm drill bit.

DSCF9308

Major progress continues to be stymied by the wait for multiple bits of "stuff".

Stay safe and stay away from those humans!

Rob

• Like 17

Nice work on the bridge it,s the small details that make it stand out and the HACS looks much better than the kit offering :yes:

42 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Stay safe and stay away from those humans!

it's not the humans I am worried about it's the MORONS that get to close you have to watch out for 😷 sure some of them do not understand the 6 foot rule it's a bit like trying to explain the off-side rule to missus b  😏

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

DSCF9310

Loving that bridge detail Rob. Superb stuff.

The problem with builds like this is that it makes me want to build one, and I've too much on the go at the moment!

Terry

• Like 5

Thanks Fellas.  

Progress has been slightly frustrating as a result of awaiting several consignments including appropriate doors.  I've been fiddling with sub builds.

However - Big Boys came and made me do this and then runned off.

DSCF9333

Which has.................

DSCF9330

Meaning that ...............

DSCF9332

Will now get deferred awaiting North Star metal deck plating sheet and will feature as a second County Cruiser build - namely a 1940 HMS Berwick as a water line build.  The etch from Eduard and WEM sets will adequately cover both ( I hope).

Such a shame that Trumpeter have included the "Wood" decked version in the HMS Kent offering.  I can't imagine for one instant that they'll change it.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, Modelholic said:

Odd that about the bridge wind-deflector.

They got it right on the box art!

Tom

That's correct Tom - However I shaved it off as per the Eduard instructions before really examiing it.  It has 10 fins (Kent has 111 and Corrnwall 8 - I can't really believe I'm writing this - what has it all come to??:nerd::nerd:)

The fins aren't as deep as they should be and there's no gap.

DSCF9331

The Control Director is pimped up and the bracket for the DF antenna - (not supplied in kit or etch) is added.

Coincidentally I received these this week - I'll do a mini review when I've read through this one...

DSCF9334_edited-1

First impression is that it's rather sumptuous with some very nice pictures - there's one of Kent from the stbd quarter that I'd not seen before, in 1941 colours that will give me a headache for the Catapult but more of that later.

The second was this that I finally managed to pick up for a reasonable price and now means I have the full collection

DSCF9335_edited-1

So finally, here's a vanity shot of total progress to date - at last I can get onto painting the hull:whistle:

DSCF9329

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

DSCF9330

Excellent news that they seem to have fixed it on Cornwall. It even looks like they have provided a separate breakwater. Trumpeter certainly does work in mysterious ways...............

40 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

DSCF9334_edited-1

I have this book too. Excellent choice Rob!

So we now have a County class double build from you. Thats neat.

Terry

• Like 2

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

However - Big Boys came and made me do this and then runned off.

Funny how those Big Boy's always come around and drop things of when the missus is not watching  :whistle:

Very neat PE on the director and funnels  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Do you know them too????:shrug:

Rob

Oh yes they are my best friends :evil_laugh:

but don’t let the missus b know 

beefy 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, robgizlu said:

DSCF9334_edited-1

First impression is that it's rather sumptuous with some very nice pictures - there's one of Kent from the stbd quarter that I'd not seen before, in 1941 colours that will give me a headache for the Catapult but more of that later.

Anything by Friedman is worth having in the collection.  I've been collecting them for Christmas/birthday for years.

Good progress despite Trumpeter's best efforts to make this difficult

• Like 1

Slow work this week but the Foc'sle is more or less finished.  The "YX Models" resin chain is just amazing!!!  Though sadly sold out from Sovereign models - I do hope you get some more in Jamie.

DSCF9336

I used the WEM break water though after checking the Eduard is possibly slightly better detailed.  What doesn't get done here will come for Berwick.

The bow plate is added which I have assumed (after guidance from my go-to nautical man - Thanks Kev!!) is there to help "fly" the Paravanes.

DSCF9343

And talking of which - I spent some time researching paravanes finding the single most useful resource to be Evert-Jan's site On the slipway which is wholly inspirational, I remain in awe of his work.

This resulted..

DSCF9340

And seeing this has caused me to shave off the plastic bracket - it's sitting too far out.  The Value of cruel pics :lol:

I did some work on the searchlight platform aft adding some support struts and railings.  In this pic I foolishly angled the ladders and realised this was silly so revised to this

DSCF9337

DSCF9338

DSCF9341

The Pom pom platforms have been pimped

DSCF9342

In terms of deliveries - doors arrived from White Ensign in California.  Nothing from Profile Morskie after 1/12 and Northstar models after 3 weeks :owww:  

DSCF9339

However this did come and very fine it is ...

DSCF9344_edited-1

I'm looking forward to Trumpeter's Dido and C class arrivals in 1/350.

Spurred by the thread ...

I read HMS Ulysses by Alistair Maclean this week and a first for me - by Kindle on my Ipad.  Yowsa, yowsa!  I'm lining up The Ship - C S Forrester next.  

Thanks for looking - Stay Safe and keep avoiding the Humans :penguin:

Rob

• Like 12

Excellent neat work which will all add to the overal impact.  I am tempted down the cruiser route, but I have more than enough ships in the stash for now!  

• Like 3

Looking great so far very neat PE on those towers what is the white plastic rod representing some kind of armoured cover for power lines  :book:

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Beautiful stuff that chain eh? There's more on order now.

We have purchased a Cricut Maker. It occurred to me that it's now possible to make vinyl camouflage masks for warships. Would you like to be a guinnea pig?

YES Please.   Like that was a trick question!! :winkgrin:  I had been thinking about masks Jamie.  And I'll be taking some more of that chain please.

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looking great so far very neat PE on those towers what is the white plastic rod representing some kind of armoured cover for power lines  :book:

Stay Safe 

beefy 

Beefy, I looked at this picture from the IWM collection which showed the hatches and the "clutter" including pipes.  I've added and they are a bit overscale but I'm trying to pimp up the slab sides with some detail etc

HRH THE DUKE OF KENT DURING HIS VISIT TO DEVONPORT. 1941.

Chewbacca, John Kev and Guy - thanks for the comments.

Oooh masks!!!!

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1