1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

On 1/13/2021 at 6:05 AM, NAVY870 said:

Excellent effort

Convinced me to get one to do as HMAS Australia.

Hi Steve - Thanks.

Delighted to hear that.  I've just had to look Australia up and it looks very do-able from Kent/Cornwall.  It looks like Canberra the sister ship was very similar.  Were you aware of this..

https://modelshipwrights.com/news/hmas-canberra-conversion

https://krakenhobbies.com/

listed as being currently out of stock but looks a pretty comprehensive package.

Looking forwards to seeing the WIP

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2021 at 2:05 PM, NAVY870 said:

Gidday, I'd like to do the same, although mine would be an Airfix 1/600 scale HMS Suffolk conversion. And naturally, nowhere near the detail your excellent model has here. It' quite a way back in the queue. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

what a wonderful build, and an equally wonderful blog - thank you @robgizlu

I haven't built a floaty thingy since I was about 12 years old - and I can barely remember that far back! - but I must say that this build probably more than any other will prompt me to end that long sabbatical

i have Italeri's MTB and S-100 (Great Uncle served on MTBs), but they are really what i normally model (1/32 aircraft and 1/35 armour), just in different shapes; big ships are really quite different in some of the skills required if one wants something beyond just OOB (not that there's anything wrong with that).

anyway thank you again, and also thank you to those who helped with your research.

I found that as interesting as the build itself, and also quite amusing in that despite all the photos and documentation, the actual colours used and where still causes so much discussion - good to see that it's not just German armour and aircraft which engender such debate!

all the best

Nick

• Like 2

Thanks Nick for your very kind words.

This scale is relatively new to me as well but I'm enjoying it.

The research is part of the enjoyment and it's great to have so many experts so free with help and encouragement.

Good luck with a return to "floaty things".  My entry into modelling was AFVs so I'm still learning my way here still

Hope you blog your next project

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

New appreciation for county class cruiser design as pointed out in this video at 5:26 https://youtu.be/y-ygrlmWqa8

I had always thought Britain lost out in the treaty limits, in that they accepted partiality with America. Yet if their designs were set up with a mind towards future upgrades, what I once viewed as folly, turns out to be pure brilliance. 

That all said, beautiful build here and many great ideas put forth in this amazing thread, so glad I found Brit modelling forum

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 9:38 PM, Aayin1941 said:

New appreciation for county class cruiser design as pointed out in this video at 5:26 https://youtu.be/y-ygrlmWqa8

I had always thought Britain lost out in the treaty limits, in that they accepted partiality with America. Yet if their designs were set up with a mind towards future upgrades, what I once viewed as folly, turns out to be pure brilliance. 

That all said, beautiful build here and many great ideas put forth in this amazing thread, so glad I found Brit modelling forum

Thanks for the link.  I wasn't aware of this previously and I enjoyed it enormously.  I've quite a few to get through!!

And Thanks for your kind comments - Welcome to Britmodeller

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 06:05, NAVY870 said:

Excellent effort

Interesting! Have you started yet?

Martian 👽

2 hours ago, Martian said:

Interesting! Have you started yet?

Martian 👽

Not yet no

Busily recovering from heart surgery, new additions to the fleet are on hold til I'm back at work

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Not yet no

Busily recovering from heart surgery, new additions to the fleet are on hold til I'm back at work

Very sorry to hear that Steve, I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 12:30 AM, NAVY870 said:

Not yet no

Best supportive thoughts and a quick and healthy recovery Steve !!

Stay safe !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

I was tickled to see the new HMS Kent from Trumpeter in 1/700 uses box cover art that adopts the scheme portrayed throughout this blog and final result

HMS Kent 06735  (1)

Well done @dickrd and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies :clap2:

Rob

Well worth the work that was put in to the research hope that Trumpeter will listen to the experts now when it comes to the correct paint schemes

And well done to you Rob for starting it all off with that great build of yours.  :worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think I've joined some dots. I received a friend request from one Randall Wilson on Facebook recently who appears to do much of the warship box art for Trumpeter. That would explain this. He may have been watching what Richard and I post from time to time.

• Like 5