1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

36 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Rob,

12 links is actually quite coarse.  Below are a few examples from my chain locker stock

The brass chains here are ~30 links per inch, the black one is a little less (~24 I think) but very fine and may be better for your model.  From memory I got these from a fine scale model railway site, but checking my email, I can't seem to find the order reference, sorry. 

If you can't source them yourself, let me know what length you need.  I buy this stuff for stock so I always have some to hand, I'd be happy to let you have some if it helps

Steve

Rob is quoting 12 links per centimetre, which is about the same as your 30 links per inch, so no difference really.

Kev suggested plaiting 3 strands of cotton, I'd suggest using very fine wire and a four strand square sinnet which gives a better impression of chain. Whether this turns out finer than the chain you already have will depend on how fine the wire is and how tight you can make the sinnet.

https://www.animatedknots.com/four-strand-square-sinnet-knot

• Like 3

15 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Approx 12 links per cm Jamie.   If you have anything smaller, I'll gladly take it though the paravane chains are glued in place now.

Rob

That's about the smallest I have too :( I wouldn't worry about it. All models are impressionistic to a degree and I think your HMS Kent looks splendid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I think your HMS Kent looks splendid.

I'll second that, you have managed to hit that sweet spot, with a really (and I mean really) clean build but with a subtle weathered look, that Port side shot of the boat boom really does look like a much larger scale model (try 1;144), and as for your Walrus...........a jewel !

Inspirational stuff

David

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, longshanks said:

Your work is so clean and precise, I'm sure you were a eye surgeon in another life

Well given what he does in this life, it's just as well he's precise 😱 !

Have to agree with everything said Rob. Such incredible attention to precise, clean and tidy detail. This is looking magnificent. It's all so good but I do especially like the cables on the crane!

Top job all round.

Terry

• Haha 1

Thanks for the comments Gents.  You are all very kind!!

(I seem to find it hard to use quotes across BM pages, so excuse their absence firs off)

Kev - I've tried plaiting wire to get smaller chain effect - it never seems to come out right - not tried thread.  The pay off with chain is that it hangs naturally and on this occasion given their position - that won the day.  I have a bit of a thing about gravity in modelling - things have to "hang" to look natural,  which is why I was pleased with the boat ropes - (pleased to hear that this practice is still extant - logical really)

Jamie nailed it for me...

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

All models are impressionistic to a degree ...........

Beefy - if Mrs B had said yest to trying out the Acupuncture needles........that might have just landed you iin some bother :whistle:

As to the template for the bow - I can always send you the one I used.

9 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Rob is quoting 12 links per centimetre, which is about the same as your 30 links per inch, so no difference really.

Kev suggested plaiting 3 strands of cotton, I'd suggest using very fine wire and a four strand square sinnet which gives a better impression of chain. Whether this turns out finer than the chain you already have will depend on how fine the wire is and how tight you can make the sinnet.

https://www.animatedknots.com/four-strand-square-sinnet-knot

Thanks for that link Dave - interesting.

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

I'm  not used to these small scales, only borrowers work that small :sorry:

Made me laugh :lol:  You large scale modellers dont know how good you have it!!

5 hours ago, Dancona said:

I'll second that, you have managed to hit that sweet spot, with a really (and I mean really) clean build but with a subtle weathered look, that Port side shot of the boat boom really does look like a much larger scale model (try 1;144), and as for your Walrus...........a jewel !

Inspirational stuff

David

Thanks David - after seeing your Victorious that means a lot!

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Well given what he does in this life, it's just as well he's precise 😱 !

Terry

Yes quite :lol::lol::bleh:  Thanks Terry.

4 hours ago, Bobs_Buckles said:

Far from chain, but could be used for steel cable.

Two lengths copper wire twisted. 0.26 diameter.

I may be able to go finer than this.

Keep on keeping on!

Bob

spacer.png  

Bob that looks excellent - next time I order any chance of me ordering some of that?

Thanks again all

Rob

• Like 3

Hi Rob,

Echoing what everyone else has said, your attention to the little details has resulted in a terrific looking build.  You're certainly setting the bar higher for the rest of us to try to  achieve. :worthy:  

John

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Echoing what everyone else has said, your attention to the little details has resulted in a terrific looking build.  You're certainly setting the bar higher for the rest of us to try to  achieve. :worthy:  

Just what @JohnWS and everyone else has said, the myriad of tine details that you have added to your model have elevated it from an excellent display piece to a first class replica of a working warship.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 5:13 PM, RGL said:

Very enjoyable build Rob, it’s been a great guide for mine. 

Thanks RGL

Well I guess it's over half way through this project with HMS Kent sitting in RFI

2020 10 22_0511

And here are the sisters with berwick soon tobe planted in the Styrofoam

2020 10 21_0421

I've got to that stage where an awful lot of work goes in with very little to show so here's a summary of current component progress

2020 11 07_0549

2020 11 07_0532

This particular launch is not available from Micromster and derives from kit plastic hull and WEM etch cabin - didn't tun out too bad

2020 11 07_0533

2020 11 07_0539

I mentioned before that the hangaer structure is almost a model in it's own right.  Sitting atop are the 36" searchlights from micromaster - things of sheer beauty!

2020 11 07_0535

2020 11 07_0537

2020 11 07_0536

2020 11 07_0541

2020 11 07_0542

2020 11 07_0543

The boat nearest is a Micromaster 30 ft gig, Ough states, "The gig was gnerally called the "Blue boat"as it was painted dark blue in the Home Fleet and pale blue in the Mediterranean Fleet, and it was kept in a condition of extreme smartness, evenmore so than the rest of those carried, whcih were also maintained at a high stnadard for it is an old saying in the Royal Navy that "a ship is known by her boats" and when away from the ship her boats'crews carry the credit fo the ship with them".

2020 11 07_0547

A nice touch from the WEM set is this Walrus trolley that was used to carry th aircraft in to the hanger

2020 11 07_0548

And one query for you all - the following pic shows the HACS mk IV on the right and the HACS Mk III on the left thatI've just received fom Mm.  The III is substantially smaller.  References indicate that the C class cruisers definitly carried HACS III and this is what it was bought for - Kent I'm certain carried HACS IV with the Type 285 radar - I can't find any specific mention as to whether Berwick would use III or IV in 1940.  Can anyonoe throw light on this??

2020 11 07_0546

More soon 

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 18

Absolutely superb work there Rob. Such meticulous, clean and tidy work.

Another masterclass in 1/350 modelling.

Terry

PS. So should have been Telford today and tomorrow. Such a shame we didn't get to have our regular catch up this year. Same goes to my other BM colleagues. Roll on the next one!

• Thanks 1

Rob, what can I say that everyone hasn't already said?  Another beautiful build in progress.  I luv the small boats' detail & the way you've finished them.

On 07/11/2020 at 09:08, robgizlu said:

... it is an old saying in the Royal Navy that "a ship is known by her boats" and when away from the ship her boats' crews carry the credit fo the ship with them". ...

I couldn't agree more.

I can't wait to see Berwick completed. :thumbsup:

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fellas

9 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

Flipping through my book of superlatives...

...hold on...

...still looking...

....looking...

...nope, I'm all out. 😀

Looks great Rob.

Matt

Aw Shucks :blush:

Now Mr P - when are we going to see you Blog a build?

I miss that quick wit and repartee ;)

Rob