1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

2 hours ago, BearAndRaggedStaff said:

Hi Rob.

Thanks for the info, I've had a scan through as right now I'm just about to publish a new topic for the additional pictures but I think one of them is of the mount you have been talking about. 

Et voila?

spacer.png

Cheers

Oops. I've jump the gun (too late to avoid the pun), that's the pom pom mount! So this must be starboard side facing forward.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2020 at 20:35, BearAndRaggedStaff said:

spacer.png

Dad on the left. I thought the colour of the deck skirting (if that's the correct term) is interestingly dark, perhaps black. I would have thought white was more appropriate to alert the malots to a trip hazard on a darkened ship. 

Great set of photos - thanks for posting here and over in the new thread.

The "skirting" is correctly called a spurnwater and its purpose is not, as many people think, the stop peoples feet from sliding under the guardrails but to control the flow of water on the upperdeck, directing it to scuppers (drains) where it can flow away safely without leaving dirty stains down the ship's side.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/23/2020 at 6:07 AM, longshanks said:

Two sets of PE at once ......  :frantic:

The man is either a Saint or a Nutter  :shrug:

Kev :penguin:

A wannbe smart-bottom more like........Who said building 2 cruisers side by side was a good idea :whistle:

And that Dan and that Stuart have been devilishly tempting me with 432s :undecided:

So to keep the momentum going some Berwick progress shots after a lot of work and not a lot of apparent progress.

I recieved another order from Simon at Micromaster with more "WW1" doors which I needed to finish pieces.  I got stung for £8 VAT and a £10 Post Office "handling fee" on this order so be warned!!!

The gun turrets actually turn out quite nice with the Eduard etch, not the easiest to fit mind.

DSCF9489

and here's a comparison with the Micromasteer turret

DSCF9493

We'll see how the Eduard turret looks painted up.

The Hanger is a small model in it's own right...

DSCF9491

DSCF9490

The WEMetch set doesn't contain any bling for the Control Directors so I've improvised both to give them some texture

The rear gun postions were completed as were the funnels which are time consuming especially with the fiddly etch cages at the tops.  I wish I could say that it was easier second time round......Not

DSCF9492

These HACS Mk 3 directors came in the Micromaster order and are every bit as nice and detailed as the Mk IVs.  The Bridge superstructure is nearly complete and thanks again to Paul as the main bridge is now modelled on Berwick's.

DSCF9487

DSCF9488

I've runout of ladders so the forward director is missing some.  There's an etch set on it's way from WEM along with 2 more sets of etched oars.( Boy these Cruisers Eat oars up!!)

The 4" guns moved aft are well reflected in this shot...

DSCF9486

I had thought I'd get some primer on by this stage but sadly not and I'm away for the next couple of Weekends so these builds may sludge for a bit.

DSCF9484

DSCF9485

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 17

Excellent looking detailed works on the superstructure there Rob. The turret comparisons show Micromaster perhaps having the edge but the kit version plus Eduard looks pretty good to my eyes too. Also like that last shot showing both these two magnificent 8 inch cruisers together.

There is something about these WWII RN cruisers that really appeals.

Terry

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Agree with Terry about that they both have elegant lines and look like they mean business going to look stunning with all the camo done.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

They're very handsome ships, making good progress Rob and you're a very brave man embarking on two parallel builds.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robgizlu said:

And that Dan and that Stuart have been devilishly tempting me with 432s :undecided:

and the Big Boys need temptation :hmmm:.....

Looking at your lovely clean work I've realised where I'm going wrong with my PE....

I need to take the boxing gloves off :shrug:

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 7/30/2020 at 10:53 PM, Courageous said:

Your work Rob is very neat and tidy, looking smart.

As for me tempting you, you haven't given in yet but if you do, you'll be weak like me.

Stuart

I'm a fully paid up member of the "Easily Lead Club" :whistle:

I blame those Big Boys @Courageousand @Dads203  :nodding:

DSCF9494

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

I'm a fully paid up member of the "Easily Lead Club" :whistle:

I blame those Big Boys @Courageousand @Dads203  :nodding:

DSCF9494

Rob

Eh ? .. I was no where near it, Didn't even touch it or even look at it and It couldn't of been me as I was down the shop getting a pint of milk :frantic:

• Haha 5

A question if i may just having aquired kent for myself and piling up the aftermarket goodies (thanks to your comprehensive list i dont suppose you have a link to your turned gun barrels i can only find ones for exeter and therefore two short lol )fantastic work by the way inspired me to get cracking with mine regards

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cedwards said:

A question if i may just having aquired kent for myself and piling up the aftermarket goodies (thanks to your comprehensive list i dont suppose you have a link to your turned gun barrels i can only find ones for exeter and therefore two short lol )fantastic work by the way inspired me to get cracking with mine regards

Hi and welcome to the site.

Here's a link to the barrells though I payed half that...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TMW-1-350-Metal-Barrels-for-Trumpeter-05353-05352-HMS-Cornwall-HMS-Kent-16pcs-se/193474614734?hash=item2d0bfc55ce:g:M5MAAOSweLVexYPF

If I'm honest I've used the Trumpeter kit barrels on Berwick which are just fine.  The metal barrells come out significantly smaller.  The Micromaster supplied barrels are the same size as the plastic kit ones.  I'm not certain the metal barrels are worth the above price.

And Thanks for your very kind comments.

Hope you blog your build here

Regards

Rob

I see what you mean rob just looked at the micromasters ones those turrets are a must have (my wallet must be beginning to hate me sigh ) yes indeed as soon as i get cracking ill blog mine mine on here hope it looks half as good as yours . Your photo etch looks amazing 

• Like 2

I can hardly believe it......This turned up today, ordered from North Star on 23.04.20

Nearly 14 weeks :phew:

DSCF9499

I had totally given up expecting it to arrive.  Those of you who've followed this blog may recall that it had the "Right" anti-skid pattern.  Having given up expecting it.  I sourced an alternative from Fretcetra 

If anyone is iinterested - each sheet would be enough to cover the foc'sle on Kent, but not provide any to be left over for the 4" gun deck areas.

DSCF9496

The other bits I was craving was the Royal Navy Figures set No 3  :clap: They are tiny and look rather marvellous

DSCF9497

The etch is a little finer than that of Fretcetera but it's marginal.  Next day delivery vs 14 weeks - Go figure!!

I appreciate that North Star do have a reputation for slow delivery and in fairness have a warning on their site accordingly.   Strange times :shrug:

Stay safe

Rob

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cedwards said:

I see what you mean rob just looked at the micromasters ones those turrets are a must have (my wallet must be beginning to hate me sigh ) yes indeed as soon as i get cracking ill blog mine mine on here hope it looks half as good as yours . Your photo etch looks amazing 

Micromaster.co.nz is causing me to set my retirement back :whistle:

You will not be disapointed by Simon's offerings.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Cedwards said:

Im genuinely scared iv spent well in excess than three times the cost of the kit already lol my MK1 radar etch arrived and lifecolours paints 

I think you will find, and I hope the collective wisdom of my colleagues on here will agree, that this makes you a seriously addicted maritime modeller. Welcome to the club!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

Rob,

Do you realise everyone knows where you live now?

Think of all the hate mail and begging letters - Bet you'll still send 'em!

Tom

He will be looking at getting a few stash guard dogs now :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3