1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

On 11/15/2020 at 7:46 PM, Modelholic said:

I could see an asdic trawler tied alongside as well.

Just saying!

Tom

On 11/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, robgizlu said:

Any idea where I get one of them ?  :winkgrin:

Nice idea.

Rob

Perhaps a little bit late to the party, wondering if this would be a suitable alternative ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:38 AM, RGL said:

Well I finished mine thanks to your build, a few differences, a few vents added amidships according to the photos. The Micromaster stuff is lovely isn’t it? https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25589-hms-kent-1942-by-rgl-trumpeter-1350-finished-heavy-cruiser/#comments

Greg - I wasn't aware ofyour build log!  I love your final result - a lot grungier than mine and all the better for it  

In no particular order - I really liked what you did with the deck weathering in particular B)

Your catapault is awesome - if I'd seen yours I'd have pimped mine some more - the fact that none of the current PE sets cover it was a real frustration and I may yet replace mine

You rigged your Walrus:worthy:   pressure now on to rig mine for Berwick  (damn damn damn!!!)

You rigged your mizen mast - I should have!!

Nice job on the splinter cladding - a damn sight cheaper than resin and just as effective

Congratulations on an absolutlely fabulous build

And Yes to the quality of the Micromaster goodies.  They really make building in 1/350 worthwhile with that sumptuous detail.  You covered your boats which is very obviously what happened in practice -  I ignored that  and they remain the favourite bit of mine due to the level of detail.

Why dont you blog here?

Best 

Rob

17 hours ago, Richard E said:

Perhaps a little bit late to the party, wondering if this would be a suitable alternative ?

Thanks Richard - I  wasn't aware of this - it actually looks fab and if I'd seen it last week I'd probably have bitten - as it is, I've "dug-out" the styrofoam and have already started gelling it.

You may likely see the above in one of my builds soon.

Good Call - I'm indebted 

Rob

• Like 3

On 11/18/2020 at 10:46 AM, Bobs_Buckles said:

Stunning work, Rob.

I'm looking forward to 90% becoming 100%. 

So am I these are very informative and inspirational builds this is giving me an awful lot of help when it comes round to me getting mine underway  :worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2

Just a thought and (probably) totally implausible, but could they be swapped?

Kent waterlined with trawler (I'd love to do a trot of three-ish with MTBs/MGBs/Flowers/a Hunt in a harbour setting (Harwich 1942?). Never happen, but you know!) Cornwall full hull?

Tom

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 8:15 AM, Steve D said:

Excellent stuff Rob, but why is your room so clean? makes me look like a tramp, must get the hoover out today...

I work from a desk which doubles up for work so space is limited - you just caught me on a good day;)

On 12/17/2020 at 7:03 PM, Iceman 29 said:

There is also ice cream for dessert! Great House! 😜

:D Waste not - want not!

So it's a Happy Christmas from me to all of You, with hoping for a considerably better New Year

Keep avoiding the Numpties, and beware the "Groupies"

Thanks for all your support and encouragement - Berwick is nearly done and I'm now waiting for our main downstairs table to be cleared of Christmas decorations for RFI pics!

Stay Safe & Party hard!

Rob

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

So it's a Happy Christmas from me to all of You, with hoping for a considerably better New Year

Likewise Rob!

Have a great one, and hopefully we can catch up sometime, somewhere in the new year!

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So with Berwick now in RFI we come to the Closedown entry and as is my custom I'll briefly summarize and review the items used.

This was an 8 month build project which began as HMS Kent but ended up with an extra in the form of HMS Berwick.

I remain grateful to all the help and support received particularly from @dickrd@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies with regard to colour schemes and @longshanks for his nautical knowledge and know how.  

Along the way we've delivered a revisionist Camouflage Scheme for a 1941 Kent which has been replicated at least once already on t'internet.

The project has spawned 3 RFIs

1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

Royal Navy 50ft Steam Pinnace - Micromaster 1/350

1/350 HMS berwick County Class Cruiser 1940

Here's the finished Berwick and some more shots of the sisters

2020 12 28_1018

I was particularly pleased with the Mooring chain arrangement after careful advice from Kev (@longshanks)  The shackle securing the chain to the buoy came from Shapeways and was originally sourced as part of the Nagmachon build.

2020 12 28_1081 Edit

2020 12 28_1091 Edit

2020 12 28_1089.JPG Edit

TrumpeterHMS Kent /Cornwall - Trumperter have produced an excellent and well fitting base model.  I can't comment on dimensional accuracy.  You'd end up with a very respectable model built OOB.  The enclosed etch especially in the form of the railings does not have the finesse of aftermarket sets and the weapons and boats are compartively detail- less.  The one annoying overesight in the case of Kent is the "Planked" focs'le which in reality was steel plate and is featured as such in Cornwall.  The blog details how this can remedied and one wood deck producer already includes an etch piece to easily rectify this oversight.  Addition of aftemarket accessories and photoetch really take the model to an altogether different level.

White Ensign Models Photoetch set HMS Cornwall - produced by Peter Hall of Atlantic Models, this is a large and comprehensive set.  Although designed for Cornwall, the majority of pieces will also apply to Kent.  Peter Hall has hinted at a dedicated HMS Kent set to be released.  The railings are particualry nicely done and remain a significant improvement on the kit supplied etch.  Thoroughly recommended.

Eduard Photoectch HMS Cornwall - Covers the same ground as White Ensign, comes in two different sets, one essentially general fittings and the second predominantly railings.  Interestingly there are bits here that don't appear in the White ensign set and vice versa.  So- do you need both?  Well ........no, not really - each is sufficient but for reasons that I forget, I ended up buying all and of course if you do - then you have enough for 2 ships:rofl2:  The cranes are certainly better detailed in the Eduard sets.  The one item that both lack being designed for Cornwall, is detail to pimp up Kent's catapault.   Neither contain portholes which is a shame.  The White ensign set includes the correct period doors - the Eduard set supplies the later "scallop" watertight doors that appeared on RN vessels bilt after the 30's. Again thoroughly recommended.  I honestly can't decide which is the better set, there's virtually nothing in it.  There's a mix and match on my models.  

Micromaster 3D printed parts - For me 3D printing has provided the impetus to model in 1/350.  The current generation of 3D printed pieces from Micromaster and Black Cat models has to be seen up close to be believed.  The Detail is just bewitching:yahoo:

Once you have seen them you'll only want to use their boats and weapons in the future together with the other myriad of accessories.  If you've bought from Shapeways previously and been a little dispaointed (I was), don't be put off trying the new generation of goodies.  Simon is slowly expanding his range that with a real emphasis on Royal Navy pieces.  The 50 Ft Steam Pinnace was such a delight I couldn't help featuring it a stand alone RFI.  Items such as watertight doors are considerably less fiddly than etch and look so much more realistic.  The addition of Flota-nets again adds that extra level of detail.  I could go on and on !!!  The downside is all the pieces add up financially and delivery time from NZ during Covid has been lengthy.  Love em, love em, love em!!

Black Cat Models - Based in Nantes France with a considerably smaller range than Micromaster but increasing.  Simialr level of detail and just as lerverly.  They do figures too though not Royal Navy currently.  I do hope that changes.  Thoroughly recommended

Paints and Weathering - Paint are from - Where else?  Sovereign Colourcoats produced by @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies.  If you haven't you really should, no I mean really, really should.  Put aside any prejudices you may have about enamels - just buy the Colourcats Specific naptha thinners and you'll soon stop thinking of them as enamels.  Thye spray beautifully, do not "lift" and dry remarkably quickly, acrylic like really!  I'm happpy in my mind that the colours are as authentic as we are ever going to get.   I hope that now Jamie has dropped his other product lines availabilty throughout the range will be more constant.   With the exception of wood tones all that you see is painted using Colourcoats.  Along the way I learnt that you can use the "hairspray" technique as per acrylics and they also brush well! Weathering is done using Mig Amo filters - Mig Productions Washes and Das Abteilung/AK inteactive oils.

Wooden Deck - used on Cornwall came from China via Ebay - designation CY350058.  Absolutely Fab in my opinion and provided it's "dulled" down with a wash looks the biz and is trouble fee to lay being perfectly laser cut to size

Rigging - Uschi "Fine" and "Standard" lycra with Bob's Buckles that make rigging considerably easier.  If i've popularized these with Ship modellers on this site then I can rest easy in my dotage ;)

Anchor Chain - YX models resin chain which is simply wondrous though sadly now appears to be no longer available.  I sincerely hope that someone else wil produce some similar equally accurate chain

NorthStar Figures - are from sets 1 and 3.  Northstar took over 4months to deliver at the height of Covid. They are marvellous and to my knowledge there is nothing elas available quite like them.  They are very difficutl to separate from the casting block but are wonderfully detailed.  Sadly now ONLY availble from NorthStar direct who are quoting 29Euros for delivery to UK.  I'm hopin gthat Black Cat will produce some.  Figures really do set the ship off, particularly in a dio setting

Name-it - name plate, quick efficient service and very reasonably priced IMHO

Sea Base - Styrofoam from 4D Model Shop using the dark high density variety.  The sea is exactly as per Chris Flodbergs "calm sea" technique.  You'll find several of his detailed "recipes" on the web and I again applaud his generosity of spirit in sharing his hard- found techniques so freely.  Liquitex "Gloss medium & Varnish" and Liquitex "High Gloss Varnish" are your special friends.  One quick tip is that the Gloss medium and varnish can be diluted with water and essentially self levels which is very useful when you are "planting" boats,buoys or ships into the Styrofoam.  In other words - put a pool of Gloss medium in to the crater you've made (for a full hull vessel) then place the object and the medium will rise to be flush with the surround.  Wipe away any excess et voila!

So it's a wrap - Thanks again for all the likes, support, humour and interaction.  This has been a real antidote to the pretty grim reality of the last year.

Rob

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Absolutely beautiful Rob.

As much as I like to see full hull models, you can't beat a seascape waterline model IMHO. She looks superb.

Happy New Year.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All great stuff Rob, but that water is just amazing.  Imagine one of those calm misty mornings, no sound just the gentle heave of the swell, totally convincing and super weathering, master class! :worthy:

The scale is still for borrowers though, just saying.....

Steve

• Haha 2

I'm not a ship builder but it's been an enjoyable education to follow this build.

If there's one element that sums up the level of detail across the whole project it is that the Steam Pinnace which helps bring the HMS Berwick model replica to life contains enough detail to merit its own RFI 

• Thanks 1

Great summary and shopping list and thank you again for putting me on to so many of the AM little details Bobs Buckles and Micro master to name a couple I have not forgotten I still owe you that drink. :drink:

Best Wishes for 2021  :party: Let's ALL hope it is more memorable than 2020 for better reasons 😷

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1