1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

On 11/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, BearAndRaggedStaff said:

BBC4 now, Lost Films of WW2 , S1E2 - HMS KENT filmed from and by George Blundell(?) 

Hi Paul - I was channel flicking and stumbled over it - I could barely believe it!!!  

Lovely views though a timely reminder as to the damage these vessels routinely endured.

I checked to see if that film featured anywhere on YouTube but I couldn't find it.

Worth checking out peeps on BBC Iplayer catch up for County Class devotees

Rob

• Thanks 1

I tried berwick iin her base - still judgingthe best time to plant and glue her down.  She'll be tied up to a buoy in flat calm water with her port boom extended, rear access ladder lowered attened by a 50 ft Steam Pinnace.

Could I find my mooring buoy courtesy of L'arsenal ????

Someone's taken it  :rant:  Or more likely it fell of fthe side of my desk un-noticed into my bin  :rage:

So it was scratch time.....I had a smaller one which was ...too small

2020 11 10_0682

2020 11 10_0683

2020 11 10_0684

2020 11 14_0697

Redemption after stupidity :lol:  I'll shall be making them in the future.

So we could get to this

2020 11 10_0686

2020 11 10_0685

I've been looking for ways to slide white glue down the sides so as to seal.  Some sort of quill and syringe with watered down PVA is the best solution to date.

Thanks to all those kind people who gave likes and added comment to my 50ft Steam Pinnaces in RFI

Royal Navy 50ft Steam Pinnace - Micromaster 1/350

Here are somepreamble shots.  They really are a delight from Simon Percival at Micromaster.

2020 10 12_0124

2020 10 12_0126

2020 10 12_0129

2020 11 07_0545

2020 11 10_0681

I couldn't resist mounting one - Simon has jsut released the 3 pounder gun recently which realy sets it off IMO.  This schem mirrors the one worn by the original exampe kep by the Royal Navy museum in Portsmouth

Steam-Pinnace-199

2020 11 10_0672

The North Face figures are reallly nice but are an absolute nightmare to get off their moulding block.  I spent 3 hours taking off 25 yesterday so as to preapre for use on Berwick.  They are only available from North Star currently who are suggesting a P&P of 29 euros or an 18 ero set!  Strange times :whistle:

Work continues on the superstructure with the mast being stepped - you have to do this in stages so as to place the deck to deck access ladders.  The plast mast whilst very nice is quite bendy so the plan was to get some stays up before attacking the ,ast ladders

2020 11 14_0693

The ladders on Berwick were in fact rope not fixed as is evidenced by one of Paul's excellent pictures

Berwick From Below_2_psp

Eduard quite correctly bid you twist their offerings - a little nerve wracking!!

2020 11 14_0690

2020 11 14_0691

the final result turned out OK.

After seeing @Mikemc 's excellent and superbly weathered "Soya" today......

Soya 1:250 Pontos Models

I went back and reweathered my waterline taking inspiration form Mike's example.  Mine was far too clean.  Thank You Mike!!

2020 11 14_0692

2020 11 14_0694

2020 11 14_0695

Planting soon!

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

That micromaster stuff is stunning taking lots of notes for when I get round to my offering if I ever get the cage ariels done

Cracking job  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Paul - I was channel flicking and stumbled over it - I could barely believe it!!!  

Lovely views though a timely reminder as to the damage these vessels routinely endured.

I checked to see if that film featured anywhere on YouTube but I couldn't find it.

Worth checking out peeps on BBC Iplayer catch up for County Class devotees

Rob

Hi Rob. Yes, I was in another room and when I heard HMS Kent mentioned I dashed in then realised others would be interested so hence the hurried comment. I managed to get most of the program recorded but as you say it is likely to be on the IPlayer.

I am absolutely in awe of the work you have done. Beautiful modelling. Glad the picture helped. My Dad would be so interested to see what you have achieved but sadly it was 30 years ago this month that we lost him. He's now at Spit Head.

Cheers, Paul

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Michael M said:

Rob, the only way to cut them dudes off the block is razor saw. 

If I may suggest something - "bohemian/czech razor saw" is very good and commonly known but I love Hasegawa Trytool sets TP3 and TP-4. They are very thin (especially TP-4) and have very unique, curved shapes, so you can use it even in very hard-to-access places. 

Best regards,

Michal.

Edited by socjo1

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

After seeing @Mikemc 's excellent and superbly weathered "Soya" today......

Soya 1:250 Pontos Models

I went back and reweathered my waterline taking inspiration form Mike's example.  Mine was far too clean.  Thank You Mike!!

You welcome. Glad that I can help. :)Good luck with continuation of your build.

• Like 1

Lovely work on the mooring buoy, Rob.  Berwick's diorama is going to look awesome. :speak_cool:

I came across the PE saws by accident a little while ago, and I've been using them quite a bit with both plastic & resin parts ever since.  Most recently detailing Brave Borderer's anchor.  I'm on my second set of saws due to the one issue I've had with them.  They bend very easily when applying too much pressure or when I didn't hold the saws directly in line with where I was cutting.  No problems since I learned to slow down & watch what I was doing.

John

• Like 2

Look what you people do to me - it's actually quite a brilliant idea marred only by some timing....

Round Table Trawlers weren't launched until Dec 1941- long after this paint scheme.............Phew :phew:

Rob

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, Modelholic said:

What about an early war sub instead of a trawler or a corvette?

Must admit I don't know if 'Tabard' could be altered for use.

Tom

Hi Tom

All good ideas but this Blog is long enough.  I relly like the idea of a Round Table Trawler alongside another vessel and may revisit this.

It's a great shame that Starling Models don't currently do the TID class British tug.  There's really nothing else around.

Onwards and upwards....

The 32 ft boats will be modelled swung out and the only really practical way to do that is to have some "hidden" supports so.....

2020 11 14_0698

Rigging continues on the fwd mast and for anyone who's building Cornwall or Berwick, these following pics are probably all you need - I list them for your convenience

With grateful acknowledgement to IWM collections - a truly remarkable enterprise

BG-County-2000x1200

HMS BERWICK

N08279

2020 11 17_0713

The Mizen mast is stepped awaiting access ladder and suitable rigging - this will have to wait until it's attached to the deck.  It's very bendy and very delicate 

2020 11 17_0711

The railings occupied a morning of high nevous energy...

2020 11 17_0717

And then trial planting setting out "indents" in the base to accept the surrounding boats.  They are too delicate to file flat to waterline.

2020 11 17_0705

I've been musing on water colours and these are trial efforts.

2020 11 17_0710

From L to R - Vallejo MC 898 dArk Sea blue/ Vall MA 054 : 090  1 : 1/  Vall MA 054 : 090  2 : 1/ Vall MA 259 Grey Violet.  Current money is on 3rd from L.  The colour deepens considerably with the application of Varnish

Work begins on the base with a "Sealing" coat of Liqitex Gloss medium and Varnish

2020 11 17_0707

It will require several more.

And these are positively the final vanity shots of the full hull model approx 90% finished

2020 11 17_0701

2020 11 17_0702

2020 11 17_0704

And finally a Shout-out once again to Name It who produce really high quality plaques at very modest prices.  A bit like Bob's buckles, they deserve a modelling equivalent of an Oscar IMHO :clap2:

Ordered Saturday - these arrived today 

2020 11 17_0708

No more posts for a while because it will take days for successive fillers to dry etc

Thanks for looking, comments and likes - hugely appreciate your continued support

Rob

• Like 14