1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

I imagine the removal of the starboard crane jib was a late war weight saving measure.

Also curious as to what's peeking above the bridge structure (Another ships gun director?)

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, longshanks said:

Alright for you to say but from here it looks like the earth is starting to tilt on its axis :shrug:

Avoid the numpties and stay safe

Kev

ermmm,  yes (I think:hmmm:)

18 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lovely looking cranes, just got to finish them off with fitting the cables :whistle:

Stuart

He's never satisfied..........

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Fantastic looking cranes Rob, and very pleased to see another Atlantic models beauty lining up in the chocks!

Terry

Thanks Terry - the moulding looks exemplary and I'm looking ofrwards to kick-off!

9 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I imagine the removal of the starboard crane jib was a late war weight saving measure.

Also curious as to what's peeking above the bridge structure (Another ships gun director?)

Tom

Tom, the picture was taken at Devonport in March 1941 before her refit as evidenced by the single (non tripod) mast and the absence of radar.  I suspect the jib was removed for maintenance as it reappears in post refit pics.  Without it she would have been unable to launch her Stbd side boats.  I agree, definitely another ship ahead as evidenced by the mast and gun director.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well another Forum update and at the risk of sounding extremely narcissistic, I regret the loss of being able to see how often threads are viewed above 1000.  Increments of 0.1k  now prevail.  Tant pis :weep:

I've talked alot about Micromaster in this thread, so it's time to give a mention to https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/ who are releasing an increasing number of 1/350 Royal Navy items.  I've been in awe of Crisp's @Ex-FAAWAFU build of the 8 Barrel Pom pom which was incredibly intricate.  I've gone for the altogether easier and more convenient option ...

2020 10 12_0123

The quality of resin 3D moulding is the equal of Micromaster and delivery (from I believe Nantes France) is 6 times quicker

2020 10 15_0107

2020 10 16_0214

Now how nice is that!

The Mizen mast is now stepped and the qud 0.5 in guns are now evident in all their lovely detail

2020 10 15_0222

2020 10 15_0112

The 20mmOerlikons are fitted to B and X turrets

2020 10 15_0114

2020 10 15_0227

Railings have now been fitted all around and I used these from the Eduard set.  The books tend to say use thinned white PVA glue to attach but it never seems to work well for me and FWIW, I much prefer CA glue having first positioned the railings using strips of Tamyia masking tape to hold in place

2020 10 15_0110

2020 10 16_0216

And this pic is especially for Stuart @Courageous  ;)

2020 10 16_0325

And here's some more Ship's boats painting

2020 10 16_0331

I've glazed them with Kristal Klear

2020 10 16_0332

I've been holding off doing the Walrus - slightly intimidated by the whole task especially the canopy glazing :shrug:

2020 10 13_0119

2020 10 13_0231

2020 10 13_0121

2020 10 14_0229

2020 10 16_0327

2020 10 16_0329

2020 10 16_0330_edited-1

The kit supplied decals are Type A roundels which i don't think would have fitted a 1941 time frame so I found some suitable Type B roundels from an old Model Decal set

The canopy glazing is crude but will do

Thanks for looking - end in sight and next post is likely to wrap up HMS Kent

Rob

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

... - end in sight and next post is likely to wrap up HMS Kent ...

You've been busy Rob.  Your attention to the little details makes those small assemblies look like they're a much larger scale in the photos. :goodjob:

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

at the risk of sounding extremely narcissistic, I regret the loss of being able to see how often threads are viewed above 1000.  Increments of 0.1k  now prevail.  Tant pis :weep:

As a daffodil I completely agree with you :fight:

As to your vessel what can I say :shrug:.

Your work is so clean and precise, I'm sure you were a eye surgeon in another life

The boats and Walrus ..... :worthy:

I wait impatiently for the next update

Avoid the numpties and stay safe

Kev

• Like 2

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I've gone for the altogether easier and more convenient option ...

Cheated you mean  :nono:

Now stop that and get a full brass set out and build 6 for each side whether you need them or not that is your detention young lad  :smartass:

But they do look seriously impressive and the rigging on the cranes  :clap: i think stuart should build the next ones for you as an apology  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Fellas.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:46 PM, stevehnz said:

So, you're not going to rig the Walrus?  Thought it would be a given after the cranes. ;) :D

Joking aside the detail in here is incredible & fantastic. Impressed doesn't begin to cover it. :)

Steve

Steve - at some before building it I did seriously consider doing it :mental:  :lol:

On 10/16/2020 at 8:13 PM, beefy66 said:

Cheated you mean  :nono:

Now stop that and get a full brass set out and build 6 for each side whether you need them or not that is your detention young lad  :smartass:

Stay Safe

beefy

Give a young lad a break :waiting:

Contradicting my last post about wrapping up - I'd undeer-estimated how much left there was to do :closedeyes:

Kent had odd tubes arising from the cross-tree bits - (go back and look at the photos if you don't believe me :bleh:)  so once again I invoke Bob "Von Buckle" (https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/) who does micto tubes in different lenghts tha you cn use to "sheath" thread.

2020 10 20_0335

Et voila!!!

2020 10 19_0339

2020 10 19_0341

Fraught to do but makes a big visual difference.

Here's the original pic to compare...

screenshot

Next - I fitted the paravane chains that are quite prominent in war pics.  They were used to "fly" the paravane and thanks to that excellent Gentleman @longshanks I have diagrams that indicate that in windsurfing terms these chains we'd call uphaul/downhauls. This is positively the thinnest chain I can source and is still a bit overscale but Hey - it's a model, and once again they add to the visual impact

2020 10 20_0337

In a similar vein of seeking as much realistic detail as possible Norman Ough writes that the 32 ft Cutters, "when they are turned outboard in harbour there is always a long line of heavy rope, called the boat rope, leading from the bows of the cutters to bollards far up on the forecastle to which they are lead through small fairleads".  Interestingly the available pics of 1941 Kent under way with the cutters inboard show these boat lines were still kept on.  I riginally thought I'd use fiine thread waxed to straighten it.  That idea failed to survive first contact so I resorted to some 0.1mm copper wire I had courtesy of Modelling tools which will straighten if you run it through your fingers.  Sticking it down is another matter requiring CA accelerator:rage:

2020 10 20_0336

It hangs naturally enough and paints up using my Go-to rope colour Lifecolor Hemp, and her's the Starboard side with the boat boom secured - which itself was am nor exercise in dexterity

2020 10 20_0338

And here's the Norman Ough book, which I've found to be an incredibly useful reference book - couldn't do without it!!!

2020 10 20_0342_edited-1

So with the end of the Kent build really truly near - I'd left the Type 281 radar to the last.  There are sets included in Peter Halls White Ensign PE set which he'd have you construct from 4 pieces :shocked:

I happened to have the Mk1 Design Royal Navy set which is a little hard to come by but rather splendid.  The 281 offerings in this come as a one piece and just require some careful folding.

2020 10 20_0334

Scan0010

This is also where the Type 284 radar came from earlier in the build.

2020 10 20_0333

Should have Kent final details done by day's end - back to work tomorrow so RFI W/E earliest

Thanks for looking, the likes and the very kind comments 

Rob

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

called the boat rope, leading from the bows of the cutters to bollards far up on the forecastle to which they are lead through small fairleads"

I've read that also, I believed they were to allow a boat to be deployed as a rescue boat while the vessel still had some way on her in case of a man overboard.  I fitted one on HMS Medea (WW1 destroyer)

Excellent fine detail work there Rob, that scale is too small for me to even consider  :yikes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking stunning there Rob and thanks to you and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies I have been getting a few things dropped off by the postman Bob's Buckles and 1.5mm tube as well as some acupuncture needles missus B gave me a funny look when I asked if she wanted to find out if they worked  :nono:

and of course some plastic and brass sheet from scale link will have to have another read on how you did the template for the bow  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

What size are the links on that paravane chain, roughly, Rob?

Approx 12 links per cm Jamie.   If you have anything smaller, I'll gladly take it though the paravane chains are glued in place now.

Rob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve D said:

I've read that also, I believed they were to allow a boat to be deployed as a rescue boat while the vessel still had some way on her in case of a man overboard.

That’s exactly what they were for - and they remained in use (with evolving boats, obvs) until the 90s at least; maybe still today for all I know 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That’s exactly what they were for - and they remained in use (with evolving boats, obvs) until the 90s at least; maybe still today for all I know 

Not just grey funnel line either, we had the same arrangement for lifeboats on RN container ships, and still in use today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Approx 12 links per cm Jamie. 

Rob,

12 links is actually quite coarse.  Below are a few examples from my chain locker stock

DSCN1929

The brass chains here are ~30 links per inch, the black one is a little less (~24 I think) but very fine and may be better for your model.  From memory I got these from a fine scale model railway site, but checking my email, I can't seem to find the order reference, sorry. 

If you can't source them yourself, let me know what length you need.  I buy this stuff for stock so I always have some to hand, I'd be happy to let you have some if it helps

Steve