1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

Two stunning cruisers coming along there Rob. Making many notes for my first 1/350 surface warship, for when my initial foray with the Song class sub is complete. This thread and several others on here are very inspiring indeed.

Terry

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic work Rob but how the heck do you make sure that your upper works masking lines up...

Stuart

Hi Stuart

With some difficulty - I used a protracter and then a straight edge to gauge the lines across stepped surfaces - and then when it goes wrong go back and remask ;)

Rob

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RGL said:

So on the original photos of the Kent, there were 2 lines of portholes, was the second (lower) row covered up? 

Hi RGL - Yes.  As per this 1941 pic. 

HMS KENT, BRITISH KENT CLASS CRUISER. 3 NOVEMBER 1941, AT ANCHOR IN SCAPA FLOW.

HMS Berwick/Cornwall as modelled by Trumpeter in the earlier configuration, shows the the 2 levels as per the follwing pics.  

DSCF9532

Some more "crew" arrived from BNA Australia - delivery within 10/7!!!  Compared as you'll recall to that from North Star which took 14 weeks :lol:  It seems like a long way off before I'll be using them :whistle:

DSCF9537

Limited time this week (end)  The usual things preventing  :rage:

However the hairspray method unequivocally works and I remain delighted :clap:

DSCF9533

DSCF9534

DSCF9535

DSCF9540

DSCF9541

DSCF9542

The port side superstructure Camo is completed

DSCF9543

The temptation to keep placing them together is irresistible...

DSCF9544

Good people - Does anyone know whether there was a convention for the colour of Depth markings?

They were white on Kent - do you think they would be White or Black on the grey 507A hull?

Filters next then the wood veneer deck.

Thanks for looking, commenting and the Likes

rob

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

The temptation to keep placing them together is irresistible...

They do look stunning together and the weathering is really taking them both to another level  👍

9 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Does anyone know whether there was a convention for the colour of Depth markings?

Rob not fully sure on this subject but looking at photos in my ref books and online there does seem to be a level of standard in that if the hull colour is light as in light grey or white the depth marking are black and if the hull is a darker colour then white markings are used  :book:

But I am sure someone will correct me on that

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d say the most likely answer re draft marks is whichever gave them enough contrast to be legible - they serve a purely practical purpose so need to be readable, which suggests white vs dark hull & dark vs light hull is the logical answer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 9:29 AM, RGL said:

So, what is the circular item on the rear deck of Kent? It’s in the Morskie plans as well but it does add any detail or explanation. 

Hi RGL

I've assumed (after Eric Leon's profile) that this was a 20mm Oerlikon station though in truth in this picture of Kent that doesn't seem to be the case, and instead it appears to be being used for storage

ON BOARD THE CRUISER HMS KENT AT SEA. 22 OCTOBER 1941.

Expect some more progress soon - I did warn that I had several weekends away!

Rob

• Like 2

Judging by the photos I have, it seems to have taken some time before Kent received her Oerlikons after she emerged from her repairs in September 1941. I have photos up to and including early November 1941 where although the pedestals and shields are present, there seem to be no actual 20mm gun barrels on B & X turrets. There is then a gap in my photos until March 1942. The quality of the March 1942 photo is poor but I think the guns themselves on B&X turrets are fitted at that time, but the tub on the quarterdeck still seems to be used for storage. I have a photo dated 12 April 1942 very clearly showing 20mm gun barrels on B&X turrets but again nothing yet in the quarterdeck tub. The first dated photo I have showing a single shielded 20mm in that tub on the quarterdeck is dated 23 May 1942.

• Like 2

I ordered this from Black Dragon/Morskie on 28.04.20.  It was delivered yesterday - I had given up any hope of it ariving.  

DSCF9558

Nearly 5/12!!!  Thanks to Black Dragon regardless of the delay.  In truth it contains no new photos.

I received another order from Micromaster and once again got stung for a £22 bill comprising ?£14 for VAT and an £8 handling charge from the Post Office.  I presume the £ 14 is VAT and not a customs charge as the Revenue site says you can recieve up to £135 of goods before exacting a charge.  Be Warned good people - 4 orders 2 of which incurred this extra charge.  It still makes for better monetary ( and quality) value than Shapeways.  A sign of more to come methinks when UK formally departs the EU.

Needless to say - the quality of the Micromaster items was as ever, breathtakingly good!!

Well this is a resumption of sorts after a break of several weeks so let's get on with the show..

Final weathering on Berwick - I wanted a pretty used look even though she probably wore this scheme for no more than 12/12 - it was in the N sea and Scandi waters

DSCF9546

DSCF9545

It's my first experienc of using a wood deck on a big scale.  I love them but it is a bit bright.

DSCF9547

I experimented with some very dilute enamel washes using my "Go-to" Mig productions "neutral wash"

DSCF9549

DSCF9553

the wash has been used onthe left - subtle but dirties it down.

DSCF9550

It's clearer in this pic as to the dulling effect

DSCF9555

DSCF9552

The Bollards are not "capped" so 0.3 plastruct thickness 1.8 mm diam discs are punched out and applied

DSCF9557

Both hulls are now at a similar stage so it's onto the funnels and supestructure next.

DSCF9556

I've dabbled with some boat painting just to take a distraction

DSCF9548

Expect the pace to up for a while 

As ever thanks for looking and Likes ;)

Rob

• Like 20

The decking looks great with the light oil wash will have to give that a go on the Lord Nelson and I am sort of trying to get the ships oats done but yours are looking very neat cracking job

You back for while to catch up now then missed these updates  :popcorn:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guys.

Did someone say Stays......???

DSCF9559

Interpreting from photographs exactly where the Funnel stays embedded is difficult and it's apparent that there was considerable variation in arrangments between different vessels of the County Class.

This is the closest interpretation I could manage.  The job was made easier by using https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/ 1/48 buckles and using "running" lines rather than securing each and every stay.

DSCF9560

DSCF9561

DSCF9562

Attention turns to masts.  berwick in 1940/41 had a tall aft mizen which was virtually the same height as the foremast.  Trumpeter only provide a cut down mizen that Cornwall used in her late years

So......

DSCF9563

A 1/700 masters mast was cut down and fitted.

Kent's masts are the tripod type that were eventually fitted to all fo the County Class cruisers.  The 3 holes on the mizen mast failed to align...

DSCF9564

The forward securing hole was filled and the front leg will glue straight to the deck to get correct sit and alignement.

DSCF9565

I'm not looking forward to folding the etched crosstrees :undecided:

The next real decision is when to "plant" Berwick into the styrofoam base - the sides need filling so once she's in - there's no going back - detail first then plant or plant and detail whilst iin the base - there's the rub :hmmm:

Thanks for looking (and just who are these "numpties"? I think we should be told!)

;)

• Like 13

Fine work on those stays Rob, looking the biz.

Good trick with the extension....

As for setting in sea base. I wrap the hull in clingfilm. Do whatever is reqd, let it set. Remove the hull from the clingfilm and then remove the film from the base. 

Any touch ups will be minimal

HTH

Avoid the numpties and stay safe

Kev

A numpties is any person that makes you think WTF.......

or makes you wish you were a gun owner

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Those stays look great buckles duly ordered thanks for the tip  :book:

I am with Kev as to setting in the base I try and get most of the stuff on that I know will not get in the way while building and clingfilm the hull to make it easy to remove if needed then set it when I am just adding the final touches usually the main deck rails

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1