1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

On 8/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, Cedwards said:

Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth i expect ill be needing some of that rob if nobody else is in the queue (gladly reimburse you for it of course ) regards colin 

9 hours ago, Pak75 said:

Rob

HMAS Sydney forecastle will need some etch if any going (after Cedwards of course). Name yr price! Royal Mail to Australia may be quicker than Latvia to UK...

Cheers

Hi Colin and Pak75 - Aplogies as I probably didn't word the phrase well.  What I was meaning to say was that anyone considering buying the Anti-skid from North Star should be aware that it is sufficient only for covering the Foc'sle area and would not be enough for any further such as the 4" gun areas.

I regret that I'll be hanging onto mine for the spares locker.  Whilst it is definitely a finer etch (in detail) IMO you'd be much better off seeking the sheet from Fretcetera https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk/product/sl32f31/ both in terms of amount and delivery time

Sorry if I inadvertedly misled !

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!!

First off - good and knowledgable people....can anyone tell me what these 2 obects are?  The first sits on the deck ventilators - the second on the superstructure deck...

DSCF9501_LI

DSCF9500_LI

Super-fast deliveery From White Ensign Models once again - much needed oars and ladders etc - essential - thanks WEM :clap:

DSCF9510

And some general progress shots..

DSCF9502

And thanks to whoever explained that -  The trick to bending etch is to press into an India rubber with whatever curved implement you are using - I am eternally grateful!

DSCF9503

DSCF9504

DSCF9505

DSCF9506

DSCF9507

DSCF9508

The turrets primed showed significnat spaces between the top etch and the pastic - a real drwback so it's back to the (invaluable) Mr Hibby Liquid putty.

DSCF9509

Likewise where I'd filled locating holes for rafts sat proud so back to re-sanding key areas

DSCF9512

Learning from Kent - 3mm masking tape  :yes:

DSCF9514

And since the red antifouling will be hidden within the base - I thought I'd experiment with the hairspray technique having read in one of the other BM sections (?avation and apologies to whoever did thsi first - I omitted to write down name and location) that it was possible with enamel Colourcoats paints!

The VERY happy answer is - IT IS.  Using just 2 layers of "Worn effects" (other brands are available), 20 mins after application of the red, I scrubbed with a bristled brush or used an acupuncture needle to "scratch" the top layer of paint.  The trick is to get water to the starch layer that will then lift (hopefully) giving a pleasing and natural chipped effect.

DSCF9515

DSCF9516

DSCF9517

I'll try the same on the hull sides with a base layer of 507C then worn effects then 507A over showing some chippig at water line and bow.

DSCF9518

Thanks for looking 

Stay Safe Y'all

Rob

• Like 25

Rob,

Could you post pics of the instruction steps regarding those two parts?

A bit of perspective might help ID them.

I'm thinking (tentatively) some sort of hoist arm and maybe damage control timber beams?

Tom

• Like 1

I'm quite surprised that the hairspray technique works with Colourcoats enamels Rob, as I always thought the idea was to wet the top surface which re-activated the underlying hairspray chemical allowing the paint to "flake" a bit. I'd assumed it was something to do with Acrylics themselves. Had no idea it would work with enamels too. You learn something every day!

I would be interested in @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies view.

Great looking hull effects.

Terry

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm quite surprised that the hairspray technique works with Colourcoats enamels Rob, as I always thought the idea was to wet the top surface which re-activated the underlying hairspray chemical allowing the paint to "flake" a bit. I'd assumed it was something to do with Acrylics themselves. Had no idea it would work with enamels too. You learn something every day!

I would be interested in @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies view.

Great looking hull effects.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I wrote a thread on exactly this a while ago using a Corsair as a test model. It works fine. It also works on lacquer paints.

Ithink this is one of these examples of a subject whereby someone presumed something, voiced it without ever troubling himself to test it first, and it got repeated and repeated until it became "common knowledge".

I certainly "knew" it wouldn't work until I realised I'd never once seen someone prove it so I got out the paint mule and gave it a go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 5:19 PM, Modelholic said:

Rob,

Could you post pics of the instruction steps regarding those two parts?

A bit of perspective might help ID them.

I'm thinking (tentatively) some sort of hoist arm and maybe damage control timber beams?

Tom

Thanks Tom - here are the pics

Scan0002

part E35 might be shoring timbers as you suggest :hmmm:

Scan0001

and E6 ??

23 hours ago, RGL said:

So, whilst in the process of buying up stuff for my Kent, I order up the metaled deck (which got here really quickly from the UK) then I find that Joy yard wooden deck for the Kent has a PE focsle!  https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/5cfzg2nkcv9rp5mrtwzf.html

I'm not surprised - kudos to them for their enterprise - wonder if they've been following the Blog ;)

21 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Terry,

I wrote a thread on exactly this a while ago using a Corsair as a test model. It works fine. It also works on lacquer paints.

Ithink this is one of these examples of a subject whereby someone presumed something, voiced it without ever troubling himself to test it first, and it got repeated and repeated until it became "common knowledge".

I certainly "knew" it wouldn't work until I realised I'd never once seen someone prove it so I got out the paint mule and gave it a go.

Jamie - apologies for forgetting it was you and the Corsair.  Totally agree with you and Thanks!!!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW I'm thinking (E6) a spreader for the funnel stays or similar. It's too short to be a derrick arm!

and (E35) a pontoon to secure alongside the ship to aid in painting?

Just guesses I'm afraid.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2020 at 10:09, robgizlu said:

The first sits on the deck ventilators - the second on the superstructure deck...

The first looks like it could be spreaders/lead inlet for wireless aerials, there would be a lead from each end to the mid point of an aerial wire strung between the two masts (dipole aerial)

The second looks like it could be a raft/pontoon for painting the hull etc.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input Fellas.

Another intensive episode of masking gets us to this...

DSCF9520-1

DSCF9522-1

DSCF9523-1

still some left to do on the port Bridge superstructure - getting the angles right and the camo lines to align wasn't easy.

So - it's time to return to Kent that has sat on the sidelines, with work now on Berwick having brought it up to a similar stage.

I used a neutral Grey washon the deck as a trial with dark wash was a bit OTT.  It's subtle.

DSCF9524-1

It certainly adds depth to the moulded deck that I think is rather good.  Berwick is due a Wood veneer deck

So the remainder of today (after having watched 2 games of rugby...On a Tuesday!!!!!  Strange times) was spent applying wash to the deck and then a start on weathering to the anti-fouling and hull with oils.  I was a bit looser with Berwick's anti-fouling during painting and it's more effective.

DSCF9525-1

DSCF9526-1

DSCF9529-1 DSCF9528-1

DSCF9530

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 12