1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

Rob take care when building two at once not to get things mixed up although with me it was a Sherman tank and a MTB. 😜

all the goodies are really starting to make a big difference even at this early stage 👍

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, Rob it'll be interesting seeing those two ships together.

And Beefy, how could you possibly confuse parts for a tank and torpedo boat? 😁

Regards, Jeff.

Jeff,,,Well in my defence I was building a Gun boat and you have said yourself how mad some of my ideas can get. 🤣

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The photo of Berwick in a fjord which Mike E posted is available on the IWM website, ref A7319, where the caption says " ON BOARD HMS VICTORIOUS. 23 TO 28 JANUARY 1942, ON BOARD THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER AT HVALFJORD, ICELAND. HMS VICTORIOUS ALONG WITH OTHER SHIPS OF THE FLEET ON PATROL IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC IN SEARCH OF THE GERMAN BATTLESHIP TIRPITZ - Object description: The cruiser HMS BERWICK refuelling. The tanker can be seen on the starboard side.

". (excuse SHOUTING - the main caption on the website is in capitals!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 8:59 PM, robgizlu said:

The Styrofoam comes from 4D Model Making Materials.

An excellent supplier who I know very well as I spent almost 3 years working close to their shop in London. Have spent many very happy lunch hours there, as well as much money! An Aladdin's cave of hobby materials and tools.

These two cruisers are coming along so well. Very inspirational.

Now, which one shall I go for ............... 🤔

Terry

PS. My snips have arrived!!

Hi Rob

Firstly let me compliment you on such a fantastic treatment of this Kent Class kit and for sharing your build. The level of detail you are achieving with the additional after market stuff from Micromaster and Eduard etc is stunning as is the paint work and the research you have put in..... so much so that I thought it might be of interest to see some pictures from my Father's album of when he served in HMS Berwick from Dec '38 to Jan '41. Although I've done kit building in the past, I am more into railway modelling so my visit to this forum has taken a bit of an arc.

Since my father died in 1990 I took over his navy stuff and pictures that includes a framed picture of HMS Berwick which is labelled "My First Ship" and one the ship's badges he somehow got his hands on. I had been meaning to combine these in a display with a model of the ship and indeed some years ago my nephew gave me the Airfix 1:600 HMS Suffolk knowing this and so with the recent Covid 19 lockdown my thoughts turned the other day to building it. However when I started I thought that maybe there was a better version available so I got on the interweb and discovered the Trumpeter 1:350 HMS Cornwall which appeared to fit the bill. Then I noticed the HMS Kent version and its higher price alerted me to the fact that it included photo etched parts – even better. It was then while looking for videos reviews of it being built that a came upon your postings here at Britmodellers.

After reading though your work in progress it became clear to me that I needed to do a bit of research myself to capture Berwick’s condition for the period of the Dad’s service in her and realised that I had source material from his photo album. From these I could see that B and X turrets had not yet received the AA mounting upgrade and the fo’c’stle  was already with the diamond sheeting.  Armed with this I think I will have a go at the Cornwall (I now believe it does come with etched parts) and luckily the paint scheme was good old grey and buff! Other photos don’t reveal much but given your level of detailing I thought there might be something of interest to you. The photos I have should probably go to a more appropriate site but that’s for another day – another lockdown activity for me has been chronicling three generations of my family on the railways from the 1800s.

Cheers

Paul

PS. Have you considered “crewing” the models?

The+Sprog_2_psp.jpg

My dad, Derek either a EA4 or EA3. Note the tampions with the "bear and ragged staff" badge. Co-incidently he came from Warwickshire whose crest is also a BARS but the bear is up on two feet.

spacer.png

Location not known.

spacer.png

Note the darker forecastle sheeting colour and no AA mounting on the B turret.

spacer.png

Persons unknown.

spacer.png

Crossing the Atlantic.

spacer.png

He told me that you would never get him into one of these!

spacer.png

Canada.

spacer.png

I believe she was the Flagship at the time of this visit.

Berwicks+Plane+Over+Niagara_2_psp.jpg

Another "you won't get me in one of those" moments. This also, and not from me, appeared in April '97 Navy News. 

Enjoy.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Dear Paul:

Heartfelt thanks for posting these--they are IMMENSELY helpful for those of us who are also hoping to build an HMS Berwick, sooner or later. These photos help clear up a number of questions that I had regarding, for instance, the configuration of the wooden planking around the 4" HA guns, the configuration of the bridge, and the materials used on the bridge deck on the forward deckhouse (i.e., wooden planking and not smooth steel--as Aoshima has depicted the deck on their HMS Cornwall kit--that will, alas, need to be fixed).

At the risk of sounding like an ingrate, would you have any onther photos of the ship that you would be willing to post?

Thanks for considering this request, and thanks so much for sharing these wonderful pictures with us.

Best,

Mike E.

• Like 3

Paul,

Many thanks - fascinating and useful photos.  However, beware of colour schemes!  If modelling Berwick in the period your Dad served in her, she would not have been wearing "good old grey and buff"; after her update to carry the fixed catapult and hangar, she did not return to the East Indies Station, where the scheme was white hulls and upperworks, and yellow funnels, or the China Station (White hulls, Grey upperworks).  She went to the America and West Indies Station (hence the location of some of your photos) where ships were painted light grey (AP5507C) overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michaele said:

Dear Paul:

Heartfelt thanks for posting these--they are IMMENSELY helpful for those of us who are also hoping to build an HMS Berwick, sooner or later. These photos help clear up a number of questions that I had regarding, for instance, the configuration of the wooden planking around the 4" HA guns, the configuration of the bridge, and the materials used on the bridge deck on the forward deckhouse (i.e., wooden planking and not smooth steel--as Aoshima has depicted the deck on their HMS Cornwall kit--that will, alas, need to be fixed).

At the risk of sounding like an ingrate, would you have any onther photos of the ship that you would be willing to post?

Thanks for considering this request, and thanks so much for sharing these wonderful pictures with us.

Best,

Mike E.

You are most welcome Mike. 

No worries about asking, I do have some more and I'll post below now that I have annotated them. I should say that my annotations are in Dad's words from his album.

Berwick+In+Her+Prime_2_psp.jpg

I hadn't published before because I thought there was a problem with the resolution but it turned out Paintshop Pro had a display issue. Everytime I look at them I see something new - note the assembly next to the Y turret that gives a sense of scale.

spacer.png

Dad on the left. I thought the colour of the deck skirting (if that's the correct term) is interestingly dark, perhaps black. I would have thought white was more appropriate to alert the malots to a trip hazard on a darkened ship. 

spacer.png

I have assumed this is Berwick as the picture is in the album and also I remember reading somewhere this occurred on Berwick. In my limited research I have only found Berwick's whereabouts from Sept '39 onwards where as the royal visit to Canada was in June '39. I would  be interested in a confirmation.

spacer.png

And of course Her Majesty too.

Hopefully these help too.

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Superb set of pictures @BearAndRaggedStaff, and I'm sure will be of much use to Rob.

And of course, welcome to Britmodeller!

Terry

Thanks Terry on both counts.

Cheers

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your Dad's photos.  I'm always interested in historical naval photos showing Canadian ports of call.  Berwick must have been an impressive sight entering St. John's harbour.  I last visited St. John's in the fall of 2018.  It's changed a little since your Dad was there.  :rolleyes:

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Our Ned said:

Paul,

Many thanks - fascinating and useful photos.  However, beware of colour schemes!  If modelling Berwick in the period your Dad served in her, she would not have been wearing "good old grey and buff"; after her update to carry the fixed catapult and hangar, she did not return to the East Indies Station, where the scheme was white hulls and upperworks, and yellow funnels, or the China Station (White hulls, Grey upperworks).  She went to the America and West Indies Station (hence the location of some of your photos) where ships were painted light grey (AP5507C) overall.

Thanks Ned.

I did actually think my grey and buff comment was a bit throw away but thanks for the correction. I believe Dad left the ship when it went in for repairs after its encounter with the Admiral Hipper in Dec '40 so do I get another choice of colours for when it was in the Med? A couple of years later he was again in the Med in HMS Pozarica and was torpedoed and consequently earned him the North Africa star! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your Dad's photos.  I'm always interested in historical naval photos showing Canadian ports of call.  Berwick must have been an impressive sight entering St. John's harbour.  I last visited St. John's in the fall of 2018.  It's changed a little since your Dad was there.  :rolleyes:

John

You are welcome.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional photos, Paul.  Berwick wore a camouflage scheme during the 1940 Norway campaign, with Home Fleet Grey hull and patterned upperworks.  A port side view of her is in the background of IWM Photo A15848 (ignore the 1943 date in the caption) - note the pattern on her port side was different to that on the starboard side.  By the time she went to the Mediterranean, her hull was light grey, but the upperworks pattern remained.  The drawings at https://world-war.co.uk/Kent/berwick.php3 appear to be reasonably good representations of the schemes.

The royal visit photos could well have been taken during the royal trip to the USA and Canada - the Town class cruiser in the background of one shot could be Southampton or Glasgow, both of which accompanied the liners carriying the royal party on their outward and return journeys.

Edited by Our Ned
typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Our Ned said:

Thanks for the additional photos, Paul.  Berwick wore a camouflage scheme during the 1940 Norway campaign, with dHome Fleet Grey hull and patterned upperworks.  A port side view of her is in the background of IWM Photo A15848 (ignore the 1943 date in the caption) - note the pattern on her port side was different to that on the starboard side.  By the time she went to the Mediterranean, her hull was light grey, but the upperworks pattern remained.  The drawings at https://world-war.co.uk/Kent/berwick.php3 appear to be reasonably good representations of the schemes.

The royal visit photos could well have been taken during the royal trip to the USA and Canada - the Town class cruiser in the background of one shot could be Southampton or Glasgow, both of which accompanied the liners carriying the royal party on their outward and return journeys.

Thanks again Ned and also for the information; the php3 page is very good. Since dinner I have had a delve into my dad's stuff and in an envelope of loose black and white pictures I have found around 20 of what I recognise to be Berwick! In fact a lot of them are marked on the reverse with an official HMS Berwick stamp. I do remember Dad telling me that since he had had an interest in cameras he was officially given a camera to "snap around " with. Hence there are action pictures including of a convey being bombed and of survivors being picked up. So I have a bit of scanning to do and more over decide how to publish them without steam rolling Rob's thread. Perhaps I could just show the links or start my own topic although it might not be appropriate for just pictures. Suggestions welcome. Is it 10 o'clock already?!

• Like 4

Paul - a huge Thankyou for being so kind as to share these wonderful pictures.  They really are invaluable.  That picture of the Walrus launching is particularly stunning.

And a Big welcome to the site from me :D

Thanks for your generous words as to the build.  As you are aware HMS Berwick has been added on rather as an afterthought!

The HMS Cornwall kit comes with the same etch as Kent and both models really are high class.  HMS Berwick differed from Cornwall in minor details - the most prominent probably being the position of the 4" guns - The f'wrd gun wa moved slightly aft and outwards on a small stub that is not so prominent - I'm just completing it and I'll post some pics up soon.  The aft guns were apparently moved slightly forward.

You'll find the Folk here very gracious with help and advice and as Ned points out, the WW2 cruisers site is a really useful resource. 

As to crewing it - Yes - that was the plan but 1/350 Royal Navy crew from North star models have yet to materialize from an order 4 months ago:unsure:  Post from Ukraine is apparently notoriously slow.

As you've gleaned the Micromaster offerings are likely to really set both these models off

Thanks once again and I think your Dad looked very dapper indeed.

Please Do NOT worry about "Steamrolling" the thread - it would be fabulous to see some more;  though if you feel uncomfortable, an alternative would be posting in "Maritime discussion by era" under "WW1-1939" or "WW2".  You'll find it as the lead chapter in "Maritime Modelling".

Regards

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Rob.

No worries, it is a pleasure to share. 

It's great to hear that the Cornwall has the etch too but I am keen to try some add ons such as the hatch ways. I'm looking forward to see your progress.

Hopefully I can get the next set of pictures at least uploaded to my hosting site (Blogger) later tomorrow - have you considered starting a Berwick topic?

My comment about adding a crew was without realising that the average man height at that scale will around 4.7mm! I'm used to 3 or 4 mm to the foot so painting them seems like a huge challenge.

One of the other pictures of Dad has amused me as it shows him in uniform with his hands in his pockets - how he used to berate me if I had mine in mine.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dear Paul:

Please do find a place to post your additional photos, whether here or elsewhere.  They have intrinsic historical value, are a nice way to to honor your Dad's service, and I am sure many people would greatly appreciate seeing them.

Thanks again!

Best,

Mike E.

Edited by michaele
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:56 PM, BearAndRaggedStaff said:

Thanks Rob.

No worries, it is a pleasure to share. 

It's great to hear that the Cornwall has the etch too but I am keen to try some add ons such as the hatch ways. I'm looking forward to see your progress.

Hopefully I can get the next set of pictures at least uploaded to my hosting site (Blogger) later tomorrow - have you considered starting a Berwick topic?

My comment about adding a crew was without realising that the average man height at that scale will around 4.7mm! I'm used to 3 or 4 mm to the foot so painting them seems like a huge challenge.

One of the other pictures of Dad has amused me as it shows him in uniform with his hands in his pockets - how he used to berate me if I had mine in mine.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul 

I did think of building Berwick in a separate thread but have decided to keep it here as compare and contrast exercise.

As said above - besides the addition of a hanger and a static Catapult, the main structural difference from Kent (and in this respect from Cornwall) wa sthat the forward 4" guns were moved aft and slightly outwards, and it appears that the rear 4" guns were moved slightly forwards.  This aerial pic of Berwick despite being later in time well illustrates these changes, though subtlely

screenshot

The forward guns are set out on a stub platform so that the lattice supports drop down to the hull deck at an angle.

The "wood" 4" gun plaements were first filled with Mr Surfacer 500 and sanded

DSCF9473

Plastruct pieces were added amd the rear gun walls were cut away so as to allow the inclusion of railings as per the pic

DSCF9475

DSCF9474

This of course interferes with the moulded boat gantries that the 32 ft boats were run out on (rather than davits)

It's necessary to remove the remaining and luckily Peter Hall supplies replacements in the  WEM set

DSCF9476

I'll replace then when I've stopped handling the whole deck.

The Anti-slip pieces f'wrd need trimming to fit the stub platforms and the rear are "moved forwards"

DSCF9477

The rails into the hanger are a nice touch in the Eduard set

I'll add railings and replace the solid walls for the rear guns

DSCF9480

And as is visible, I "found" some boiler room vent replacment pieces in The WEM set thatI'd forgotten were there - (with grills :closedeyes:)  They are a huge improvement on the kit pieces and I wish I'd used them for Kent 

DSCF9481

the final vent doors are yet to be added.

DSCF9482

I used up the last of my resin chain - Lord it's nice!!

DSCF9478

And the rest of the week has been spent cleaning up the Walrus pieces.  Both Kent and Berwick will have one on their catapults and Berwick will have a second, wings folded in the hanger.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8