1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

20 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice progress and lots of useful informations you provide.

Thanks, appreciate that Kris

So let's recap.

1) the Trumpeter HMS Kent kit has a decked foc'sle which is incorrect

DSCF9258

2) the Trumpeter HMS Cornwall kit has a more correct anti-skid metal plate foc'sle

DSCF9330

A  rather obtuse way to get the right deck for Kent is to buy Cornwall and if you have a glut of aftermarket PE then it seems logical to use it all up and build both.

So it's time to get cracking with the Cornwall kit that will be built as HMS Berwick circa 1940 during the Norway campaign.

And once again many thanks to Mike from World War 2 Cruisers site for permission to use a profile.  It's a really great site and very inspiring.  Check it out if you have any interest in Wartime Cruisers

2020-04-28

I don't think there'll be much debate about the colours here, Raven concurs entirely in his Volume 1 Camouflage volume and this dazzle type pattern was prevalent in 1939/40.  There will be a wood veneer deck.

Berwick will be built as a waterline full hull embedded in styrofoam with (hopefully) a Flodgerg sea.  She'll be moored with her accomodation ladder down etc.

So - the little matter of the anti-slip foc'sle, which Berwick had and so far as I'm aware by 1939 all of the County Class Cruisers had metal foc'sle deck plates.

You'll need SL32F31 – Antiskid Plate – Diamond from https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk/product/sl32f31/.  This diamond shape anti-skid is the closest I can find to the original.  You trace around the foc'sle after filing everything off first :weep:

DSCF9332

But before you do - be sure to measure up and fashion the anchor furniture etc in plasticard.

I took 2 gos to get the shape and the Hawse pipe inserts cut out properly

DSCF9455

All very Star Trek Federation.

Cutting with a "Huron" etch scissors is the most effective way to cut the metal and for the hawse pipe openings don't bother trying to file them as the sad offering on the left testifies.  Instead just drill 3 holes of approx 1.5mm diam in a line for each and THEN file.

The hawse pipe lips were a potential problem but the easiest way once again is to drill 3 holes in a line through some 0.3 mm Plastruct strips and then file as neat an oblong as you can then cutting very carefully around so you are left with a narrow perimeter.  Believe me - the more you do the better they get :whistle:

DSCF9454

DSCF9456

DSCF9457

Not perfect but it will pass muster.  Glue the deck down (perfect fit on both models BTW) and then Superglue the etch foc'sle down.  Final filing makes it flush with the hull sides

DSCF9458

and if your measuring is accurate the holes should sit over the hawse pipes.

DSCF9460

and then it's a matter of using those pieces you fashioned ages back to begin to restore the deck fittings

DSCF9461

If anyone is building Kent and wants to do this, there's a metal template here already fashioned, should you wish it.

Jamie posted recently in reply to Guy suggesting whittling a pencil down to "draw" around a full hull so as to produce a "waterline" template that you can then use to cut out your styrofoam.  Why do something the easy way when you can make it really hard :unsure:

I opted to use some calipers and sequentially measure the beam at measured intervals to produce this.....

DSCF9453

We shall see  :whistle:

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 17

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

All very Star Trek Federation.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

"To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before..."

Just remember Rob you said it so be prepared for the Klingon onslaught  :dalek:

OK could not find a Klingon emoji  :doh:  Baktak

Checker plate looking good though

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Cutting with a "Huron" etch scissors is the most effective way to cut the metal

I checked these out and found two types (of Huron), one having a longer more pointed nose than the other. Do you know the difference? Reading the description the shorter nose implies not for wire cutting, and the longer nose version states wire gauges that can be cut.

The re-cap was helpful as I'd forgotten there are two out there in gizlu land!

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Do you know the difference?

Terry you just keep putting the ammunition in there don't you  :shoot:

Rob finds it hard to tell the difference between a ship and a boat never mind snips  :rofl2:

OK someone else can have a go now I need to lie down

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Terry you just keep putting the ammunition in there don't you  :shoot:

Rob finds it hard to tell the difference between a ship and a boat never mind snips  :rofl2:

OK someone else can have a go now I need to lie down

Stay Safe

beefy

I'm not as bright as I look.........

Terry - I'll get back to you as to which they are when I'm back home.  Should have posted - I hate it when people aren't explicit about how and what they use.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Rob finds it hard to tell the difference between a ship and a boat never mind snips

Okay, maybe I should have just asked for him to show us a picture of his snips?

Er ....... is that sort of thing allowed here?

Terry

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Okay, maybe I should have just asked for him to show us a picture of his snips?

Terry

:lol::lol: A little close to the bone considering my secondary profession :whistle:

Terry - my apologies - I of course meant Xuron - no idea where Huron came from :mental:

I believe that they are the Xuron 9180 ....

DSCF9464

I bought them to cut etch parts from frets but rarely use them preferring a No 11 Swann Morton blade.

17 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Rob why don't you/I/somebody/we get a careful scan or tracing of your template and have some etched corrections made for HMS Kent?

Jamie - the remaining piece is an accurate fit (excepting the Hawse holes).  It's yours if you can make use of it.  

And tonight's work completes the Foc'sle

DSCF9462

Thanks for looking - I underestand Beefy will be appearing in stand-up coming soon to a venue near you :winkgrin:

Rob

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

And tonight's work completes the Foc'sle

Awesome work. Rob! :clap2:

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

I understand Beefy will be appearing in stand-up coming soon to a venue near you :winkgrin:

Luckily, our borders are still closed.  :rofl:

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

the remaining piece is an accurate fit (excepting the Hawse holes).  It's yours if you can make use of it.

I'll happily have a crack at it Rob. If I can get it perfect in card then it'll work as a photo etching.

I'll need to buy a Kent kit of course. Woohoo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I underestand Beefy will be appearing in stand-up coming soon to a venue near you :winkgrin:

5 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Luckily, our borders are still closed.

Well only if the venue is outside and the borders are closed mainly to keep people in  😁

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

A little close to the bone considering my secondary profession :whistle:'

Don't tell them your sideline Rob you wont be allowed to play on here anymore......

Especially when you tell them that's how you fund your modelling

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I believe that they are the Xuron 9180 ....

DSCF9464

Thanks Rob. They look purposeful. Have ordered some this morning!

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

DSCF9462

That foc'sle looks so neat!

Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:41 PM, Chewbacca said:

But then a few years ago I was asked to repair a 1/96 shipbuilder's model of the Leander class frigate HMS DANAE and was shocked to find that the vast majority of it was made from wood.

The beautiful 1/96 models in the window of the recruiting centre I passed every day to and from school almost persuaded me to join the navy.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Courageous said:

Now look what you've started...just purchased my set.

Stuart

You won't be disapointed Stuart :winkgrin:

The Styrofoam comes from 4D Model Making Materials.

DSCF9465

DSCF9466

They seem to be majoring in this dark grey foam which is firmer than the yellow I sued for Anchusa.

I bought a 50mm bade and holder which I heated with my kitchen blow torch to cut the styrofoam straight - wah hoo!!  Ce marche!!

It's easily filed with an ordinary DIY file.  I part whittled the "middle" out and then "filed" edges and floor which works 

DSCF9469

The template worked as well as I could have hoped leaving farily minimal gaps.  Berwick will be at anchor mimicking this shot (though in earlier Camo colours)

HMS_Berwick

@longshanks has given me a tutorial on how large ships tie up to mooring buoys :)

She'll be in calm water so I have to be careful with the join between foam and hull.

DSCF9468

DSCF9467

Berwick had the hanger similar to Cornwall and was pretty similar to Cornwall all round.  One notable difference ws that the 4" guuns were moved aft so I had to fill the Cornwall positions.

DSCF9470

Not so obvios but now filled with Mr Surfacer 500.  All portholes are drilled out and the "wrong" doors shaved off to accept Micromaster offerings where they can be seen and WEM where they aren't so obvious - the etch just isn't as effective as the Resin.  I've already burned through one set of "WW1" doors and am awaitiing what has now become my monthly order from Micromaster.  Into 5th week of waiting.

DSCF9471

And a comparatively short time gets you to this...

DSCF9472

It'll be nice to see the contrast between the 2 models and paint schemes.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, michaele said:

Rob:

How about this pic of HMS Berwick as inspiration for your diorama? Keep us in awe and stay safe!

Mike E.

spacer.png

Thanks Mike - I was initally tempted to do Berwick in her Mountbatten pink scheme, then saw her with full old style masts in the 2- tone grey that won me over.  

However - the boom will be out with accomodation ladder down as here, with a 50ft Micromaster Steam Pinnace alongside (or at least that's the plan).  As for keeping anyone in awe.......:crosseyed:

Rob

• Like 7