1/350 HMS Kent County Class Cruiser 1941

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Dick, Jamie - I'm more than happy for you to move the debate and analysis on here.

I'm learning all the time

Rob

Hi Rob,

Richard and I have been on the phone this evening for just under an hour. He has shared with me some images from his private collection and there is some good news for you (or bad news if you've already started painting!).

It's just adjustments, but some significant ones. Of note is that the whole camouflage pattern on the port bow back to the forward funnel is too far forward on Raven & Leon's illustrations. It's not too far off in shape, but the thin stripe of MS1 needs to land under A-turret's barbette. On the starboard side, there's a similar story. The MS1 where it lands at main deck level at the forward edge of the B-turret gun deck house doesn't continue in a nice curve but follows the main deck sheer until it almost reaches the aft extreme of A-turret barbette and then travels downhill, pushing the 507C stripe forward also. There are changes we've made to details around where the MS1 laps up onto the superstructure and where it drops down again. What's of interest is that there's very clearly (in his photographs) B5 on the aft director support column as well as the searchlight platform lattice. We've confirmed the colours of the twin 4" mount shields too. The mainmast has B5 on one leg at the time we're focused on, but all 3 legs a little later.

You may also be interested to learn that I'm about to knock up a plan view so we can illustrate the camouflage carried over on to the deck. Some of the port side will be more interpretational than absolutely concrete evidence based, but hopefully it'll get you closer than anyone can argue against :) The corrections to the placement of those hull panels mentioned above will suddenly fall into place logically once you see what Richard has for you on the deck camouflage.

I've made the updates to the verticals and pinged a copy back to Richard. If he doesn't find something I've botched, I'll post it up here tomorrow then work on a plan view after that...

• Like 2

Nope - not started yet - a way away from painting - the above all sounds Excellent. (good news!)

I emailed Peter Hall to enquire when a specific White Ensign Models Kent PE set  will be available.

The sad news is - probably not soon.

Lookin forwards to the Final profile - particularly with Richard's interpretation of the deck scheme.

How exciting!!

But the pressure's on to do all this justice!!!

Thanks

Rob

• Like 3

I asked Richard Harden (WEM's owner) the same thing... If I buy this and I may well now, I might just use what I can from the Cornwall set.

I did muse on the phone to Richard that I hoped you wouldn't stuff this up now 😂

Richard's more concerned that you disagree with it!

I'll get the verticals up soon. The deck will obviously need a line drawing I don't have so will take a bit longer. It will also be a bit more schematic I think - more a deck section type thing. Drawing plan views of cranes, bridgeworks, masts etc will take forever and add no value for this!

• Like 2

Now how about the rest of the class camouflage range to maybe change Cornwall to Berwick I have to go for a Northern County of course :book:

beefy .

• Like 2

The deck will weather and fade a little quicker, due to more direct sunlight and a lot of mechanical abrasion from foot traffic. Modellers would likely wish to work accordingly, but we believe the same paints were carried up onto the decks. We know that proprietary non-slip paints were civilian manufactured in the same range of standard camouflage colours as used for the vertical surface camouflage.

• Like 1

Jamie and Richard - Once again, Huge thanks for your input and Jamie Thanks for a fantastic profile.

So I'm conscious that with 90 posts and over 2,500 hits this has been something of a rolling start (Being as I haven't done anything yet :whistle:)

Hajime!

Unlike previous builds I've given thought to the base first (versus last) and as stated previously this is going to be a static full hull display.  I'm not good enough with sculpting seas to do this justice and really haven't got the space.

As always bases are from naturally... Just Bases.  Paul is a splendid Fella.  Pedestals are hard to come by and these are sourced from China on Ebay.

I wanted to be able to mount the ship back and forth so I glued the nuts on the inner hull.  it can screw on and off and in the meanwhile the plastic kit supplied stand will suffice.

DSCF9259

DSCF9260

And planning ahead - these arrived from Name it.  Great plaques at excellent value and I'm in live with their photo plates

DSCF9277

DSCF9278

The first order of business was to scrape off the rather ill defined doors and replace wit hetched versions, some of which will be open

DSCF9272

DSCF9275

DSCF9273

As mentioned previously the forecastle remains problematic in that the kit depicts it as planked and in reality it was plate steel...

DSCF9258

It'll be impossible to cut pastic  sheet around the anchor and deck fittings and the wood plank "indents" are too deep to feasibly "scalpel-scrape".  It's too delicate for filler which leaves the wood deck en route from China as a get out.

I still need more "bits" from Micromaster but they are in Lockdown and will be unable to post until April end.  As such it will not be a linear build, rather do what can be done pending deliveries.

It's been good to kick off at last.

Thanks to all who've looked in and posted to date

Rob

• Like 7

Hi Rob,

You're welcome for the profile.

For the forecastle I had a similar albeit smaller gaff to deal with on Exeter, which I addressed in several steps by 'trowelling' Mr Surfacer into the unwanted planking grooves using a flat modelling chisel blade. It shrinks as it dries so it took a few passes but I got there in the end.

Failing that, you could have a go at photo etching a plate to go over the forecastle? A paper template would give something to trace and send to an etcher.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

As mentioned previously the forecastle remains problematic in that the kit depicts it as planked and in reality it was plate steel...

That's frustrating. I think I would slice off the good prominent detail to re use and just fill or sand the deck clean. Sanding would mean replacing with some plastic sheet but that would work I'm sure.

Just ideas!

Terry

• Like 3

Hi Rob,

Luv those replacement doors.  They're really nice additions!

Probably the best approach on the forecastle is to cut it off & scratch build a replacement using plastic card.  It looks like you might be able to salvage the vents & bollards, by cutting them off & adding them to the replacement deck.

John

• Like 2

Rob:

Flyhawk used to make 1/350 RN non-slip decking in sheet brass, but I couldn't find it online just now.  Maybe if you write them directly? If you go that route, it shouldn't be so hard to use the non-slip pattern sheet brass as a foundation, and to overlay sheet plastic for the anchor chain scuff plating, bent brass wire for the hawse pipe lips, and plastic rods for the bollards.  Just sayin'.

Looking forward to watching this one!

Stay healthy!

Best,

Mike E.

Edited by michaele
  • Like 1

Excellent start and I love the doors.  Personally I'd give Jamie's technique a good first.  The worst that can happen is that you have to remove the filler when you remove the wood planking if it doesn't work.

By the way, I hate to say this because the name plates look awesome, but isn't it Scapa Flow not Scarpa?

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

By the way, I hate to say this because the name plates look awesome, but isn't it Scapa Flow not Scarpa?

Chewbacca - thanks for being gentle - you are in fact the second to have pointed this out.  I plead fatness, stupidity and drunkenness.  There's another on the way.  I could try saying that all my ski boots are Scarpa and clearly there was a neural short circuit!! :rage::winkgrin:

Thanks for the suggestions Fellas.

14 hours ago, michaele said:

Rob:

Flyhawk used to make 1/350 RN non-slip decking in sheet brass, but I couldn't find it online just now.  Maybe if you write them directly? If you go that route, it shouldn't be so hard to use the non-slip pattern sheet brass as a foundation, and to overlay sheet plastic for the anchor chain scuff plating, bent brass wire for the hawse pipe lips, and plastic rods for the bollards.  Just sayin'.

Looking forward to watching this one!

Stay healthy!

Best,

Mike E.

Michaele - thanks - I had already looked but Nada.

John, Terry and Stuart - I think it's logical but a tough call

I'm going to try Jamie's suggestion - I had thought of filler, but Not Mr Surfacer.  If it doesn't work I'll revert to sanding the "wood" decking (en route)

Rob

• Like 2