Valom 1/72 YFM-1B Airacuda

This was a candidate for a mission that never materialized, built in small numbers by Bell Aircraft before the P-39.  The designation was FM for fighter multiplace, but like the Me-110 and others it was too heavy and not maneuverable enough to be useful as a fighter.  The Valom kit is not the best for fit, the best part is oddly the clear parts.  The basic plastic has finely done surface detail but is soft and uneven in thickness.  Glad to have a a YFM-1B in my display case, but I could have spent a couple months instead of a couple of weeks building it.  It is one of those kits that you probably should build two of, one to learn how and the second to get the best result.

006yfm1.jpg

The exhaust was corrected, the kit had identical piping on both sides but it should have had just collectors on the inside with a crossover inside the cowl and an outlet only on the outside.  The collectors should be tapered, not constant diameter from front to back.

010yfm1.jpg
 Lots of melted sprue and various fillers were sacrificed to this one.

023yfm1.jpg

I just noticed I forgot the pitot tubes on each wing tip.  I'll fix it with music wire.  The Airfix 1/72 Mustang was finished along side it, a nice little kit though the landing gear needed straightening and careful attaching.

024yfm1.jpg

031yfm1.jpg

• Like 23

Very nice! The Mustang is nice also. The multi-place multi-role 'cruiser' was a very 1930's idea. Nice to hear the clear parts are good - I have one in the stash, along with the tricycle-landing gear version.

Regards,

Jason

It wouldn't look out of place in an episode of Flash Gordon!

That period was full of really inventive ideas and impressive leaps forward, along with the inevitable dead ends, and your build shows part of that time to perfection. It looks splendid.

Edited by TonyW

Wonderful model of a bizarre concept. The gondola crew were supposed to man-handle 37 mm cannons which were installed in only a few test beds. Gross weight was a meagre 19,000 lbs - who was smart enough to suggest that this would be a successful fighter configuration...? 😀

What a nice model! I have the tricycle gear variant, and it is a very poor-fitting kit, which unlike you, I have not been brave enough to start, so you should be proud of what you have done with yours. Well done and a very nice finish.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...