Folland Gnat F1

Graeme H

Well I have decided to rush headlong into the Folland Gnat build while I contemplate what to do about the missing bits for my Spitfire XIX

So first the obligatory box shot, I have put the rear bulkhead on the floor part and painted black, my favourite black is Humbrol 32 dark Grey

DSCN3403.jpg

so last night I launched into this big time and fitted the nose wheel bay as this helps set up the rest of the interior, then I went to bed 😴

DSCN3409.jpg

So today I hope to keep the stress levels down a bit, but will attempt maybe 2 pieces, or if I'm feeling the love maybe more who knows in these stressful times.

Did manage to make it to the Supermarket today for the Seniors only time, I was the oldest there, youngest were about 5 children under the age of 8, but managed to get the vital essential food groups covered

I don't drink alcohol at all, so got that covered.

Won't have to leave the house until the dog insists on his walk this afternoon.

TFIC

• Like 6

welcome along Graeme, and with another of these popular Gnats......who would have thought we'd see this many in a GB!

This does seem to be a nice little model and just perfect to do while locked away. Hopefully the dog will be nice and let you have some decent modelling time.

Good luck with the build, hopefully it'll be stressless and we'll see it in the gallery, and look after yourself as well.

Did those small demon spawn have a packet of toilet paper under each arm? 

Yay, another Gnat! :D They're perfect little planes - for example on your display shelf, they are great 'fillers' for the dead space that your bigger planes leave behind :D 

Have fun & stay safe.

• Mike changed the title to Folland Gnat F1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, as @trickyrich has rung the bell and rattled the cage I need to do some more to this little Gnat 

the problem has been I've lost a lot of mojo over the last few weeks, and nothing changed for me as a retired old fart every day is a self isolating day.

Now one of the problems has been dropping small parts on the floor, and this kit has them is spades, I don't have carpet, just polished wooden floor, but it's amazing how far the little buggers travel.

Found the front U/C door, and didn't even know I had knocked it off, bit of a bonus there.

Got the Cockpit done up reasonably, so many parts though. apologies for the lousy photography, skills are about the same as modelling

DSCN3415.jpg

So just need to fit the canopy and then off to the paint shop, what could go wrong?

DSCN3414.jpg

• Like 6

for such a wee thing and in 1/72nd, that cockpit looks great!!! :thumbsup:

I can agree with on the hard floors! My chair sits on a small square of carpet, the rest of the floor in concrete and anything that hits that just rockets away!!!

While the disruptive schemes take a fair amount of work to mask up for a relatively short time spraying the paint it'll be worthwhile work :) 

Well after masking up the top and painting the green that just refused to dry (Extracolor), but a day outside in the tropical sun cured that, I spent all of yesterday masking up to paint the underside, what a PIA those camo schemes that wrap around the Leading Edge are.

So another failure to launch, in not getting it done by the deadline, so photo of the silver undersinde, Humbrol 191 to finish off

I will get it finished though, before I launch into the Buccaneer GB.

DSCN3423.jpg

• Like 5

flipping Xtracolour paint <_< Never mind, you now have a further week to go before this GB finishes ;) 

• Like 1

Thought I’d better check this one out seeing someone had told me all about it. 

Looks great and no excuse not to get it over the line now the deadline has been extended!  

OK, worked nearly all day to get this finished, had problems with decals which wrapped up on themselves, in the end sort of got there, but lost a Mainwheel in the last hour, and can't find it at all, oh well, hasn't been a happy build, and it is a back of the shelf model with maybe Vulcan in front of it.

DSCN3428.jpg

• Like 5

Well done on getting her finished Graeme! :thumbsup:

I'm sorry it wasn't an enjoyable build, with her size she could probably hide under the wing of any model on the shelf.

From the photo's it doesn't look a bad at all, especially for a SH model, they're not know for being the most build friendly of models! :whistle:

Anyway, still glad you can join us here, hopefully the Nordic Pt2 GB will be a better one for you...hint hint! :D

• Like 1

That is looking just lovely Graeme🙂

A friend of mine owns one of these in it's original condition (GN-114, IIRC). Luckily it isn't airworthy as he would probably kill himself with it. Gnat is very tricky aircraft to handle. She starts to pitch up violently just seconds after she gets airborne and the pilot must use exact control and trim inputs at exactly the right moment. Otherwise...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1