Blackhawk version for Bin Laden Raid

Plumbum

Which version do I need to replicate the machine that delivered Seal Team 6?

I have been seeing some bizarre looking stealth images.---John

Hi John,

impossible to say. Nobody knows how these machines look like for sure. The only pictures of the real thing are from the quite intact tail rotor of the wreck at the Bin Laden hideout. There are some pictures on the web which were said to show the real thing but it was just a movie prop for a film about Operation Geronimo. Then there are a lot of digital art floating around but again they are just guesswork.

Dragon does a kit in 1/144 (again fictional): https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/dragon-4628-stealth-helicopter--114587

Who knows when these machines will be revealed to the public. If the one machine wouldn't have crashed we still would not know of it's existence.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1

On another forum years ago, someone posted a picture of an EH-60 that was modified as a testbed to demonstrate frontal stealth.   This was from sometime back in the late 80's I believe.   After a short time, they took it down because of OPSEC concerns.   Anyway, I can only describe the helo as "hideous".   It had a massive, faceted housing over the main rotor, with large bulky "cuff" extending out a few feet along each rotor blade.   The nose was chisel shaped and a few other treatments were applied.   The rest of the helo was stock -60.     My completely uneducated guess is that some / all of these techniques were incorporated into the "Stealth Hawk" used on the OBL raid. 

Have fun with this one! 

• Like 2

Hi,

This link should take you to what is allegedly the original proposal for the "Stealth"-Hawk:-

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a058906.pdf

Dating from 1978, the graphics are pretty dire, but give you an idea of three proposals being considered in the "real world" at that stage.

This may, or may not, coincide with the description that 11Bravo provides - wish I had some photos of that EH-60!!

Hope that helps!

Edited by Sky dancer
Spelling!!!
  • Like 1

Wasn't just Seals there, lots of other elements.  S.A.D. CAG, etc

main-qimg-60d23306c3f7e5f54df7b588f55152

mhx4_2012.jpg

From what I understand Prince 1 and Prince 2 were done in a bit of haste but alot of the "internet" renderings are pretty close.  Except the one obvious fake.

Apparently the "Achilles Heel" of a stealthy helicopter (indeed, any helicopter) is the rotating rotor blades which serve as an ideal radar reflector. Not sure if anyone has solved that problem to any satisfactory degree. 

1 hour ago, magman2 said:

He tail part that wasn’t destroyed 

is almost Identical to the cancelled 

Comanche attack helicopter

that  is still flying 😮

Still flying?

Was kinda hoping they would "upscale" the Dragon 1/144 kit to 1/48. What were the

"normal" Blackhawks that were also there? Some type of Pavehawk?---John

Not sure if there were any other Blackhawk variants there, other than the special ones.

They were supported by MH-47's, the mission commander/flight lead of which has just retired from 160th SOAR and has disclosed some info of their role.... but he is still not giving anything away about the MH-60's.

Very interesting! One thing I find interesting is Boeing the only company that

makes aircraft for the U.S. military? They seem to have bought out everyone.

Isn't that a monopoly?---John

1 hour ago, Johnv said:

Very interesting! One thing I find interesting is Boeing the only company that

makes aircraft for the U.S. military? They seem to have bought out everyone.

Isn't that a monopoly?---John

Lockeed Martin? F-16- F-22, F-35 maybe also count?

Teamed up with Sikorsky by the way....

And then there is the B-21...

So no, not a monopoly...

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Yes still flying, and other Black Projects. 

The Americans have never stopped developing Black Offensive and defensive weapons. President Trump, alluded to the fact that the U.S Had and would unleash unimaginable Weapons on Iran.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RAH-66 Comanche is NOT still flying. It's actually at the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker, Alabama.

6 hours ago, magman2 said:

Yes still flying, and other Black Projects. 

The Americans have never stopped developing Black Offensive and defensive weapons. President Trump, alluded to the fact that the U.S Had and would unleash unimaginable Weapons on Iran.

Please, don't bring children into the conversation.

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, whiskey said:

RAH-66 Comanche is NOT still flying. It's actually at the Arm Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker, Alabama.

Please, don't bring children into the conversation.

And i have got a photo to prove it, taken in 2010, I think, in the storage hanger

Andy

• Like 3

Calm down gentlemen!

We outsiders will never fully know what is flying and awailable in the black world...

Some hints from time to time... that is all !

Edited by exdraken

On 4/4/2020 at 12:20 AM, Shorty84 said:

There are some pictures on the web which were said to show the real thing but it was just a movie prop for a film about Operation Geronimo. Then there are a lot of digital art floating around but again they are just guesswork.

The film is Zero Dark Thirty. I quite enjoyed it, and the Stealth Hawks were very believable.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:32 AM, magman2 said:

He tail part that wasn’t destroyed 

is almost Identical to the cancelled 

Comanche attack helicopter

that  is still flying 😮

Almost identical except for the fact it did not have a shrouded/fenestron tail rotor and it featured a low-mounted horizontal stabiliser instead of a T-tail! 😁

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, whiskey said:

Yes that is the new Bell Invictus. Not the Comanche.

And it is not a Black program, curently,  but a design in competition for a new white/ drab contract ;)