humbrol 165 equivalent

Doggy

So I'm building a Typhoon and I'm needing 165 for the underside. I won't be buying H165 so I'll need to make do with Tamiyas closest paint.

I've searched all my comparison sites and Tamiya and Revell don't have a h165 equivalent.

First question is this, is h165 accurate?

And second question if not, what's the closest?

Thanks.

Is this a Hawker Typhoon? If so, the underside colour was Medium Sea Grey (now in British Standard as BS381C-637).

Upper surface colours were RAF Dark Green and Ocean Grey. You'll find this referred to as the RAF "Day Fighter Scheme". 

• Like 1

Tamiya XF-19 sky grey is reasonably close, but Humbrol #165 is pretty close. There is also Tamiya sea grey medium XF-85, which I'm told is a good match. Oddly I built a typhoon the other day and used XF-19 as an undercoat, then added Humbrol #165 as the main coat and couldn't see where I had painted! LOL

Edited by Doug

21 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Do you mean XF83? Medium sea grey.

yes.  When Tamiya did their 1/32nd Spitfire, they introduced some new paint colours for this,  XF-81 dark green, XF-82 Ocean Grey, XF-83 Medium Sea Grey.

XF-81 seems to be regarded as a good match.  Not sure about the other two. I have not heard howls of derision for them so I presume they are OK.

@Doggy  you keep asking about model paint. 

You will make your life an awful lot easier if you find out what the real colours are, and then good model paint matches.

In this link

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings

there are scans of booklets on Camouflage and markings, the RAF ones are still the best primer I know of on the subject (though the Mustang one has some errors) but only cover NW Europe.  

This is the Typhoon one

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/04-Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon

Very good for sorting out what happened when and why.

There is an excellent article here 

https://www.airfix.com/us-en/hawker-typhoon

which was done when Airfix did their 1/24th kit.  The author is a member here, one of a number of members who are the people who actually write 'the books' on the subject. 

The USAAF monographs are good,  but not as detailed as the RAF ones as they cover a wider scope usually.   

33 minutes ago, Doggy said:

I found an acrylic starter pot of H165 so I suppose I could try this.

Humbrol acrylics vary, from OK to not good.   test it on something else first!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Humbrol acrylics vary, from OK to not good.   test it on something else first!

you found some OK ones? I have found they vary from bad to  terrible!

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2020 at 5:34 PM, Troy Smith said:

I have not heard howls of derision

I view XF-82 Ocean Grey as too blue. It looks better on my 1/700 USN ships. 

Edited by Greenshirt
Removed my speculation.

1 hour ago, Chuck1945 said:

Here is XF-82 against the RAFM chip

Hi Chuck,

I did the same with my RAFM Chip back in ‘13 or ‘14. Maybe more recent batches are better. 

Tim

25 minutes ago, Greenshirt said:

Hi Chuck,

I did the same with my RAFM Chip back in ‘13 or ‘14. Maybe more recent batches are better. 

Tim

Tim

I don't know, I’ve had my bottle of XF-82 a while but I don’t remember when I got it.

In daylight (took the picture this morning just using light through the windows) to me it looks at least a fair match. It definitely shows where I thought I had sprayed the example pretty evenly, I really hadn’t on the right side. In the interest of disclosure, the picture was taken using my iPad, much easier than getting out my digital camera, discovering the battery needed charging, and when that was accomplished, taking the picture and transferring it my computer, all before I could send it to my hosting site and then linking it here 😳

Chuck