ADC Grey...

Andre B

Hi,

Yesterday I got a bottle of AK Interactive paint from Alfa Hobby. It was AK 2146 and my plan is to use it for my F-106 as they where painted in Fs 16473 ADC Grey.

I made an quick test of the grey and compared it to some of my other paints and paintchips. And found that it was rather close to what I think was Tamiya AS-18 (spraycan). So there we maybe have an quick and easy alternativ when it comes to paint the F-102 and F-106 ADC Grey...

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B
  • Thanks 2

That's useful to know Andre as I have been wondering how to paint my EC-121 Warning Star when I get round to it and I don't possess an airbrush.

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 9:38 AM, Andre B said:

Hi,

Yesterday I got a bottle of AK Interactive paint from Alfa Hobby. It was AK 2146 and my plan is to use it for my F-106 as they where painted in Fs 16473 ADC Grey.

I made an quick test of the grey and compared it to some of my other paints and paintchips. And found that it was rather close to what I think was Tamiya AS-18 (spraycan). So there we maybe have an quick and easy alternativ when it comes to paint the F-102 and F-106 ADC Grey...

Cheers / André 

THANK YOU!! I tried it & it's close enough for me,

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 3:38 AM, Andre B said:

And found that it was rather close to what I think was Tamiya AS-18 (spraycan). So there we maybe have an quick and easy alternativ when it comes to paint the F-102 and F-106 ADC Grey...

Thanks a bunch for that. I was using True North paints (which are brilliant - shameless, unpaid plug) and ran out before I finished my Voodoo, so I will use your suggestion to finish up!

See, the team works!

If anyone else's interested, I can thoroughly recommend the True North colours (they're just an absolute pain to get into the country, unless you're in North America): https://www.truenorthpaints.com/paintstore/gloss-aircraft-grey

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/28/2021 at 2:37 AM, stalal said:

Has anyone used Gunze H-61 for ADC Grey? 

Actually, I am at this moment building Revell's Voodoo, and have painted it in H 61, going on the strength of Urban's reference charts. There seems to be no end of opinion regarding the correct model paint for 'ADC' grey (like many other colours). Any advice greatly accepted!

21 minutes ago, modelmaker said:

There seems to be no end of opinion regarding the correct model paint for 'ADC' grey (like many other colours). Any advice greatly accepted!

if it is supposed to be FS16473 then why not match to that color?

Something like

XF-2 Flat White: 20

X-14 Sky Blue: 2

XF-10 Flat Brown: 1

(all parts by mass) will probably give you pretty close match:

FS16473 | Mix above

100x100100x100

There are probably better matches, I just dont have all Tamiya paints characterized yet

Alternatively, Golden Fluid Acrylics mix (also by mass)

Titanium White: 19
        Bone Black: 5
        Teal: 1
        Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide: 1

FS16473 | Mix above

100x100100x100

The FS16473 color is taken from 1956 FS595 chip. Tamiya match is metameric, Golden Fluid Acrylics is close spectral match.

• Like 1