1:48 Battle of Britain 80 Diorama

A tribute to the pilots and ground crews of the RAF during the Battle of Britain. Depicting 601Sqn pilot P/O Billy FISKE (US) and 602Sqn fighter Ace P/O Osgood Hanbury with sound and movement from Magic Scale Modeling. 2020 is the 80th anniversary where the RAF made its mark as the world’s finest air force having faced overwhelming odds against the Luftwaffe. The history of the bravery of the men and women in the air and ground is well documented. As a founder member of the Tangmere Sector Modellers IPMS who are based at the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum which is located on the site of one of the most famous Battle of Britain RAF  bases and squadrons. This diorama is to honour two of those squadrons, one based at Tangmere and the other at RAF Westhampnett (now Goodwood) which was within the Tangmere sector of operations and in particular two pilots one of whom was the first American ‘eagle’ pilot to be killed in the battle.

The Hawker Hurricane is from the Airfix Ready for Battle set, along with the figures and equipment. Supplemented by Revell RAF ground personnel set. The Spitfire is the new too Tamiya and the Hangar is from Large Scale Models.

DSC_4784

DSC_4800

DSC_4810

DSC_4810

DSC_4814

DSC_4818

DSC_4819

DSC_4825

DSC_4827

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

Stunningly beautiful. I like what appears to be footprints on the Hurricane's wing. Never seen that before and it adds a definite touch of realism to the scene. 

• Like 3

Brilliant....a fitting tribute! I love the steely eyed look of determination on the Spit pilot's face!

• Like 1

My grandad was a mechanic on 249 Squadron during the BoB.  I remember him telling me as a kid of how they would burn their fingers working on red hot engines between sorties.  Your diorama captures that sense of urgency superbly.  Bravo.

• Like 2

Wow what a lovely tribute. There are so many bits of fantastic detail in there, and so much going on, it's a real treat to see. I had to smile at the pilot on the ground beside the refuelling bowser as he looks like he's rushing for the ablutions. Can't say I blame him to be honest considering what they were up against.

Mrs T and I have family in Sussex and we visit Tangmere Museum as often as we can. It's one of our favourite places and there's something about it that keeps drawing us back there. The wrecked Hurricane is a particularly poignant reminder of what happened in the BoB.

• Like 1

That's very very cool work. The pilot walking away looks like he's late for the bathroom!

• Like 1

Outstanding! A fine tribute in the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. What a sacrifice these young lads made for freedom. I don't think it'd be an exaggeration to say they pretty much saved the world. 

• Like 1

Fabulous work all round and it's particularly good to see aircraft in the condition they most likely would have been rather than ludicrously 'weathered' and 'chipped' everywhere. One of the most impressive aircraft dios I've ever seen! 

Gary

• Like 1

Great diorama , that hanger is a work of art in itself :goodjob: one pointer if I may , the Spitfires aerial mast needs to be straightened up a bit and the wind screen could do with sitting a little bit lower at the front ( oppps that's two pointers ) apart from that wonderful job , :yes: