Lancia Delta S4

After the Peugeot 206 WRC I looked through the stash and decided it was about time I started the Group B monster the Delta S4 that I've been putting off

I've never built a Beemax kit before, but I'm impressed with the fit of the parts up to yet. The engine is together and ready for a weathering wash and some of the pipework painted and ready for assembly, just need to do the banding 

Ian :) 

20200401_110718_resized

20200402_152515_resized 20200402_152532_resized

• Like 10

More work done on the engine today, painted some French blue onto some masking tape and cut into strips to make the silicone hoses on the intercooler, thought it added a bit more depth rather than paint alone, was just worried if it would crack on the small diameter, but it worked out ok :) 

Needs a bit of touching up in places tomorrow on some of the joints when the paint's dried properly.

Made a start on painting the tub as well

20200403_180144_resized

20200403_180156_001_resized

• Like 5

I'm making the most of the enforced free time at the minute to keep me from climbing the walls, think we're all lucky we have a great hobby to dip into as daytime TV is bloody awful 

Got the tub painted and carbon fibre decals and some bare metal foil for the tunnel insulation this morning, then managed to get the engine connected to it this afternoon.

The kit is going together superbly well, but the instructions can be a little vague in places and make you think, especially where the detail kit parts are called out, but I'll definitely build another Beemax kit (good job as I've already got the Quattro S1  😂 )

20200404_174713_resized 20200404_174650_resized

• Like 7

Another day in paradise, had a bit of time in-between pottering in the garden and tidying out the garage :) 

Managed to fit another couple of bits I painted and decalled yesterday 

20200406_192627_resized

20200406_192645_001_resized 20200406_192706_resized

• Like 9

80s engineering at its finest ! If you search on you tube for VHS Rallies they are currently showing the old Top Gear Rally Reports from the 1985 and 1986 Lombard RAC Rallies . All the Group B cars on there ..... and William Woollard . I was at school back then , so only saw the early evening report as the late report was on after midnight . Day and night rallying in 500 HP cars ! 
 Great work , Gary.  

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2020 at 16:47, Redstaff said:

After the Peugeot 206 WRC I looked through the stash and decided it was about time I started the Group B monster the Delta S4 that I've been putting off

I've never built a Beemax kit before, but I'm impressed with the fit of the parts up to yet. The engine is together and ready for a weathering wash and some of the pipework painted and ready for assembly, just need to do the banding 

20200401_110718_resized

20200402_152515_resized 20200402_152532_resized

Hello Redstaff

great build!

Please consider this:

There is a big mistake in the design of the Engine!

The instructions as well as the part itself are wrong.

The exhaust manifold should be fixed at the cylinder head and not on the block.

It is easy to correct.

spacer.png

hope it explains the correction.

regards Andreas.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Andreas.R for the heads up, unfortunately it's not an easy fix now as this post was 5 days ago

I've boxed it all in now so it's not acessable any more as I've got too much free time...........things are progressing a lot faster than normal

20200406_192627_resized

• Like 3

You has done a very good job!

Fortunately the exhaust manifold is a little hidden!

But as I build the engine  I was a little bit confused - could it right ? 

I t is a rather unconventional engine - so i researched and found out it is definitely wrong.

I was wondering how this mistake could happen - The Chinese designers of the kits

have little idea of  real technology! 

regards Andreas

• Thanks 1

Hello Redstaff

a tip in time for the decals:

There are 2 cooling openings at the rear where the Martini-Stripes have to be put on.

If the cooling openings are already attached to the body it may be difficult to fix the Martini-Stripes on.

So if you fix the stripes before - take care that they are correctly aligned! You will detect it after attaching

the cooling openings! Mine are a little bit miss aligned.

regards

Andreas

• Thanks 1

Got the dash painted and assembled, had to have a bit of time gardening to keep SWMBO happy, plus it was nice to sit outside with a couple of beers afterwards :) 

Now I've seen the pics up close, I may brush a bit of satin or even matt clearcoat over them to tone down the shine as it looks wrong 🤔

Had a go at the curly cable on the mic as well using the thin wire out of freezer bag ties, need more attempts to perfect it, bt it adds a bit of depth :) 

Ian

20200410_134132_resized

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, pau10wen said:

Love the dash Ian, very clean and great detail on the curly wire. 

Cheers Paul, I'm happy enough with it, loads of potential with the freezer bag ties though :) 

It's all your fault you know after looking at your builds that I'm trying to add extra detail, I used build straight out of the box 🤣

Seem to be gradually moving away from aircraft and on to wheels as the scales are larger and more bits can be added with my aging eyes :)

I must have too much time on my hands as I'm finding myself looking at everything around the house that may have potentential for extra detail 😂

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Redstaff said:

That's the spirit Ian, lol

I spend more time thinking of what I need and then a random object that can maybe work for the build. B&q fuse wire and different tape and all sorts of crap! 

It all adds to the build mate, it looks excellent so far. The dash especially is a great mix of very clean work and that little bit of extra detail that just makes it pop. I'm loving it

• Thanks 1

Come to a bit of a slow down waiting for the flocking stuff for the seats (should be here today hopefully) so painted what I could ready for final assembly :) 

Primed the body work, micromeshed,de-tacked with a tack cloth and put under my container to stop the dust as usual a couple of days ago

Took them out to check this morning and one side of the centre section looked like the dog had slept on it 😒

Rubbed it down again this morning to get rid of the fluff and repeated the process...placed them back into isolation and will have a look tomorrow

Can't understand why just the one side of 1 of the 3 parts though, the rest was spotless and it's the same as I always do 🤔

20200415_073208_resized

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pau10wen said:

Sorry to hear that random issue stuck Ian, just the one side is hard to explain??! 

Yes mate

I can't get my head round it either tbh, if anything was going to settle I would have expected it on a horizontal surface, not on one of the vertical door skins

Only thing I can think is some sort of localised static that attracted some crap to that area

Never mind, all sorted now I hope :) 

Released from captivity this morning and all's well again :) 

Half decent shine out of the can and no runs or marks, need to have patience and let it harden a few more days first though

Couldn't get the blue flocking I needed, so looks like painting the seats anyway, but I mahaged to get black, grey and red for future projects :) 

Just waiting for new oven to be delivered this afternoon as old one died Sunday just after cooking the roast, so probably no modelling today

Ian

20200416_121236_resized

• Like 4