1/72 Lockheed Model10 Electra (Wisconsin Central Airlines)

20 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

😀

But the English have some quirks as well. 

Leominster is "Lemster" 

Towcester is "Toaster" 

Bicester is "Bister". 

Did I mention "Worcestershire Sauce"?? 

Popular around the world but nobody knows how to ask for it 🤔

Funny; they pronounce 'Leominster' as 'Lemster' in Massachusetts as well.

• Haha 1

With my Nautilus sub project mostly done (waiting on the post to deliver decals from Finland, just like this build) I had some time today to take care of various bits and bobs on the Electra.

First, the sticky-down things.... Wheels & tires are installed:

50081074866_f83c24c217_z.jpg  50080496933_d9c30706c6.jpg 

Pitot tubes under the nose:

50080496958_ccc87b3a76.jpg 

More sticky-down things under the fuselage. On the actual aircraft, cables ran between the pitot tube mounts and these posts.

50081322242_f29c912afa.jpg 

Counter-balances for the elevators:

50081074826_bb5b6ae5f2.jpg 

I also added a couple of sticky-up items.

DF antenna just behind the cockpit:

50080496953_824629d371.jpg

And, the HF antenna ahead of the horizontal stab:

50081074831_d4033c761d.jpg 

By my count, I now have only five parts left to add: 2 propellers, 2 engine exhausts, and the cabin entry door. I'll have to add the aforementioned cables and do the position lights on the wingtips and tail.

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Beautiful aircraft Bill... It seems that you are very close to finish your project.

Serkan

Both projects! This one, and my USS Nautilus build in the Maritime WIP forum. 🙂

Look what arrived in the mail today!

50088250321_63916eb5f2_z.jpg 

Got me all excited, that I might now finish this build (and, my USS Nautilus project) with the decals Mika made for me.

But then, I saw this:

50087672083_d3aed643b1_z.jpg 

April 30??? That was more than two months ago! But Mika posted my decals last week...

On opening the envelope, here's what I found:

50088484762_ba8d280efc_z.jpg 

Yes, I ordered these in April and they're only arriving now. Nice curtains, to be sure, but much too late for my Electra. I guess I'll have to save them for another airliner project.

I can only hope for another relativistic time-dilation event ⏲️ , like what Moa recently experience. I certainly don't want to have to wait until October to get decals on this bird! Unfortunately, I don't build at light-speed like Moa does  🚀 , so I may be out of luck  🐌.

P.S. The word "priority" must mean something different in Finnish than what I'm familiar with.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Look what arrived in the mail today!

Got me all excited, that I might now finish this build (and, my USS Nautilus project) with the decals Mika made for me.

But then, I saw this:

April 30??? That was more than two months ago! But Mika posted my decals last week...

On opening the envelope, here's what I found:

Yes, I ordered these in April and they're only arriving now. Nice curtains, to be sure, but much too late for my Electra. I guess I'll have to save them for another airliner project.

I can only hope for another relativistic time-dilation event ⏲️ , like what Moa recently experience. I certainly don't want to have to wait until October to get decals on this bird! Unfortunately, I don't build at light-speed like Moa does  🚀 , so I may be out of luck  🐌.

Don't panic. The envelope Mika sent more recently arrived in just two weeks. It's the earlier envelopes that got stuck who knows where, there or here in the US.

• Thanks 1

A bit more details added while waiting for Mika's decals to arrive:

Added the little supports that connect to the rear of the mudguards:

50095623877_4b890a6ae8.jpg 

and added handles to the passenger door:

50095396276_5b65b66f2b.jpg   50095623742_c3740e5be2_o.jpg 

• Like 7

There is some seriously impressive work here, it even stands up well to close up photography, which, as we know, can be rather unforgiving. 👍

AW

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Decals arrived late last week (three weeks from Finland), so this weekend I was able to finish up my Electra project. Here are a couple of pics at the finish line:

50157224898_effbaf2b9e_b.jpg 

50157224843_a20637bdf3_c.jpg 

More photos in the RFI section, here:

Thanks to everyone who followed my work and contributed suggestions and comments! Special thanks to Colin for the excellent drawings, Moa for research, and Mika at Arctic Decals ( www.arcticdecals.com ) for providing the custom markings I needed.

50158014172_d8ce06f449_b.jpg 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1