Airfix 1/24 Hellcat

That is a super job.  Fantastic build and finish.  You must be well chuffed.

I was going to order one then backed out of it, but now you have me re-thinking...

1/24 Hellcat II JX772/X119....  Hmmm. (Get thee behind me Satan)...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Fabulous build & nicely finished & weathered.

i quite fancy the French scheme myself.

Pete

Many thanks, Pete. The kit is so nice I'd happily build another in a different scheme.....with wings folded next time.

• Like 1

Beautiful work, well done!

I normally build WW1 aircraft, but after seeing yours built up I have to admit I might be tempted by this kit .............

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Just now, Epeeman said:

Beautiful work, well done!

I normally build WW1 aircraft, but after seeing yours built up I have to admit I might be tempted by this kit .............

Many thanks, Dave.

Go for it....you definitely won't be disappointed!

7 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

That is a super job.  Fantastic build and finish.  You must be well chuffed.

I was going to order one then backed out of it, but now you have me re-thinking...

Many thanks...I am pleased with how it's turned out. The fit of the parts was excellent....Airfix have done a superb job in  my opinion. I would highly recommend the kit....go for it!

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much, Massimo. 

Regarding the panel lines,  I actually weathered the aircraft the other way round.

Firstly I sprayed all the panels in dark sea blue. Then I very gently polished the paint with some very fine polishing sticks until the paint just started to wear off so I could see the grey primer through the blue, especially in what I perceived to be high wear areas. This took quite a long time! If I went too far I had to respray the blue and then polish again. 

Finally I used a grey panel wash to bring out the rivets and panel lines. 

I've used this technique before on other kits....it takes a long time but seems to work!

• Thanks 2

It's hard to make big scale models not turn out looking like a plastic toys, but you have done an incredible job on the finish and scuffing- looks like real metal, not painted plastic. I also noticed the excellent rendition of the finish in the fabric-covered surfaces, including the flaps, that is often missed. You have every right to be proud of this one! :clap2:

Mike

• Thanks 1

That's gorgeous! I've been a bit indifferent to the Airfix Hellcat as it wasn't a type that I definitely wanted to model, but I have to admit that it makes up into a fine looking model

which is very pleasing on the eye. Awesome job of work you've done on it too. Nice one.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

That's gorgeous! I've been a bit indifferent to the Airfix Hellcat as it wasn't a type that I definitely wanted to model, but I have to admit that it makes up into a fine looking model

Many thanks!

If I'm honest the Hellcat probably isn't my all time favourite WW2 aircraft,  but when I saw it "in the flesh" on the Airfix stand at Telford when it was first released I was so bowled over by the detail that Airfix had incorporated I knew I just had to build it, and now having done so I'm just as impressed by Airfix's engineering of the model.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

It's hard to make big scale models not turn out looking like a plastic toys, but you have done an incredible job on the finish and scuffing- looks like real metal, not painted plastic. I also noticed the excellent rendition of the finish in the fabric-covered surfaces, including the flaps, that is often missed. You have every right to be proud of this one! :clap2:

Mike

Many thanks Mike.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I attempt to polish off the paint top-coat in order to replicate wear using a very, very fine polishing stick, which, after all, is how wear happens in real life. It's time consuming but does produce an interesting and hopefully realistic effect. 

1 hour ago, t15dja said:

Many thanks Mike.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I attempt to polish off the paint top-coat in order to replicate wear using a very, very fine polishing stick, which, after all, is how wear happens in real life. It's time consuming but does produce an interesting and hopefully realistic effect. 

I do similar, I prime with Halfords aluminium, paint the camouflage over the top, then abrade it off using fine polishing pads.  If the aircraft was primed with Zinc Chromate, spay that over the aluminium and camouflage over the top.  You can abrade to the primer or the aluminium.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1