Canadian Rescue Frog ++ Finished ++

CliffB

On 4/29/2020 at 9:44 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice work Cliff and some great solutions to your kits problems. Keep going, it’s looking good. 

Thanks H. :)

I've been distracted away by other things, but am now back on the Lanc full time.  The wings/engine nacelles are almost finished and I've started working on the transparencies.

First up was the cockpit canopy which had a curved front (post #18).  I've now reworked this to make it more angular.  It's not perfect, but is definitely better and hopefully should look OK with framing 🤞🏼.

P1110458.JPG

Cheers

• Like 5

Cliff, I’m about to pull mould my canopy and have flattened the front of the original from your suggestion.

Beware the endplates. I originally put mine on the wrong way round on my 684. They are made with enormous rudders and not enough fin. I had to make a decision on the fin flash !!

Glad you are back in the saddle

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 9:12 AM, Adrian Hills said:

Cliff, I’m about to pull mould my canopy and have flattened the front of the original from your suggestion.

Beware the endplates. I originally put mine on the wrong way round on my 684. They are made with enormous rudders and not enough fin. I had to make a decision on the fin flash !!

Hi Adrian.  The transparencies seem to be a particularly weak part of this kit.  On mine, the bomb aimer's bubble had a nasty ejector pin mark on its inside surface.  Fiddly to get rid of.  I thought I'd succeeded, but not quite 100% from certain angles.  It'll do though ;).

I don't get your concerns about the end plates?  Mine seem OK.  I'm not sure about the multitude of panel lines though.  I might fill mine, although that would have been easier to do before I stuck them on!

That aside, I'm now ready to start painting .  The painting instructions that came with your decals are brilliant, they've resolved all the uncertainties that I had had :).

P1110473.JPG

Cheers

• Like 6

Cliff, it was my mistake on the endplates, on the 684, my finflashes go over the divide between the fin and rudder - fortunately the Manchester doesn’t have them.

just looked at the bomb aimer’s blister and OUCH - I see exactly what you mean regarding ejector mark. At least for me it suits the Manchester as it is the lower profile, what I call ‘Canadian version’ ie seen on the Hercules engined mk II Lancs as used by Canadians. 🇨🇦(I am one by naturalisation) 😊😊

• Like 1

I remember a friend of mine who bought the novo issue of this, I think from the local W H Smiths thinking he'd got a bargain until he opened the box and.... "WTF scale is that?" was his first words of dismay. I think it wasn't long before it flew it's final mission and was downed by a .22 !

Edited by Ruskin Air Services
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

I remember a friend of mine who bought the novo issue of this, I think from the local W H Smiths thinking he'd got a bargain until he opened the box and.... "WTF scale is that?" was his first words of dismay.

Quite.  It's not really compatible with 1/72 :winkgrin:

P1110476.JPG

Of course, back in 1959 when the kit was first released, 1/96 was not seen as unusual as it was half the size of 1/48 (already finding favour in the US).  At least, that's what I've been told! 👶🏼

Cheers

• Like 4

On 5/18/2020 at 8:20 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking forward to seeing some paint on her Cliff

Here you are H :)

P1110477.JPG

After priming everything white, I've started adding the pin stripes on the fuselage.  There's been a bit of bleed through where there are panel lines, but overall it's not too bad.

I'll be using some decals for the lightning bolts at the front of the stripes and I've used a Citadel Miniatures red as my closest match.  I used to get on well with these paints, but a few years ago they changed their range and this pot just did not want to be sprayed!

Cheers

• Like 3

The painting, I think, is finished :)

P1110481.JPG

There should be de-icing boots on the fins too, but I'm baulking at this.  Throughout the painting process, I've been struggling with paint bleed along the heavy panel lines.  At the moment, I don't want this challenge with the de-icing boots.  I'm not 100% happy with this decision though, so things may change in the morning!

Cheers.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 8:40 PM, Adrian Hills said:

The canopy came out really well 🙂

Thanks Adrian.  The fact that much of the canopy is painted over certainly helps!

On 5/28/2020 at 12:19 AM, PeterB said:

Excellent finish.

Thanks Pete.  Luckily, my old camera now provides a slightly softer focus which flatters a bit ;)

Cheers

Hooray, it's finished :)

P1110482.JPG

I ended up adding de-icing boots to the fins after all, but used a marker pen rather than paint (I still masked though).

Really, the model needs a selection of antenna (which would undoubtedly lift it to another level), but I've no appetite for adding these at the moment.  To be honest, I don't want to risk the paint finish ;)!

I've really enjoyed this GB and thank you to all who have supported my build. 

Special thanks to @Adrian Hills (who generously donated a beautiful decal sheet to the cause), and to @vppelt68 for hosting :thumbsup:.

Cheers

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Nice build and a lovely finish Cliff - red/orange on silver cannot have been easy.

Thanks Pete.  In fact I put the orange on before the silver so was spared those tribulations! 

Cheers

• Like 1

That’s really beautiful Cliff. The painting and masking looks perfect and the overall package is very impressive. It’s been fun watching this exacting replica come to life. 
Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1