Royal Rhodesian/Rhodesian Air Force Hawker Hunter Schemes

Tiger331

Having been totally enthused with the way in which my Airfix Hawker Hunter GA.11 has gone together and reading some interesting books on the Royal Rhodesian/Rhodesian Air Force recently, I have now turned my attention to building my second Hunter in markings from this Air Arm. The problem I have right now is with the conflicting decal references I have, especially in terms of colour schemes and, IIRC, there has been previous correspondence on this subject.

By my understanding/deduction the following options for RRhAF/RRhAF Hunters (not including Air force of Zimbabwe) are correct:

Original Delivery - Standard RAF Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/Silver Scheme with Triple Assegai Roundels/insignia

Some time after - Same scheme with Single Assegai Roundels/insignia

After Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI) - Same Scheme with new 'Lion' Roundel (Dark Green/White) applied on forward fuselage and Green/White/Green Fin Flash

New Dark Green/Dark Earth/Light Aircraft Grey scheme with Lion Roundel and Green/White/Green Fin Flash

During 'Bush Wars' - New Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces scheme with Lion Roundel on forward fuselage and Green/White/Green Fin Flash (sometime later the Lion insignia was removed leaving only the Fin Flash)

Now the problem !. I have also seen the following options:

Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky Scheme with Single Assegai insignia circa 1967 (Xtradecal Sheet X48-203)

Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces scheme with Single Assegai insignia (Dekl's Decals DZ48-037)

Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces scheme with Lion insigina on rear fuselage (Dekl's Decals DZ48-035)

I don't think any of these are correct but only because I cannot find any accurate photographic references to bear them out.

My inclination is the go with the Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces with Lion insignia option on Xtradecal Sheet X48-203 but before I finally go nap, I would like absolute confirmation. 

I am hoping an authority on RRhAF/RhAF Hunters can shed more light. Many Thanks !

8 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Having been totally enthused with the way in which my Airfix Hawker Hunter GA.11 has gone together and reading some interesting books on the Royal Rhodesian/Rhodesian Air Force recently, I have now turned my attention to building my second Hunter in markings from this Air Arm. The problem I have right now is with the conflicting decal references I have, especially in terms of colour schemes and, IIRC, there has been previous correspondence on this subject.

By my understanding/deduction the following options for RRhAF/RRhAF Hunters (not including Air force of Zimbabwe) are correct:

Original Delivery - Standard RAF Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/Silver Scheme with Triple Assegai Roundels/insignia

Some time after - Same scheme with Single Assegai Roundels/insignia

After Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI) - Same Scheme with new 'Lion' Roundel (Dark Green/White) applied on forward fuselage and Green/White/Green Fin Flash

New Dark Green/Dark Earth/Light Aircraft Grey scheme with Lion Roundel and Green/White/Green Fin Flash

During 'Bush Wars' - New Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces scheme with Lion Roundel on forward fuselage and Green/White/Green Fin Flash (sometime later the Lion insignia was removed leaving only the Fin Flash)

Now the problem !. I have also seen the following options:

Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky Scheme with Single Assegai insignia circa 1967 (Xtradecal Sheet X48-203)

Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces scheme with Single Assegai insignia (Dekl's Decals DZ48-037)

Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces scheme with Lion insigina on rear fuselage (Dekl's Decals DZ48-035)

I don't think any of these are correct but only because I cannot find any accurate photographic references to bear them out.

My inclination is the go with the Dark Green/Dark Earth over Dark Earth undersurfaces with Lion insignia option on Xtradecal Sheet X48-203 but before I finally go nap, I would like absolute confirmation. 

I am hoping an authority on RRhAF/RhAF Hunters can shed more light. Many Thanks !

I am no authority but RRAF/RhAf is a special interest of mine.

1 - I have never found evidence of the 'sky undersides' on Hunters except in an old Scale Aircraft Modelling issue.  I am convinced that was an error on their part.  Canberras got sky undersides briefly.

2- Where did you find ref to  "New Dark Green/Dark Earth/Light Aircraft Grey scheme with Lion Roundel and Green/White/Green Fin Flash", please?  I haven't seen LAG mentioned AFAIK.

3 - Dark Earth/Dark Green over Dark Earth undersides with lion roundel on nose and green/white/green fin flash is a safe choice.   You may need to pay attention to the antennae fit.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help with the camouflage scheme, but these links might be useful for arming your model:

Frantan (napalm)
https://www.shapeways.com/product/AVMAETYCD/rhodesian-frantan?optionId=64954702&li=marketplace

Golf Bomb
https://www.shapeways.com/product/554XSXSEE/rhodesian-450-kg-golf-bomb?optionId=64891718&li=marketplace

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...