Hi chaps. 

It's been a long time since I posted on here. 

As I've just been laid off work, for at least the next month due to coronavirus, I have decided to throw myself into my modeling again. 

This kit has been in my stash for about 3 years, I picked it up at the huddersfield show. 

DSC-0569.jpg

It's an old airfix kit of slave 1. There's no scale on the box, but I seem to remember reading it was something weird like 1:83!

As you can see the box has seen better days. 

Have made a start, and will post up the obligatory sprue shots tomorrow. 

Matt

• Like 6

Hi, Matt.

As others here have said, a warm welcome back to BM. I hope that you can get back to work as soon as possible.

The kit has a bit of a "filler queen" reputation (but, from what I've read, most of the old AMT kits are that way). You can really go to town on the weathering, as the original looked like she'd seen a lot of battles in her time. I will be following your progress with great interest.

Thanks for sharing.   

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the warm welcome back @Pete in Lincs, @Hunter Rose, @spruecutter96

As promised here are the sprue shots...

DSC-0571.jpg

This is how it was all packed in the box, everything in one bag, with the clear parts just floating around loose. 

DSC-0573.jpg

Main hull halves. 

DSC-0576.jpg

Lovely raised panel lines everywhere. 

DSC-0577.jpg

Cockpit insert. 

DSC-0578.jpg

DSC-0579.jpg

Nice details on the base plate. 

DSC-0580.jpg

DSC-0581.jpg

Rear, for want of a better word, skirt. More raised panel lines. 

DSC-0585.jpg

Front skirt, complete with sink marks, which seems to be a feature of this kit. 

DSC-0586.jpg

DSC-0587.jpg

DSC-0588.jpg

Ahh, a cute little Boba. 

DSC-0589.jpg

DSC-0590.jpg

DSC-0591.jpg

Assorted loose parts that have become detached in the bag. 

DSC-0594.jpg

The canopy, which is nice and clear, but has some distortion to it. 

DSC-0593.jpg

We even get a little han solo frozen in Carbonite. Why he's molded in clear I don't know. 

DSC-0582.jpg

We even get a stand, which is nice, will help to display this awkward shaped ship! 

DSC-0595.jpg

DSC-0596.jpgupload image online

DSC-0597.jpg

DSC-0598.jpg

Very basic instructions, apparently there are only 3 colour call outs for this kit, me thinks some references will be required. 

Work has started, and I will post some work up later. 

Matt

• Like 5

Brings back memories :) I built this as a teenager, and did my best to paint it how it looked in the movie.  I was quite proud of it at the time, but like most of my childhood models it got broken up, the last part being one of the control "flippers" that I saw in a box of bits a while back.  Can't remember whether I threw it out or not now :hmmm:

Sorry to hear about work - hopefully something will crop up to keep the coffers somewhere near healthy :yes:

• Thanks 1

Hi Matt,

Nice to see you back. Sorry to hear about your work and I wish you the very best of luck. Looking forward to seeing your build progress...

Cheers,

Tom

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike and Tom. The work situation isn't too bad as I will still get 80% of my full pay, just to sit at home doing nowt. 

Started building, and boy this is going to be fun, like Chris said earlier it's going to be a filler queen for sure. 

Decided to ignore the instructions, up to a point, as I want to assemble the main body of the ship. Hopefully this will help in the painting process. 

DSC-0600.jpg

I started at the nose end. I removed the location pins as well, because I was struggling to get the two halves aligned. 

DSC-0606.jpg

You can see the problem here, this is the best I could align them, and you can see the mis-match in the canopy surround. I thought it would be better to have the error here, as it is easier to deal with. 

DSC-0599.jpg

Another issue here,part distortion. I think one half of the body was bent out of shape. 

DSC-0602.jpg

Cured with a bit of masking tape. 

DSC-0607.jpg

DSC-0610.jpg

DSC-0611.jpg

As you can see here, the kit kind of fits, where it touches. 

DSC-0605.jpg

DSC-0609.jpg

Started cleaning up the seams, ready for the filler. 

Matt

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

...The work situation isn't too bad as I will still get 80% of my full pay, just to sit at home doing nowt... 

This Covid thing is a real PITA.  But if you want cheering up about your situation, at my company (to protect it and all our jobs) everyone took a 15% pay cut to continue working full time from home.  And my workspace is my model space, so after a full day working I need to get out of this room, so I'm actually doing less modelling during lockdown.  But I'm fine with this, I'll just be happy to still have a job when we make it out the other side.

But back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this.  Star Wars is my life (ask my exasperated wife and kids), and Boba Fett always has been my favourite character of anything ever (closely followed by Ironman/Tony Stark).  If I was slimmer, I would love to build replica Fett armour.  So this build is right up my street.  I hope it doesn't give you too many headaches along the way.

Stay safe

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

This Covid thing is a real PITA.  But if you want cheering up about your situation, at my company (to protect it and all our jobs) everyone took a 15% pay cut to continue working full time from home.  And my workspace is my model space, so after a full day working I need to get out of this room, so I'm actually doing less modelling during lockdown.  But I'm fine with this, I'll just be happy to still have a job when we make it out the other side.

Stay safe

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's a very admirable action taken by your company, I hope you all make it through. My company side lined me with the excuse of my asthma, putting me in an at risk group. Funny really, but it didn't concern them the week before. 

Back to the build in hand. 

Started with the filling today. 

DSC-0614.jpg

DSC-0615.jpg

DSC-0616.jpg

Slapped on copious ammounts of perfect plastic putty, with quite a lot on the rear section. 

DSC-0617.jpg

DSC-0618.jpg

Back filled the rear of the skirt with squadron green putty. 

Just need to sand this lot back now. 

Matt

• Like 9

Just popped over to your threads @Pete in Lincs. That's some very nice work you've done there, much better use of the kit. 

On a side note, has anyone got any clue about what colours to use? The instructions only call out brick red, silver and black. 

Sanding away at the filler at the moment. Will put some pictures up later. 

Matt

23 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

has anyone got any clue about what colours to use?

I just put slave into the search box and see what turned up. About five odd pages I think. Worth a look through to see what others have done.

• Like 1

There is indeed some green in there @HoolioPaulio. Going to use olive drab I think. Not sure if I should use enamel or acrylic to paint this kit. Going to use my airbrush, hopefully, but not tried spraying enamel before. This is going to be my first attempt at weathering and chipping, never tried either before. Got a pan, in my mind, to use masking fluid over a base coat of silver, to simulate bare metal exposed under the paint. I can see it working in my head, but don't know if I can pull it off practically. 

• Like 1

Weathering is the one reason I haven't yet built this, or the Millennium Falcon.  I don't really do weathering.  I didn't do too bad on the Snowspeeder I built in the Sci-Fi GB just before xmas, which was my first attempt at it.  But I still have a lot to learn.

I can't comment on paints, I only shoot acrylics as I have to do it in the house and I don't want enamel fumes around the kids.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your job and hopefully things will improve.

Great to see this build and takes me right back!

I seem to remember a magazine build from way back and I think there are some see-through gaps from the sides that might need blocking with plasticard?

Have the popcorn ready for the next instalment!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

There are some of the paints I used in my build of the Finemolds Slave 1 listed here. You might need to convert them to your own paint brand preferences, but it might be some help.

Andy:cat:

I used your post for reference when I built my small £6 Revell Slave 1... It's not as good a kit as some but with a decent paint job it looks the part and it's almost the same size as the 1:144 options.

I did this as a test planning to get a Bandai and do a better job... but never got round to buying the Bandai version. I really need to take some better non dusty shots of this someday..

IMG_6814

IMG_6811

IMG_6810

Edited by SMD70
  • Like 5

Thanks for all the input guys. Andy and smd70, those are some beautiful builds there, don't think mine will turn out any where near as good. Mike, this is the same reason why I've avoided builds like this, the weathering scares me to death. 

I'll look into the reccomended paints, to see if I have anything similar, as with the current situation I can't get any more. 

Dermot, I don't know about the holes, but I will find out in due course. 

DSC-0626.jpg

DSC-0627.jpg

DSC-0628.jpg

Second round of filling and sanding done. I've been having trouble with this last seam, on the top of the tail, due to the lack of support under it it kept popping open. 

Due to this I decided to add the section on the underside to add some strength. 

DSC-0619.jpg

DSC-0620.jpg

This of course came with it's own problems. As per the rest of this kit, it fits where it touches. Had to use loads of tape to close it up the best I can. 

DSC-0629.jpg

DSC-0630.jpg

This is the best I could get it. The second picture shows the worst of the gaps. Also I had to shim the sides of the loading ramp, due to poor fit. I glued it shut as I'm not bothered about having it opening. 

DSC-0623.jpg

DSC-0625.jpg

I've attached the two side panels, and the wing pivot axle, to the base plate. I've sprayed it with poundlands finest Matt silver, ready for top coats and weathering. 

Matt

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing this, (I must have been 10 when I made mine).

The only advice I can give is put some plasticine in the bottom of the cockpit console so that it swings properly, worked a treat for me!

About the same time, Boyes in Scarborough got a stock of unboxed MPC kits, x-wing, R2 and 3PO, unboxed, no instructions, bargain at 25p each. Had to pay full wack for this though.

Probably lucky I don't have any photos to post of mine....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would have loved to pick up some of those unboxed kits! Genuine ones seem to go for a fair price, when they become available. 

Just a small update today. 

DSC-0631.jpg

Gave the body a squirt of primer, just to see how my filling looked. Not so good. As you can see I've had to do some more filling, just gave it another blast, and will see how it looks when it's dry. 

Matt 

• Like 2

Matt, I wondered how this one was going. You may need to glue some bits of plastic card under the tail fuselage seam.

If you can get in there now, that is. I think I remember doing that on mine and it made it much stronger.

• Like 1