Fairey Gannet AEW3 849NAS on board Ark Royal, 1/72 Sword

Superb job!  I have been thinking of acquiring this kit. Just a couple of questions - is the arrestor hook in the 'down' position for show or is the model a 'tail sitter' and needs the hiook to prop it up?  The Gannet appears to be painted matt overall, yet all Gannets were high gloss as were all FAA aircraft of the period. Admittedly, when at sea they lost a lot of the gloss, but I never saw one  completely matt. Pehaps this is something about 'viewing perspective', as I note several modellers tend to paint models of 'highly polished' aircraft in matt paint?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AMB said:

is the arrestor hook in the 'down' position for show or is the model a 'tail sitter' and needs the hiook to prop it up?  The Gannet appears to be painted matt overall, yet all Gannets were high gloss as were all FAA aircraft of the period. Admittedly, when at sea they lost a lot of the gloss, but I never saw one  completely matt. Pehaps this is something about 'viewing perspective', as I note several modellers tend to paint models of 'highly polished' aircraft in matt paint?

Hi,

1) the aircraft is definitely a tail-sitter, but I don't like adding weights inside the nose on my models if I can,to preserve the landing gears' ...health!

As I've got severalpicturesshowing the Gannet on deck withthe arrestor hook down, I took this opportunity to use it as a fourth leg.

2) I find gloss finish a little...toyish on this scale and realaircraft in service at sea weren't so bright as the aircraft preserved in museums.

I used a mix of Future and matt cear. I had started with more Future in the mix,but the colors resulted much darker, thus I added some more matt clear in the mix. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

That's an awesome result.  I have this kit in my stash but I'm frightened to start it now because I don't think my efforts will result in anything that's worthy of being in the same room as yours.  Bravo! 🥇 

• Thanks 1

The front view of the Gannet with the mishmash of propellers and double wing fold is just so amazing to see.  It looks like something out of a Transformer movie done with CGI magic rather than a planned way to store a large aircraft on a carrier deck.  It is just an awesome look.  The scratch built wing folds are just a thing to behold given that there is two per wing.  Thanks for sharing this build.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 27/04/2023 at 01:28, CJP said:

Hi Massimo - I thought I would revisit your AEW3 Gannet & admire the wingfold detail you made - I'm slowly working my way through my Dynavector AS1Gannet

CJP

Hi,

I've seen you're doing a superb job with yours!!! And it's a vac- form!!!!!

Fantastic work, especially the folding wings and extra detail you've added, all topped off with a very good paint and weathering job!  👌

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

Gannet AEW is one of my all time favorite aircraft, and you have done this one proud! Congrats on the wing fold and the weathering, both done convincingly. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Just bought this kit, yours looks absolutely fantastic, I was thinking of doing mine also with the wing folds, the kit looks really nice, one thing that I am unsure about is that wings had those strengthening strips both top and bottom, a member of a club who used to work for Fairey mentioned it, but without photos can't say whether that is true or not

• Thanks 1