1/35 Tamiya French Light Tank Renault R35

Hi all, 

I felt like I needed a new project to help get through this period in which I'll be spending much time at home. The kit I've chosen to work on is Tamiya's brand new Renault R35 in 1/35th scale (pictured below). I'm pretty excited to get going on this one once it arrives in the mail. If there aren't too many delays due to the lockdown, I should be ready to go next week at the latest. This gives me enough time to do research and choose the particular vehicle I'm going to build. In the meantime here is how I've decided to breakdown my project. 

PHASE 1: CONSTRUCTION

Part 1: References 

Here I'm mainly going to compile a selection of images taken from internet as well as a few "walkarounds" I know are available. Also, I expect to use a book called "French Tanks of WWII pt.1" from Osprey Publishing. 

Part 2: Removing parts from the sprue & part preparation

It might not be the usual way of doing things but I'm planning on detaching and sanding all parts before actually gluing any of them together. This being a Tamiya kit, I really don't expect much trouble in the way of mould marks etc..

Part 3: Basic exterior assembly 

Here I assemble all the parts that will be painted in the base colour, in other words the core of the model excluding certain details that are easier to paint individually. I'm not sure how often I will post updates during this part but most likely every 3-4 "steps" in the instructions. 

Part 4: Textures

This part is something I guess I'm going to experiment with. The R35 was made mainly of 3 large casted pieces bolted together. The Tamiya kit tries to replicate this cast texture but from what I've heard it isn't pronounced enough. If this ends up being the case I'll redo it myself as well as the various weld lines. 

Part 5: Battle Damage

I haven't decided which particular R35 I'm going to represent but it is possible that I might add some light battle damage to the model depending on what the real one went through. 

Part 6: Exterior Detailing 

Finally, I'll end the build phase by constructing the metal tracks I'm going to purchase to go along with this kit. This is also where I'll add any extra details or accessories if I feel the need. 

Well, there's the plan. Now to execute! I'll post again once the research is completed. 

Cheers, Jack

spacer.png

• Like 4

Okay, a week has gone by and still no sign of the kit in the mail. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised given the current situation. I think it's fair to say I'm itching to get going on this one so hopefully it'll arrive in the next couple of days and I can actually start cutting some pieces off sprues. On the + side this meant I had loads of time to spend doing research, which I concluded today. 

Part 1: References

I've ordered the Osprey Book about "French Tanks of WWII" but that has to be printed first so I'll be lucky if it arrives before the construction is finished. The first step for me in any project is to get some general information on the subject. For armour, this inevitably starts by reading the relevant article on the Tank Encyclopedia's website. This gave me a good overview of what the R35 was about.

I like to "force" myself to use the decals from the box so it gives me boundaries to work within. In the case of the Renault R35 this limited me to two different vehicle markings. "Le Buffle" of the 21e Bataillon de Chars de Combat (BCC) or a tank from the 23e BCC. After hours of research, much helped by my understanding of the french language, I came to the conclusion that I would roll with the "Buffle" from the 21e BCC. This is mainly because of the pictures available below (albeit almost exclusively taken by the Germans after its capture) but also because this particular tank operated in the town of Sarrebourg, which is my mum's home town, making it all the more personal and interesting. 

Now, I did have one major issue with both of the markings given by Tamiya in this kit. Both the vehicles represented operated with a trench skid similar to the one commonly seen on the Renault FT. However this trench skid is not at all included in the Tamiya kit so I had to order an aftermarket one designed for an older Hobby Boss model. Hopefully I get it to fit properly on "Le Buffle". In case you're wondering why it isn't on the pictures that's because the Germans removed it upon capture. 

So, as I mentioned I'm going to represent this particular tank at the time it was operating in the region of Sarrebourg, France on the 17th of June 1940 during the German invasion. So, with a bunch of articles on the 21e BCC, a handy 120+ picture walkaround, a little homemade dossier of photos and a book on its way, I felt ready to set in stone my plan for the project and conclude the research part. 

PLAN

KIT: Tamiya French Light Tank R35 - No.35373 - 1/35th scale

AFTERMARKET: - French R35 Metal Track Links (Friulmodel - No. ATL-168) 

- "The Tail" for Renault R35 (Niko Model - NP35002)

VEHICLE: "Le Buffle" No. 50836, 2e Section, 1ere Compagnie, 21e Bataillon de Chars de Combat, Groupe de Bataillons de Chars de Combat 501, Ve Armee 

LOCATION/TIME: Sarrebourg, France, 17th of June 1940 

DECALS: Decals in the box

FINISH: Produced and delivered between May 1937 and June 1939. Has not seen combat yet, reconnaissance missions for the last three/four days. No extras of note on vehicle besides trench skid. No damage of note. Fields/Forests around Sarrebourg. Presumably not much cross-country travel to date. Decent weather, light precipitations. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

Just a quick post to mention that I've completed the separation and preparation of all parts from the Tamiya kit. I'm just waiting on the arrival of my aftermarket set for the "tail" from Poland. Once it comes I'll have the whole thing constructed in a day. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the Polish postal service has suspended its international shipping. This means my aftermarket parts could be significantly delayed. I'll have to put this project on hold till they arrive. Till then I'll work on my T-55 which can be followed here

9 hours ago, Major Wardaddy said:

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the Polish postal service has suspended its international shipping. This means my aftermarket parts could be significantly delayed. I'll have to put this project on hold till they arrive. Till then I'll work on my T-55 which can be followed here

Well, I ordered the Tamiya T-55 from Plastmodel in Poland and it's on it's way. If the Polish post service is shut down, I think that they are using couriers instead (GLS).

John.

That’s a distinct possibility John, but I wrote to the website and they told me that they had no idea when they could get it to me and that they were “looking for alternatives”. I guess maybe the fact that it’s an on-demand aftermarket part might be a playing factor.
Good to hear the T-55 is on the way though, I’m going to get down to that one v. soon. The research phase is causing me a lot of headaches... I hate the “unknown unit” above a certain camo scheme. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Major Wardaddy said:

I hate the “unknown unit” above a certain camo scheme. 

Yes, me too. A lot of the kits of IDF tanks are labelled like that in the painting instructions, my M51 by Tamiya is one. Fortunately I have a few of the Sabingamartin books and I go by the profiles in those, hence having to hand paint some of the markings. When I do the T55 as a Tiran5, I will get Ernst Peddinghaus to knock up some decals for me.

John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

The aftermarket set I've been waiting for finally arrived. It took quite a while to come, as evidenced by the dust which has gathered on the parts of my Renault. 

Part 2: Removing parts from the sprue and part preparation

Nothing much to say else here apart from these new Tamiya kits are really stress free and a pleasure to work with. The parts in white are the aftermarket parts for the "tail". They include a nice little chain and equipment piece which is nice. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6