Sea Harrier ***Finished***

Andwil

It may be just an optical illusion, but am I seeing correctly that the drooped auxilary intake doors you've added are "hinged" at the trailing edge of the openings on the starboard side (vs leading edge on the port intake)?

May well be too far along and too small an issue if I have spotted a glitch. Overall you're doing great justice to a classic kit!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, CT7567 said:

It may be just an optical illusion, but am I seeing correctly that the drooped auxilary intake doors you've added are "hinged" at the trailing edge of the openings on the starboard side (vs leading edge on the port intake)?

May well be too far along and too small an issue if I have spotted a glitch. Overall you're doing great justice to a classic kit!

Oh 💩how did I manage to do that?!  What a goose.  Looks like I’ll have to display the port side only.  Last timeI do this mod, in future I will either use aftermarket intakes or just ignore the closed doors.

AW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Oh 💩how did I manage to do that?!  What a goose.  Looks like I’ll have to display the port side only.  Last timeI do this mod, in future I will either use aftermarket intakes or just ignore the closed doors.

AW

Such a small thing most will never notice, I'm sure. And I don't know which markings you have planned (obviously pre-Falklands), but maybe you can explain it away as a little known, unsuccessful trial mod of bi-directional intakes for rapid yaw 😆

Unmasked the fuselage today:

49919033437_152585ef02_b.jpg

Happy with that, very little bleed.  I then re-masked the nose and sprayed the radome with NATO black:

49918735951_0d485968b8_b.jpg

AW

Edited by Andwil
Undid some autocorrect
  • Like 2

Nose unmasked and wings and tail planes attached:

49921514188_91f6a73e91_b.jpg

Looks like a Sea Harrier now.

Of course having been so careful with it all along, after taking this photo I dropped the model and broke the pitot off.  I can probably make a better one with some wire anyway.

AW

• Like 4

Jet nozzles attached and the various antennae on the tail painted Lifecolour Tan.  These will need a second coat and a tidy up.

49928580563_b912725693_b.jpg

49929098336_759a49a635_b.jpg

I have no idea what that lighter blue area behind the ventral fin in the photo is as it’s not there in real life!

AW

• Like 1

Glossed and ready for decals:

49932719473_eda1b5fbb3_b.jpg

I’ve ordered a Master brass pitot to replace the broken one (it will look better as well), it’s on it’s way, hopefully it will arrive in time to complete the model for the GB.

AW

• Like 3

With the a Buffalo finished I can now concentrate on the Sea Harrier.  Started the decals today, actually I intended to start yesterday, got all set to go but a seven hour power outage put paid to that!  We had some pretty high winds and a tree probably came down on the lines somewhere and recalling by candle light is not recommended.

Port side and undersides done today:

49954966481_ceb966d66b_b.jpg

49954464168_e231fc096b_b.jpg

The decals behaved well and settled down nicely, only problem was with the fuselage roundel on the intake which seems to be an issue with all Harriers.  The instructions are a bit vague with placement of stencils and this together with less than perfect eyesight has probably led to some mis placement.  Care is also needed because some of the decal numbers do not match with the 

placement plans.

AW 

• Like 3

Decals finished and sealed in with a clear coat.  The eagle eyed will spot a stuff up with the stencils.

49962818917_03cd2e833f_b.jpg

49962818907_3c927d5104_b.jpg

49962534321_4e1c653ed7_b.jpg

Only a few antennae and the undercarriage to attach, some light weathering and she will be done.  Hopefully the pitot I have ordered will arrive in time, thats in the lap of the gods and Australia Post.

AW

• Like 3

Postman delivered my pitot this morning!  The Master pitot is a vast improvement on the kit part that I broke off so that turned out to be a happy accident.  As a bonus, with the pitot Master also give you a microscopic but exquisite angle of attack sensor:

49965662028_cd05835cf4_b.jpg

The small antennae and yaw vane were attached with CA, these are just butt joints with no positive attachment points.  Undercarriage and pylons also attached.

49966442932_acd2453faa_b.jpg

49966165816_f323d46afc_b.jpg

I’ll let the glue on the antennae cure over night and carefully paint them tomorrow if I have time.

AW

• Like 2

I love the Master brass products.  Well made, affordably priced.  Those and resin bang seats are my 2 most frequent upgrades as they make a fairly large impact for minimal cash outlay.  I actually just ordered a slew of F-4 pitots a couple weeks ago (to hit a price point for discounted shipping).  :thumbsup:

I’m calling it done.  More pictures to follow in the gallery.

49969415231_7016e4a0d4_b.jpg

49968902703_3ffe47bdc0_b.jpg

49969680327_2187ee08c3_b.jpg

Thanks to @rob85 for running this enjoyable group build and well done everybody for all the wonderful builds.

See you over in the Helicopters and STOVL GB shortly!

AW

• Like 5