Supermarine S.5 (N 220) AMP - 1/48

On 3/31/2020 at 3:44 PM, Andrew.S said:

My friend #Dusan R has just started his own S.5 from AMP and he found out a few mistakes this kit contains. For instance the float's width is smaller in comparison with the drawing and also with the photos. The starboard float struts should be longer than the port ones and there are some other issues with the engine cowling (which will be presented during the build).

P1560043

P1560042

That will be all for now with the S.5, thanks for reading and have a good model building time during the lockdown.
Cheers!

Andrew

I'm loving this as I have one in the stash and am looking forward to some Golden Age love RSN.

Whence did you get the drawing?

Also, your text and the drawing indicate the starboard struts are longer, yet the photo suggests to me at least that the port struts are longer. :blink:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Oh yes? That's bad, I bought Piaggio too.

The P.c.7 was high on my list as the concept behind it was really ingenious if unsucessful. When I read about the issues I buried my dreams adding this type to my collection 😪

• Like 1

Hello Andrew,

An interesting build and one which I am definitely following, well done so far! 👍

You were asking about reference photos for the cockpit? I recently completed the Marsh Models 1:32 Supermarine S.6b, which had a nicely detailed cockpit and for which I have included some photos of my completed cockpit below. The cockpit in the S.5 must have been fairly similar to it's successor, the S.6 and S.6b so maybe my photos will give you an idea of what details/fittings were in there? NB - Please ignore the text embedded in the photos, they were posted on a different forum where it wasn't possible to place text between photos, so they won't have any relevance to what I'm intending here by sharing photos of my finished cockpit!

GhrEcSK.jpg

waatAJE.jpg

LcQn9VC.jpg

dd6zMVz.jpg

V09GOrE.jpg

9msfJ6d.jpg

jm2jcjR.jpg

IsuULMJ.jpg

Hope that helps?

Kev

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Photo editing
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, dnl42 said:

Also, your text and the drawing indicate the starboard struts are longer, yet the photo suggests to me at least that the port struts are longer. 

I'm into my own research as the AMP kit will be my next build. I too saw this difference and wondered if this was  due to a change in engine from the Napier Lion VIIA to the VIIB (geared) engine and a resulting possible change in prop direction. Now you have to be careful the publisher has not reversed the image but look at this. Optical illusion or is that port strut longer?

S5_Construction_2

Then you have this - starboard strut longer. However, take note of the prop direction anti-clockwise looking from this view or clockwise from the pilot seat. 

S5_Construction_1

Now look at Andrew's image. Prop rotates clock wise from this direction and anti-clockwise from the pilot seat. It is rotating the opposite direction to the previous image.

S5_Construction_3

The "silver" S-5 appears to have the extended port float strut and the blue (assume race) livery has the starboard. I think a result of the prop shaft rotation. I'm assuming the silver version is the earlier version.

Maybe this is what is going on.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Ray_W, your comment about a reversed photo could be the clue for that head-on shot in front of the hanger! Is that a reversed "E" above the hanger door? That would make it consistent with the drawing.

@Andrew.S, what is the source of that fine drawing?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

@Ray_W, your comment about a reversed photo could be the clue for that head-on shot in front of the hanger! Is that a reversed "E" above the hanger door? That would make it consistent with the drawing.

@Andrew.S, what is the source of that fine drawing?

Well picked up, that'll squash the engine theory. Looks like the image is reversed. 

• Like 2

@dnl42

I've checked a number of the "silver" S5 images and it seems the whole series is reversed including the one I posted earlier. In the same series there is a front on image with a small boat in the background and its name can be read and is also reversed. So it answers the question anyway - starboard float strut extended.  

EDIT: Quick way to pick the image direction is what I expect is the pitot tube is mounted to the leading edge of the port wing. 

• Like 2

Excellent bit of detective work going on here! I think you have sussed it. 

The scale drawing here.... 

P1560043

..... has a lot of useful information included but it may not be all readable at that scale. 

I have the same sheet at 1.24 scale and it's a pretty thorough document containing all the variations in the planes 

Starboard float given at 3'10" and port at 3'2" to the centre lines. 

There's absolutely no mention of other rotation due to gearbox installation. Having covered all the other differences I'm sure it would be noted on the drawing. 

N219 had a longer float on the starboard, 4.5" longer but perhaps to do with the fuel tank? 

If there is any notation you can't read on the drawing, I'm happy to "translate". 

I'm looking forward to doing my kit, but you go first.... 😊

The picture of the S5 with the shed and crane in the background, apparently with long port struts, is definitely flipped horizontally. I have a Flight photo taken on what must be same occasion with the S5 and the Gloster IV together. The crane is on the left of the shed and the visible serial N222 on the Gloster shows that it's the right way round. Another piece of evidence: look too at the civilian on the "left" with his breast pocket handkerchief on the wrong side.

Yes, all the flipped photos of the S5 on the slipway at Calshot confused the hell out of me when I was doing some 'then and now' photographs recently! Bits of the original jetty remain, but the sheds on it are gone.

Hanger E shown in the photos is long gone unfortunately, the RNLI buildings are roughly in the same place now.  Many other hangers from then remain though. Here is the S5 by Hanger F, now called the Schneider Hanger.

46136059111_1d2ee40e21_z.jpg

S.5 at Hanger F, RAF Calshot by Mike, on Flickr

45224889915_a163cda8ab_z.jpg

Hanger F, RAF Calshot by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, John Martin said:

I have a question on british fin flashes. All ww2 era and supermarine s6 etc aircraft have fin flashes colored (front to rear) red white blue.  But the s5 has them colored blue white red. Anyone know why?

Yes - take a look here:

As you can see, the changeover took place between the 1929 and 1931 contests, hence the different order of colours.