British Jerry Can colours

Dave Fleming

Hi Dave

I don't think the colour of the Jerry Can denotes its contents but fuel and water cans will normal have different embossed patterns on their sides: water cans are embossed with an X and "WATER" whilst fuel cans display a different design.  Examples from Accurate Armour's Website below:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

I notice looking at pictures that Jerry cans are available in several colours - black, green etc - do these indicate the contents ? Is so, what is what?

Are you asking about modern or historic colours? 

Hi,fuel cans are green,they would have a yellow tag for diesel and a red one for petrol.this tag would be at the spout of the can.

water containers are usually plastic and are black.

HTH.

Ivan

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 1:16 AM, dcrfan said:

Are you asking about modern or historic colours? 

Well I posted in modern...... 🙂

In this case, first Gulf War. the vehicle I am looking at is festooned with different coloured Jerry cans, so was wondering if some were fuel and some water

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

In this case, first Gulf War. the vehicle I am looking at is festooned with different coloured Jerry cans, so was wondering if some were fuel and some water

Can you put a photo up and then we can have a guess?

19 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

😳 So you did.  As posted above fuel type designated with different colour tags on green/black/ and tan (US) painted/colour cans.  Water is marked in variety of ways (like plastic can embossed WATER) but still in standard colour cans.  Non green/black/tan colour cans are not standard practice.

Water cans are black plastic, but can be painted dependent on theatre, but paint can degrade the plastic. Never seen the embossed water ones, probably older issue. I have one green water container in the stores, slightly larger than the regular ones, suspect it is foreign issue "borrowed" in the past.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

The front one is definitely a water can,IMHO on the side it looks like a mix of water and fuel! From left to right I would say fuel,water x2, US fuel can and then water.

There was a lot of mixing and matching between our lot and the cousins so really take your pick 😀

Ivan

• Like 2

Black plastic cans were always water, green metal cans were POL (Petrol, oil and lubricants) as Ivan mentioned they were tagged on the handles, yellow was derv, red for petrol, and I think Kero was blue. Refuelling at night from cans could be fun, you had carry out the sniff test on each can which involved dipping fingers in and sniffing (Benz or Kero) :winkgrin: these tags often fell off as they were a soft steel just bent around one side of the handle.

The colour of the cans varied from bronze satin green, dark green and olive green, during Op Granby they were also painted sand including the water cans, after a while they chipped badly. 

shows the tags on cans:-

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/royal-logistic-corps/rlc-reserve-units/383-commando-petroleum-troop/

• Like 2