1/72nd Fujimi Phantom FG.1 43 sqn 1977

This build was the reason I got back into modelling after a break of 25 odd years (life seems to have got in the way!).  I used to live near RAF Leuchars and although for most of my time there they had Tornados I have a real soft spot for the Phantom.  There were certainly no camo machines there in my time but I don't think you can beat the RAF 1970s camo on a Phantom.    You also can't beat fighter checkerboard markings, so the choice was clear - a late 1970s era 43 sqn FG.1.  Given that the main focus of Leuchars during the cold war was Northern QRA, it was going to be in full Q fit.  Also managed to get some pictures of XV571/A in November 1977 when she ran off the runway at Leuchars.  The one thing I think I have read on here more often than anything else is the importance of primary evidence - try to get pictures of the exact frame and era that you are building - so that made the individual choice of a/c straightforward as well.

This is an OOB build, apart from decals from X003-72 providing the 43 sqn markings (with a type D roundel plonked in the middle).  I really enjoyed building this - the kit went together without any major fuss - its a well covered kit on this site so there were plenty of WIP threads around for guidance.  And having my own WIP thread (below) allowed me to harness the huge amount of knowledge and good will on this site. 

Its no exaggeration when I say that this site has really inspired me on this build.  I have gone above and beyond what I usually would have done in the old days to get stuff right.  A lot of it is probably stuff that doesn't get noticed, but doing the research was just as enjoyable as the build itself.  I'm happy to say that I didn't really have any paint hassles, all the painting is by brush here, although I did use a spray Tamiya primer and white gloss for the missiles.  Main camo was Xtracrylics with a satin coat to finish.  Must admit, though, that to me the finish looks more gloss than satin.  Hey ho.

One major problem I had was breaking off one of the tailplanes.  Tried to glue it back on once, to no avail, so became necessary to pin it.  The thought of taking a drill to a plastic kit filled me with dread (you should see me with shelves!!) but actually, thanks to the advice on here, it worked out fine.  The angle's not quite right but I'm happy with it - and I don't think its coming off in a hurry 🙂  Two other new techniques to me are micro sol and flory wash.  The way that the former makes the decals sink into the panel lines is nothing short of magical - absolutely love the look!  And the flory wash?  Superb stuff - if you don't like it, wash it off and start again.  It probably wasn't at its best on my satin finish, but still looks the business.

Anyway, on with some pictures since that's the point of this thread...

IMG_8690

IMG_8680

IMG_8681

try to ignore the hair under the cockpit!!

IMG_8684

IMG_8693

I didn't get too carried away with the flory wash, have seen some absolutely disgusting Phantom undersides.  It actually came off the satin finish quite easily, so I decided it would be a cleaner machine than normal 🙂  The wash hardly had any effect on the top side camo so it looks almost factory fresh up there.

IMG_8703

IMG_8702

And that's about it.  Fair to say I'm pretty chuffed with the result.  Thanks again to all on here who have provided support and encouragement on the WIP thread along the way - it really has been appreciated.  This was supposed to be the end of my foray back into modelling, but I appear to have acquired an Airfix Vampire and a Revell Tornado in the meantime.  What's a man to do?? 🙂

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 45

16 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

This was supposed to be the end of my foray back into modelling

I'll take 'Famous last words' for £6000, please. ;)
Nice job :thumbsup: and good save on the tail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great looking Phantom Al, painting looks the biz too, our annual Holiday's up to Dunbar in the seventies always yielded a fair amount of Phantom

and Buccaneer spotting.

• Like 1

That's a beautiful Toom, bravo! As someone with quite a bit of history brush-painting Xtracrylix I know how hard they can be to get a good solid finish like you have managed - kudos!

Edited by Vulcanicity

Great looking Toom that! I agree they seem to look even better in camo.

I'm reading F-4 Phantom by ex-43 sqn jockey Robert Prest at the moment, it's well worth searching for online if you've not read it.

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Great looking Toom that! I agree they seem to look even better in camo.

I'm reading F-4 Phantom by ex-43 sqn jockey Robert Prest at the moment, it's well worth searching for online if you've not read it.

Hmm, another book to add to my pile!  Although at least it is available on Kindle.  Are there many pictures in it?  If there are, might have to try for a hard copy..

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Those shots with the mirror base really look the biz. A very good looking build.

Thanks, it was an old bathroom mirror that was sitting in the garage.  Unfortunately, it seems to have two different layers of mirror as the reflections are a bit odd looking.  All the other mirrors in the house are a bit too ornamental.  Not to mention the effort involved in not getting any distracting reflections in it!!

Al.

16 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

Hmm, another book to add to my pile!  Although at least it is available on Kindle.  Are there many pictures in it?  If there are, might have to try for a hard copy..

No just a few small b&w pictures at the end. But it's an engrossing read and a really good insight into flying the Phantom and life as an RAF pilot. A bit different to the usual technical stuff and more about his experiences like landing away at Bitburg, dogfighting Lightnings, etc.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Very nice build of what, despite it's age, is a superb kit.

Regarding the flory wash, were you wiping it off wet or dry?  Dry wipes remove a lot less when you wipe.  You can also try using a light sanding if you want more left behind.

52 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

No just a few small b&w pictures at the end. But it's an engrossing read and a really good insight into flying the Phantom and life as an RAF pilot. A bit different to the usual technical stuff and more about his experiences like landing away at Bitburg, dogfighting Lightnings, etc.

The account of the double generator failure just after tanking is quite illuminating and shows how heavily the F-4 relies on auto-stabilisers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nev said:

Very nice build of what, despite it's age, is a superb kit.

Regarding the flory wash, were you wiping it off wet or dry?  Dry wipes remove a lot less when you wipe.  You can also try using a light sanding if you want more left behind.

I let it dry for a good couple of hours.  Although, I did then use a damp tissue to wipe it off.  I think later on I experimented with dry tissues and it removed a lot less..

Nice one, Al,

Like you, I love this colour scheme on the RAF Phantoms and the date...................Brought back happy memories of afternoons/evenings spent with my Late Father 'at the fence' outside RAF Luqa in Malta, watching Lightnings and Phantoms recovering after a spell on the range during their regular APCs. IIRC (I don't have my Dad's slide collection to hand right now) the 43 and 111 Sqn jets were stripped down with only the inner stores pylons and centreline SUU-23 cannon pod fitted. 1977 was the time of the transition from 'regular' to low visibility roundels/fin flashes so there were still a variety of markings present.

Again, IIRC, the Fujimi F-4K/M Phantom is the third most common type I have modelled (After Matchbox's own F-4K.M Phantom and the re-tooled Airfix SEPECAT Jaguar) and it still graces my kit stash, though in dwindling numbers with the advent of the new Airfix kit (which I have yet to start).

Great job and I fully concur with your thoughts on the Flory washes.....far more forgiving than the enamel based products I have tried to use.

Well Done, Sir !

• Like 1