Centurion AVRE coming from Amusing Hobby

Kingsman

9 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

They are not available mate .. they stopped production a while ago .. but hopefully with the release of this kit they will re introduce them.

Ok sorry for the bum info,they still have them on the website I should have checked availability.

I very nearly splashed out on the last re-release of the AA AVRE.  Glad I didn't......  I'm sure AA will release some parts from that as an update, as they did with their 432 parts.  A polypipe fascine will be an easy addition, although maybe not appropriate to this version.

BTW, did AVREs really still use M1919s as cupola weapons in 1990?  I would have expected them to be replaced with GPMG.  Although I imagine they'd been converted to 7.62mm with disintegrating link belts.

An AVLB would be very nice.  An ARV would have relatively wide appeal as other Centurion customers bought them.  Aussie one in Vietnam.  The S African version with the HIAB on the back.  IDF had some but, unusually, didn't do much to them.

Can we dream of a BARV?  And a Sherman BARV for that matter.....................  What about a long hull Mk7+ and a flat mantlet Mk8+?

And when will Takom morph their 432 into a 433 Abbot?

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition
  • Like 2

There is no fascine cradle  shown on the box art ! As to the .30 browning our ferrets had the change over to the gimpy in the early 80’s, not sure about the AVRE though as I was in support troop.

On a range day the crews were not allowed in the tank when firing the “dustbin” as the ammo was that old,so what they thought about firing it on OP’s who knows 😀

Ivan

And 3 lost to ammunition malfunctions just to prove the point!  US ammunition was issued but was about 2" longer.  Fitted the weapon but not the stowage.

I think the hull applique interfered with the fascine cradle.  None of the uparmoured pictures I found had it.  One wonders which was the better choice.

Does anyone know what MIMIC was, BTW.  I can't find anything on it.  AA have it on their kit.

MIMIC was an early form of electronic/magnetic mine disruptor if I recall correctly. Certainly it's purpose was related to mines in some way. I remember when we visited 32 AER in late 1991, one of the Chieftain AVREs still had it fitted and we were asked not to photograph that vehicle.

Again, from memory, we were told that the Chieftains were used to carry fascines and the Centurions were more for towing the Giant Viper systems (mounted on double-axle heavy girder bridge(?) dolleys) rather than the usual single axle GV trailers. The applique armour/ERA on the Centurion glacis area definitely prevented the fascine cradles being fitted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, Das Abteilung said:

I very nearly splashed out on the last re-release of the AA AVRE.  Glad I didn't......  I'm sure AA will release some parts from that as an update, as they did with their 432 parts.  A polypipe fascine will be an easy addition, although maybe not appropriate to this version.

BTW, did AVREs really still use M1919s as cupola weapons in 1990?  I would have expected them to be replaced with GPMG.  Although I imagine they'd been converted to 7.62mm with disintegrating link belts.

An AVLB would be very nice.  An ARV would have relatively wide appeal as other Centurion customers bought them.  Aussie one in Vietnam.  The S African version with the HIAB on the back.  IDF had some but, unusually, didn't do much to them.

Can we dream of a BARV?  And a Sherman BARV for that matter.....................  What about a long hull Mk7+ and a flat mantlet Mk8+?

And when will Takom morph their 432 into a 433 Abbot?

Here you are Das Abteilung you’re dreams may come true,check this guy out.Also had an email saying that a Chieftain AVRE (Willich) is due shortly, also Giant Viper,Python trailers and fascine  bundles.

https://dragonbadger.co.uk/

Happy days i hope 😀

Ivan

Edited by ivan-o

I’ve had some stuff from him and I aware of others that have had items as well .. it’s very rough and poor quality. It delaminates very easily when cleaning up  sanding etc..