BOAC FW-200 Condor

Vesa Jussila

So I am looking my next project and I have Revell civil Condor waiting. I was thinking options related to this, that are quite limited, Some were used by Deutche Lufthansa, Det Danske Luftfartselskab, Syndicato Condor and Cruzeiro do Sul.

Danish machine was used later by BOAC, but was this always in camouflage? Or was there period without?

OY-DAM flew in to Shoreham on 8 April 1940.  Overnight, the Germans invaded Denmark and Norway, so when the crew returned to the airfield on the morning of 9th, they were not permitted access to the aircraft.  It did not fly again in DDL markings, but it was 12th before the bright orange was given a quick hand-painted overcoat of camouflage - my speculation, but this may well have been top and sides only, so the orange undersurface would have remained.  The aircraft did not have a British registration at that point, and again did not fly.  The British registration was allocated on 15 May, and G-AGAY was ferried to Whitchurch at the end of the month, for storage as BOAC could not find a use for it.  The brush-painted camouflage remained until June 1941, when the aircraft went to Cunliffe Owen for a complete overhaul.  It would appear that the few photographs of it in British markings were taken after that.  And of course it crashed on 12 July, having done not very much in British markings.

• Like 1

If you can find it, there's everything you ever wanted to know (but were mortally afraid to ask) about the two Danish Condors in Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor With Danish Airlines in War and Peace, 1938-1946 by Rob Mulder and Gunther Ott, published in 2013 by European Airlines Rob Mulder. It's no longer listed on the website, so I suspect it's out of print, but may still be available via the usual second-hand outlets.

26-4.jpg

13 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

So I am looking my next project and I have Revell civil Condor waiting. I was thinking options related to this, that are quite limited, Some were used by Deutche Lufthansa, Det Danske Luftfartselskab, Syndicato Condor and Cruzeiro do Sul.

Danish machine was used later by BOAC, but was this always in camouflage? Or was there period without?

What about that Soviet one?

I have to tell that there must be some doubts and discussion  about the true colours, since it was presented like that also

1_o_1.jpg

• Like 2

By the time of its demise at White Waltham G-AGAY had been allocated the RAF serial DX177 but I've not seen any evidence it was ever painted up.  I can only recall having seen 2 photos of G-AGAY, both portside views of a camouflaged aircraft.

There is a picture in the excellent book from Phil Butler, "War Prizes" on page 35.

It shows the the former Danish Airlines Fw 200 with its British civilian registration G-AGAY applied. The registration was underlined with red, white and blue stripes to highlight the civilian status of the aircraft, a ruling that applied to all civilian aircraft at the time.

The source of the picture is PRO, AIR 40/124 

modelldoc

3 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Mulder & Ott's excellent book on the Condor has just been reprinted. Just a low print run, so you should get it now if you want it.

https://www.europeanairlines.no/product/focke-wulf-fw-200-condor-with-danish-air-lines-in-war-and-peace/

I would say: get it while you can, this is  a great book!

Peter

I've just built this kit and I wish I'd had some of the research material handy before I started...........

Various opinions that i did see variously posited that the underside  - 

a] retained the silver underside of the Danish Airlines,

b] was painted yellow as befitted many captured Axis-built aircraft, and

c] was painted black as were many "military" aircraft used for civilian purposes.

I went with [c] as it matched my civvy DC3.

Wish I'd known about the "handpainted" cammo as I wouldn't have been so fastidious with the edging........

VJ, suggest you find some fresh decals as those with my kit had aged markedly and, despite 3 months attached to a sunny window and a protective coat of varnish, they silvered horribly, despite the paintwork being polished to the smoothness of a baby's bum !

Spoiled a good kit, sod it !

Rog

5000_1_b1.jpg

5000_1.jpg

Please note different pattern of camo on those two attmpts  - so the photo is needed to find out which is corrent.

Both are taken from Wing Palette, there is a text:

"On 9th April 1940, the day the Germans invaded Denmark, it was seized by the British at Shoreham. It was registered with BOAC as G-AGAY on 15th May 1940 and camouflaged accordingly. On 9th January 1941 it reportedly passed to RAF as DX117. As a result of a landing accident on 12th July 1941 it was scrapped on 18th January 1942. Look also DDL section."

J-W

Edited by JWM

Print Scale does 3 sets of sheets for the Fw.200, several civilian aircraft are covered, including a Norwegian one.  You can see them here.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 2

I built the Revell kit about 1995 and still have it. The BOAC markings I have some doubts about size wise and the decals are a bit rubbish, mine did not silver, but despite the varnish coat dome have started to come off, are there any photos of it when the RAF had it? 

21 hours ago, JWM said:

Please note different pattern of camo on those two attmpts  - so the photo is needed to find out which is corrent.

None of which resembles the actual pattern, I would say.

17 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Print Scale does 3 sets of sheets for the Fw.200, several civilian aircraft are covered, including a Norwegian one.  You can see them here.

Including a Norwegian one??? There were no Fw 200s on the Norwegian register.

On 4/1/2020 at 5:05 PM, Wm Blecky said:

Thanks so much for this. I have the Revell Civil boxing but the decals were unusable. I requested a new set from Revell and they very obligingly sent me the Luftwaffe decals :D

Edit: A shame that that first sheet is out of stock. It's also massive, three sheets in one. I only need one version... if someone wants to share...?

Edited by sroubos

2 hours ago, sroubos said:

Thanks so much for this. I have the Revell Civil boxing but the decals were unusable.

You are not the only one, I have two Revell civil Condors and the decals in both cases despite being stored reasonably well, have deteroiated/cracked beyond belief.

Tommo.

Just ordered a set of 3 civvy sheets from Hannants ; I'll sand off the old silvered ones and replace them, probably have to do some cleaning up of the paintwork too.

Wonder how long they'll take to get to Oz........not that I'm in any hurry !

Rog