A U-Boat Type VIIC/41 from WW2 *** COMPLETED ***

On 4/20/2020 at 4:44 PM, Richard E said:

Those last few touches have really brought the scene to life Clive

Thanks Richard, I was quite pleasantly surprised with the result of the spray effect.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:31 PM, Courageous said:

Great work Clive, looking better with every update.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, much appreciated.

I have today added what I think will be the finishing touches to the sea-spray, and thereby to the project:

8dAIdNd.jpg

qkmstb7.jpg

Hopefully a RFI thread will be forthcoming soon.

Thanks all for your interest, and comments.

• Like 10

On 4/24/2020 at 8:12 PM, Courageous said:

Very atmospheric Clive. I don't know why but I think the left (port) view has a better look than t'other side.

Stuart

Thanks for your comment, Stuart, much appreciated.

The RFI is now available, here

Thanks all :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

• clive_t changed the title to A U-Boat Type VIIC/41 from WW2 *** COMPLETED ***

Never seen that seascape technique before but its very effective.  I especially like the way you've got the surf coming off the casing,  How did you get the gel/cotton wool to stay teased out like that?  Whenever I've tried a similar technique, as soon as I add PVA glue to the cotton wool it goes claggy, sticks to everything and looks awful and I would have that gel would have had the same effect.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, Chewbacca said:

Never seen that seascape technique before but its very effective.  I especially like the way you've got the surf coming off the casing,  How did you get the gel/cotton wool to stay teased out like that?  Whenever I've tried a similar technique, as soon as I add PVA glue to the cotton wool it goes claggy, sticks to everything and looks awful and I would have that gel would have had the same effect.

Thanks, Chewbacca, much appreciated.

The technique I used, was to get a 10cm - ish square piece of cardboard that's been culled from some carton or other (I used a container for a vivarium heat lamp) - anything will do, as long as it's shiny on the exterior.

On that shiny surface I spread out some of the gel, in several separate areas and different sizes. I then got some of the teased out cotton wool, and laid it flat on the wet glue, and patted it firmly so that every bit of the cotton wool was in contact with the glue.

I then coated the cotton wool bits again with the gel, in effect I now had several very thin gel/cotton wool sandwiches :)

I usually gave it an hour before attempting to peel the thin sandwiches off the shiny card. What I ended up with were some almost transparent sheets of thin strands and small, flat clumps of cotton wool. I then tore the things to roughly the desired shape and size, and cut a piece off each with some scissors to give me a flat edge to go against the hull in the right location. They were simply fixed on with gel; more gel was applied after that had dried, so as to build up the thickness of the 'wash' as required. Once it dried I still had the cotton wool surf effect. Sometimes it was necessary to pull the cotton wool off the card before the gel had set fully, so that I could tease it out a little more - but the fact that it was at least partially set meant the cotton wool kept its shape better before completely drying and fixing to the model.

Like any technique there's a learning curve to negotiate - my waste bin was fairly busy receiving the aborted early attempts before I got the result I was looking for! Having said that, it's not a costly lesson so definitely worth giving it a try. I think you could very likely achieve the same with PVA (disclaimer: I didn't actually try it); the main point is the use of the shiny card to give you a stable layer of thin cotton wool that's also mostly transparent when peeled off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Clive.  I didn't dare do mine on any form of surface because I knew it would stick so I had the cotton wool suspended from a bulldog clip.  I'll certainly give that technique a try on shiny card.  I've got a 1/600 HMS ALACRITY in a South Atlantic gale on the paused list at the moment and that will need a lot of white water cascading over the fo'c'sle

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Thanks Clive.  I didn't dare do mine on any form of surface because I knew it would stick so I had the cotton wool suspended from a bulldog clip.  I'll certainly give that technique a try on shiny card.  I've got a 1/600 HMS ALACRITY in a South Atlantic gale on the paused list at the moment and that will need a lot of white water cascading over the fo'c'sle

I think the technique would likely work, although you might need to build up the effect in successive layers of 'sandwiches' as I described previously.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Clive, just got around to reading the WIP, thought I'd already done so, brilliant!

I'd originally assumed you'd gone the resin route for the sea scape, how wrong was I. Brilliant idea, never seen cotton wool used so convincingly.

Must say this is real modelling, clever ideas using household bits-and-bobs..inspirational. 

:worthy:

Thanks for showing

Darryl