1/72 Sword Reggiane Re.2000 GA

Here is my Reggiane Re.2000 from the Sword kit. Overall an OK kit, fit wasn't too bad though fitting the engine in the cowling was a pain. Pretty much OOB, though I did risk cutting open and thinning the canopy (after first checking a vacform replacement was available!

Supplied decals are TechMod ... which I have a love/hate relationship with ... beautifully printed and very thing, not a hint of silvering, which could have been a real problem with the clear areas on the national insignia. But a real pain to apply - all too easy to fold one over on itself, which is pretty much unrecoverable. Density is pretty good, though I wish now I had opted to paint the cross on the rudder.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Of course the real interest in making this one was the paint job. After looking for usable images and artwork, I tried to emulate Schema A from the Stormo colour guide 

Attempt no 1 was to freehand it with an airbrush, but I just couldn't get the feathering tight enough ... I think it needs to have a harder edge than say a Luftwaffe mottle. Attempt no 2 had me using green as the base colour, then using blutak to mask out the green mottles, then repeat for the maroon. This worked a bit better, but the spacing wasn't right. I found it hard to visualise how much space to leave in the first round of masking. So attempt no 3, I added ALL the mottle masks, then removed those marked red, sprayed, the reapplied the 2nd colour mask

spacer.png

Here it is with all blu tack applied. The red blobs were removed, and maroon paint applied. Then the red blobs stuck back on and final yellow coats added.

I think the mottling should have been denser, but by then I'd had enough!

The red cowling was a bit of a conundrum. The Sword instructions called for a 'dark red', but I could find no reference to this in the usual sources. In the end I went for Japanese hinomaru red which, based on no evidence whatsoever, looks right to my eyes!

All paints are Colourcoats.

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 13

Great result. You have some patience with the mottling! It's always a difficult choice isn't it? You are determined to go free hand with the airbrush but it's so difficult. I think in this case after 2 attempts i would have resorted to the hairy stick! Haha. Lovely end result though 👍

20 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Kit engine too big to fit inside the cowling?

No - more that the location was extremely vague - I think as Sword suggest it, the engine would sit too far back in the cowling. Hard to get a good attachment. In fact engine broke free while trying to attach the prop. fun and games re-fixing it without spoiling everything!

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 1