Italeri 1/72 Albatros DIII

7 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hope you get it fixed soon

Friday. Luckily the bathroom has a separate stack and drain!

And it’s public, not septic tank. Normally I would be at the DIY shop, but...

Regards,

Adrian

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Friday. Luckily the bathroom has a separate stack and drain!

Regards,

Adrian

Phew,

Thats a relief 😯, good job about the separate stack and drain.

Cheers Greg

Drilled all the upper holes with a 0.2mm bit. I’m drilling the lower holes with a 0.5mm bit because I can feed three or four lines down through the same hole. I’ve coloured the thread by drawing it over a black Sharpie and you can see how it makes the line stand out more:

65-C9-D166-2930-4355-BB4-E-A7-F0-D1-BDDF

• Like 5

Well, I wasn’t intending to do this but it just sort of happened. The cabane struts were, surprisingly, quite well aligned, so I stuck them onto the fuselage and added the wings. Then I trimmed the “V” struts down and squeezed them into the gaps:

18-F687-A3-6900-49-B4-8525-C242-C5-AA927

490329-CA-1-F4-C-46-FE-887-A-CBB4689-C51

Leading edges are parallel and 19.5mm apart at the strut on each side, so it seems pretty symmetrical. I need to get back to work (that was a very long lunch hour!) but hopefully I can do the rest tonight.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Out of interest what is the S.E.5a like?

Er - basic! It was even worse than this, which is why I threw it together in an afternoon. The decal sheet is the only redeeming feature of this box of frogs.

Back in Albatros land, rigging is done, with only a small amount of retouching to do:
0-EEDA183-8755-49-FE-A9-DD-722-DF30-FCC5

005-F7-D95-2599-4-D2-E-8-F67-1932-FD752-

1-CFEA7-A4-ECFD-4118-BF4-A-BFECF0-A60-DC

Pulling the groups of rigging lines through just two larger holes each side saved a lot of time, although you need to get the tension right on all of the lines in the group before you glue them. This time (don’t stare!) the front starboard flying wire could be tighter but it doesn’t show on a casual view.

So, undercarriage, skid tip, windscreen, touch-up, decals, wash and varnish!

• Like 3

On 3/31/2020 at 12:49 PM, AdrianMF said:

This kit needs some TLC

Well it certainly got that, Adrian.  Rigging looks really good.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Rigging looks really good.

Pride comes before a fall. In handling the model I loosened some of the rigging! I treated it with a hot pin to help it shrink tight again, and it worked mostly, apart from the one I burned through. So there is one EZLine piece (don’t stare!).

Most of the handling came from making and footing the two  fuse wire radiator feed hoses.

Anyhow, just getting ready for transfers:

B5197-F27-0564-47-E8-B106-CD9769623-C5-A

• Like 3

Transfers are on:

0860481-F-DA2-B-48-B4-913-A-7896-BDCB8-F

More rigging has slackened off and I need a retouch where the decal solution has damaged the wood effect wash after being left on too long. Grrr. I’ve had my five pounds’ worth of fun with this but it’s beginning to feel like ten quids’ worth of pain!

• Like 4

Albatros, get your Albatros! All right, somebody needed to say it. I'll get me coat, but before I do let me compliment Adrian on another fine job turning a mediocre kit into a lovely model!

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

Thank you all! When Tamiya sets up a clinic to cure modellers of wasting their time trying to build rubbish kits, there will be a big pile of Italeri/ESCI/Eldon Albatroses in the aversion therapy room...

Finished, after replacing another rigging wire, touching up the wood effect and giving the wings a light wash of grime:

340-D43-F6-40-CF-49-C3-8817-AF45465-B6-D

7-C12708-E-5-F58-4-BAF-9-F13-94-D818436-

D03-EB620-90-F2-465-E-A3-DB-E4-CC6-FD03-

On a positive note, I did learn (again!!) that superglue does go off and should be tossed at the first sign of off-ness, and I’m pleased that I can now scratch build WWI style wheels.

This won’t be featuring in RFI. Done! Next!!

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

• Like 9

I'm impressed like heck with this (these, I read the Revell thread too) build(s), you've got some cracking results with them. I've long thought I should have an Albatross among my stock of kits & after seeing these builds, I'm not going for one of these. ;) :D

Steve.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm not going for one of these

I would go for the Eduard DV. It looks fantastic, and has a range of very nice looking colour schemes. Don't know why this one got ahead of it!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bbudde said:

lump of plastic

After all the scratching and fiddling with this, my Pegasus DI/DIIs (I want to make one of each) should be no problem at all. Although short run, they are very nicely moulded.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2