Italeri 1/72 Albatros DIII

I was tidying up the study the other day when I came across this:

Italeri_SE5A_box_zps2a43ctxu.jpg&key=da0

Bought in a model shop in Philadelphia on a whim, in 2015 when $14.99 was less than a tenner - bargain! It was only when I opened the box and looked at the contents:

Italeri_SE5A_parts_zps3u4h286u.jpg&key=d

Hmm. This is the 1960s Eldon kit, itself a poor copy of a not-particularly-brilliant Revell kit, re-boxed by many manufacturers before ending up in an Italeri box. I actually built the Revell kit here because I had one in the stash and had dug it out to compare to this one, and the SE5a from the box also got built here.

This kit needs some TLC to bring it up to even slightly acceptable standards: removing the massive moulded-in seat and cockpit arrangement; adjusting the wings to make them (somewhat) more accurate in outline; and fixing the too-round-and-too-narrow fuselage. Start with the fuselage interior:

D922-B326-2593-4-C56-A1-B1-3-D0-ECD3-B34

Wings trimmed down, insert added ready to re-shape the cutout and a new cockpit edge from soldering wire:

EF785026-C64-D-4-C3-E-B3-D3-8593-C3-C1-E

Fuselage sanded down, flat sides added and profile sorted:

8556-C14-D-009-A-4-D3-E-8-CF5-8-C38-F422

And Milliput applied:

C8260423-8-D1-A-4353-B932-02-E7-D6-D1-C2

I've got the alternative colour scheme, with the natural wood fuselage colour, in mind for this one:

Italeri_SE5A_schemes_zps1ttzqzhr.jpg&key

Not quite sure why I keep doing this to myself when I have a perfectly decent Eduard DV in the stash...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Not quite sure why I keep doing this to myself

Well I’m glad you are, I like WW1 fixy uppers. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Not quite sure why I keep doing this to myself

It’s the sense of achievement wrangling a semi decent model from a terrible kit.

A bit like the Father Ted episode where he buys mrs Doyle A teasmaid so as to avoid the misery of making tea, to which she replies, maybe some people like the misery....

• Haha 3

I had no idea Italeri had reboxed this. As you say, sometimes the challenge is half the fun, but usually only when there's nothing better available!

Good luck!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I finally managed to push the work laptop to one side and get some hobby time. I thought it was my civic duty to ignore the good weather and stay inside today! So I’ve detailed the engine and made some replacement guns:

E5-FC3989-D56-C-4-BD4-86-C1-AB0-EA6-F387

I know Spandau cooling jackets are hollow but you can’t see the damn things under the wing...

• Like 11

Not bad for scratchbuilt. I've seen a LOT worse in kits that I've paid for! 

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I've seen a LOT worse in kits that I've paid for! 

Hmmm, this one for instance!

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks good to me

Thanks Greg, it looks even better three feet away!

The undercarriage legs were not straight, tubular, constant width or the right length, so out with the rod and tube:

0694-A56-F-E3-D8-40-D4-A085-901-E3898-AC

As I build this poor-copy-of-the-Revell kit, I am starting to appreciate how good a kit the Revell DIII is!

• Like 4

Answer: being stuck without a crappy old Italaeri copy of a poor Revell kit to turn into an acceptable replica of the real thing. Or to put it another way, make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Wonderful recovery operation going on here - and let's be honest, if a model does not provide a challenge, it is not worth building in the first place.

P

• Like 1

Having twice improved the Revell kit I think I understand your frustration. But I agree with Phoenix. It's a challenge but it's looking good. Got to admit I wouldn't have bothered with the guns as they can be hidden but I like the perforated effect on the barrels.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Wheels...hmm.

Outside diameter 10mm. I have these, from the ancient FROG Fw190:

4703-D2-A1-A6-B4-40-BD-B1-D2-E580-D49301

Tyres too fat. Next.

I have some solder that is about right for tyres and a paintbrush handle gives me 10mm outside diameter tyres:

E79276-A4-8669-4144-B4-CC-17-C8-EF886-E1

My Olfa cutter has a minimum diameter of 10mm. I need 7.5mm. Enter the home-made drill. Pushing the card in a circle past the blade will cut through in about seven revolutions:

BE9-ED9-CF-138-A-4-FFD-ABA4-CA9-B9912689

AB6-F77-D9-DF87-44-F3-BC82-79-BAC807-CFB

Two wheels, two disks per wheel:
C1724-B88-C30-A-4950-8-FB6-E83101-C4-F21

I’m going to add a stub axle to the outer disks and make the conical hub from filler, then go to bed and hope I can find a plumber tomorrow (see “drain” above). I’ve run out of strong chemicals and straightened coat hangers ain’t working...

• Like 8

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wheels...hmm

If this doesn’t work out to your satisfaction you might try plunge moulding.  Same problem I had with the little Camel of years ago.  Shaped a  dowl, plunged a couple of convex discs, smoothed them and overlaid them on the kit wheels.  Looked okay I think.

1159bb95-acd8-4da6-b018-a2232ed7cf07.jpe

Enjoying this “kit rescue “ build.

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use wooden buttons. Mount them on a mandrel and put them in to a rotary tool (Dremel, etc I have a Goxawee which is a knock off of a dermal 2000) them with a sharp blade turn them to the right profile.

for the centres cut an oversized disk of 10 thou card, cut out about a 20 degree segment and glue the edges to make a shallow cone, the joint may need a tiny bit of filler, then attach this to the turned button.

48947996406_2b0dc929ac_c.jpg

The wheels on the Bristol were done this way. The wheels on the Depredussin were made from disks of card laminated together with plunge molded centres, much more work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

So, a little quiz for everyone.

Q: What’s worse than being stuck at home in a lockdown?

A: being stuck at home with a blocked drain!

Oh joy...

Bummer!

Been there and done that. You on septic tank or public waste water? 

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Cheers Greg

• Thanks 1