Alternate thinner for Colourcoats

ckw

I'm almost out of Colourcoats thinner, and given Sovereign Hobbies are warning about delayed delivery, I'm wondering what the best alternative is. I was going to give  Mr Color Levelling Thinner a try until I read Jamie's recent disaster! So what do you think? plain old white spirit or something Naptha based (like Zippo lighter fluid),

Thanks for any advice

Colin

• Like 1

I have successfully used white spirit, cellulose thinners and lighter fluid with Colourcoats in the past, though the drying time increases considerably. That can be improved by adding some Rustins Driers. My bottle cost me around a fiver many years ago and I'm only about a third of the way through it.

I did try Mr Levelling Thinner with an old tin of WEM Colourcoats USN Blue Grey that wasn't behaving with Colourcoats thinner and it worked very well indeed. I'm not sure what was going on with that particular tin, but it's the only one of over a hundred CC paints that has ever played up in my experience.

Avoid Bartoline Low Odour white spirit though. That *will* turn Colourcoats (and Humbrol) into a gloopy mess. It's fine for cleaning brushes, but not as a model paint thinner.

• Like 1

Hi,

We have plenty thinners here and can still post. The notice is because our carriers wont guarantee the delivery schedules and we don't like receiving whiny emails! :D

However... naptha works well. Cellulose works fine on all except our ACLW30 RAL2005 day-glow and ACUS46 International Orange. White spirit works but poorly as with all enamels - it thins ok but it's oily, stinks and takes eons to dry. The MLT worked fine until I applied a wash on to it which was naptha based. Otherwise it was fine. It took longer to dry than our thinner - but that's kinda what it's designed to do (keep the paint wet for longer to let it level out).

Great - exactly what I needed from the horse's mouth (no offence!). If you're still posting I'll order the real thing ... just have to work out what paints I should top up while I'm at it

Thanks

Colin

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Avoid Bartoline Low Odour white spirit though. That *will* turn Colourcoats (and Humbrol) into a gloopy mess. It's fine for cleaning brushes, but not as a model paint thinner.

I always work on the assumption that anything supposedly good for you is never as effective or nice as the full fat version!

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I used Mr Levelling Thinner with Colourcoats for ages without any problems before the dedicated Colourcoats Thinner was available. Jamie is just a cack-handed, clumsy devil (ask him how his GWH Devastator is as he's not much of a juggler either!).

Duncan B

• Haha 3