fewr9fkr9595

Sorry for lack of updates. These pics are from a while back, just never got around to posting them. 

Often lose interest during summer when it’s nice weather. Who wants to be stuck indoors when it’s glorious outside?

Anyways did the old maskol post shade trick to get the corrosion control look for the B. 

Four hours with a toothpick 🤦🏼‍♀️

FE877935-3-DEB-4-A91-8275-429-F43113-E23

0-C72-CCE4-D1-B2-49-B0-A907-843588-BE395

Smoke sprayed all over - 

D75-BD74-B-81-A0-4921-A775-2022-F8-C7-AA

Removed - 
1181-E4-F7-FA5-D-4-C2-C-8-D62-4-BDB752-D

73207-BBA-86-DD-43-BE-94-F1-880-B3-ED64-

7-A2-C05-A3-C958-49-FB-8-DD3-C62-A5-F710

A783191-A-9-EF2-4-D45-BA36-99457-E04-EF4

Quite strong this time. It was micro-meshed back a bit in places then some grey misted back over here and there to blend. Not shown. 

cheers. 

• Like 3

Tried to replicate the different style of corrosion control as seen on earlier jets. 
Rather than repainting the panel and or it’s edges, it seems they put some sort of a paste or grease type stuff to seal around rivets and edges. Does anyone know what its called?

I tried to spray it freehand but too difficult and small to try and paint individual rivets. So made a mask from tape with a hole in and placed it over the rivets one at a time. Tedious. 

I used various dark reddish browns from MRP. 

Here is the actual jet showing the patches - 

Note around gun muzzle, all the rivets done on fuselage sides, rectangles behind canopy and bits on intake edges. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/14135759319

Here is my attempt - 

Masking tape with hole. 

DFC393-BD-3338-4-C35-9-C29-7804197899-CC

Result - 

70-B010-A5-BF27-409-F-9-E5-B-9-B177-BB05

Trying to match reference pic linked above - 
73504361-FD09-4665-B1-CE-E29-D2-A9904-D3

So after it was all done I went over with the original tamiya shades to tone down and blend. 
Then to add some variations I used MRP gull and white to do a few bits here and there and some overpainting. 
A bit strong now but once the wash is done and then some weathering it will hopefully calm down. 
B8-F2-D19-F-FAE8-481-A-9875-18903-BF8-B4

FDA0754-A-9-E17-4-D5-A-A777-72-C0-E71-F0

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 2

Oh bloody hell, what was that crap called?  I know we kept a small bottle of it in our framer boxes.  It's a temporary preservative that is used to cover bare metal until it can be touched up.  It needs to be reapplied every 14 days, post wash.  It's applied by acid brush and usually found on screw heads of common access panels, tie-down locations. and where every else they find chips that need to be temporarily covered.  On the Prowlers, washes were every 14 days, and corrosion inspections (followed by treatment and touch up painting) was every 28 days.  I would assume the other aircraft had similar timelines, but I don't know for absolute certain.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Oh bloody hell, what was that crap called?  I know we kept a small bottle of it in our framer boxes.  It's a temporary preservative that is used to cover bare metal until it can be touched up.  It needs to be reapplied every 14 days, post wash.  It's applied by acid brush and usually found on screw heads of common access panels, tie-down locations. and where every else they find chips that need to be temporarily covered.  On the Prowlers, washes were every 14 days, and corrosion inspections (followed by treatment and touch up painting) was every 28 days.  I would assume the other aircraft had similar timelines, but I don't know for absolute certain.

Nice one mate that’s really interesting. When did that get phased out and replaced with spot painting?

Perhaps when they transitioned to the TPS paint job as never seen a ghost grey jet with brown paste over it’s rivets and panel lines? 

i’ve not seen it that liberally applied before.  Granted when I was in, the only hi-viz birds we had on deck were the Hawkeyes and the KA-6Ds.

I would suspect it may have been supply or operational constraints that prevented touch up from happening.  I’ll have to keep an eye out for it in pics.

There may have also been certain panels that required sealant applied after re-installation.  The sealant wouldn’t have been painted immediately, rather it would just get picked up & painted during the next 28 day.  The sealant we were using at the time was a dark grey.  Good ole 8802...god that stuff stank.  :D

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, helios16v said:

I’ve not seen it that liberally applied before

Yeah I used a bit of artistic license, as the ‘dirtiest’ reference pic only shows the front side and intake. Used that as inspiration for the rest of the jet as bound to have it elsewhere if that much already can be seen around all those edges and rivets. 
Looks like some on underside of stabs too?

There are other views of this jet from the same angle presumably from earlier in the cruise as much cleaner. Like this one, just a touch of that stuff around gun panel and a spot or two on intake edge. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat/5126349

32 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah I used a bit of artistic license, as the ‘dirtiest’ reference pic only shows the front side and intake. Used that as inspiration for the rest of the jet as bound to have it elsewhere if that much already can be seen around all those edges and rivets. 
Looks like some on underside of stabs too?

There are other views of this jet from the same angle presumably from earlier in the cruise as much cleaner. Like this one, just a touch of that stuff around gun panel and a spot or two on intake edge. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat/5126349

Underside of the stabs just looks dirty.  Probably a less than ideal paint touch up that left a rough surface, which the dirt & grime (especially from the flight deck) get embedded in the paint.  All touch up painting took place in the hangar bays, so depending on space allowance paint may get deferred to the next inspection cycle and bare metal touched up w/ the brown goop.  Also supplies can affect things.  More than one we've been unable to use "proper" materials due to either bad stock in the stores, or delays in getting materials to the ship.

Our hanger queen finally heading off the pointy end on a check flight.  I think she spent a month in the hangar bay having electrical gremlins chased down.  The nose art would've been covered over once she was checked operational before heading on station.  You can see all the mis-colored patches (half the supply of paint on the ship had bad catalyst, so all we had was 36375 to work with.  You can also see the unpainted (well, missing the 35237 & 36320) due to replacement on deployment (bird strike or parking mishap?).  They definitely didn't come back looking as nice as they did when we went out.

23984021751_b1d4a0dbea_c.jpg

Loving the builds.  :cheers:

• Thanks 2

The stuff mentioned, wasn't Thiokol was it?

Gets used a lot to form a waterproof (and conductive if the conductive type is used) seal between panels on civil stuff)

• Like 1

Panel line washes done over the weekend. 

I went with lighter shades than I normally would. Tried this a few months back on the GWH ‘A’ build and liked it.  
Rather than have them all in your face with a dark grey/black they are only slightly enhanced. 
Then I can pick out and make some darker here and there with grime/individual panel washes, rather than them being all uniform. You can’t make out every panel line on jets in real pictures. 

Medium grey all over on TPS and Light grey all over for the gull and white jet. 

0-B6-E39-AD-9-C4-B-40-E0-87-C1-5439-FB09

8-BFB7-FBA-2159-4383-AFDC-263244794239.j

95-C3-A52-D-1746-4841-9485-34-A609-E76-F

Small details next like detailing loadout, seats and U/C etc. 

Then its grime time with oilbrushers. 

• Like 2