fewr9fkr9595

Nice project Tony and always great to see an old-style colourful Tomcat scheme.

Are you planning to use the VF-114 option any time soon?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yes I was going to use it on the ital/esci kit that it came from. Did you see my thread about this kit and the crew names? 😂

Glad to hear they'll feature on one of your models as the aardvark is a favourite of mine :) 

Can't say I've noticed menion of the crew names. Which thread is that?

53 minutes ago, Col. said:

Glad to hear they'll feature on one of your models as the aardvark is a favourite of mine :) 

Can't say I've noticed menion of the crew names. Which thread is that?

Here mate 👌🏽

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Here mate 👌🏽

Cheers fella.

Sadly reading that thread has made me realise the Italeri 'Top Gun' kit I added to the stash recently was a lot of wasted money :crying: Perhaps a Hasegawa or Academy kit is in my future before the STGB starts...

42 minutes ago, Col. said:

Cheers fella.

Sadly reading that thread has made me realise the Italeri 'Top Gun' kit I added to the stash recently was a lot of wasted money :crying: Perhaps a Hasegawa or Academy kit is in my future before the STGB starts...

That top gun boxing by Italeri is their own tool, which is slightly better outline and shape wise than the esci plastic inside the current release. 

Best best is get one of these new academy kits and use the topgun decals from that on it 🤗

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yes I was going to use it on the ital/esci kit that it came from. Did you see my thread about this kit and the crew names? 😂

maybe is better option use FCM decals for VF-114 or Furball (all stars), because I see some innacuracies on Italeri decals, as Letters NH (i don t know but looks weird, maybe too close each other), also the orange not convince me IMHO.

spacer.png

spacer.png

by the way great project, specially the AB105, I have the same decal sheet to use. I stay tuned to follow any step on these 2 Academy

Cheers!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gremlin said:

maybe is better option use FCM decals for VF-114 or Furball (all stars), because I see some innacuracies on Italeri decals, as Letters NH (i don t know but looks weird, maybe too close each other), also the orange not convince me IMHO.

Mate that old esci kit isn’t worth wasting proper AM decals like that on it 😂

Thats at the very bottom of the build pile anyways...

Any ways back to these two - made some progress with them and should have some pics later 👌🏽

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

That top gun boxing by Italeri is their own tool, which is slightly better outline and shape wise than the esci plastic inside the current release. 

Best best is get one of these new academy kits and use the topgun decals from that on it 🤗

I'm watching you work on these Academy kits and they are tempting me but then the Hasegawa one is a good bit cheaper... :hmmm:

1 hour ago, Col. said:

I'm watching you work on these Academy kits and they are tempting me but then the Hasegawa one is a good bit cheaper... :hmmm:

Where? 

Perhaps the old tool (raised panel lines) one  can be had for £20 but the newer tool one (engraved lines and about 30 years old now) would be about the same price around £30 I imagine and is a more frustrating/challenging  build than this Acad kit. 

For the sake of a few quid you’ll get a better result than a Hasegawa kit which worst case could end up on the shelf of doom. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Where?

Seen a few on eBay recently and been investigating the various boxings to check which were the relatively newer tooling. Although the Acad. kit does look very nice.

Cockpits done. 

Decals for the A on the left. All painted for the B on the right. A had satin dark gull paint to facilitate the decals. B had flat dark gull to help brushing the details. Went for a dirtier older finish on the B from 98 and kept the A fresh as would be about brand new in 76. 
The green screen decals were really bright so toned them down while the clear green was out for the B’s screens. 
Only addition was a bit of yellow stripe decal on the wedge at the back. 

D591-C772-9618-4-B6-E-8-AA8-4-D187-BE441

FCF3-FF58-A217-448-A-B08-A-420292-E1-B0-

Intakes next. 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Intakes - These are my resin cast seamless ones. 

Tamiya lacquers used. 

The A’s were easy as all white and the B’s needed masking for the grey. 

Intake fans done in silver. 

The ramps had an brownish enamel wash and some black on the fans. 

Note all visible ejection pin marks aren’t visible when assembled so didn’t bother filling them. 

D4-E1-D4-FB-E76-B-429-E-8323-121-AE77-D5

P&W A fan. 

8886-E40-A-0-CCB-4135-A7-FF-53-FCF3915-B

GE B fan. 

A6-A48-E63-4186-42-E7-9641-CA2741709233.

These need assembling now and some streaking done inside. 

Something else I dabbled with - front windshields. 
The one on the left for the A is stronger and then a more faded version on left for the older B. 

9387-A9-B5-459-B-490-F-A963-C9-C9-A6-FCD

Cheers, Tony

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Great progress Tony and tips on building the kit!

Rob

Cheers Rob. 
I went more in depth on my first one really. These are more of a cruise/update as they go along instead of the real nitty gritty. 

• Like 1

Different techniques on those cockpits and nice results on both. Only observation I can offer is the white in certain switches really pops out on the decalled one but that's nothing a little spot painting after dry-brushing wouldn't equalise. If anything the dry-brushed cockpit has a more used apperance while the decals give a factory-fresh look.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Different techniques on those cockpits and nice results on both. Only observation I can offer is the white in certain switches really pops out on the decalled one but that's nothing a little spot painting after dry-brushing wouldn't equalise. If anything the dry-brushed cockpit has a more used apperance while the decals give a factory-fresh look.

Cheers Col. 
Yeah that was the idea as the A is pretty much brand new when it will be depicted and with a closed canopy so stuff will be seen easier. 
The B is the older and may have an open canopy (depending on how well crew turn out) so should be more ‘in scale’ hopefully. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few more pics of stuff done and where these are at now etc - 

Tried out this stuff to detail the LGB’s. Really easy to use and a nice effect. 

39-E82-B0-A-4791-48-A1-BEEC-747-B5-B1-FE

Intakes done -

A’s 
8-B386-B88-6317-40-EB-8-CCA-38441590423-

And the B’s. 
ADE87-C24-6-A51-4855-BA92-42-B3-E08809-D

Most major assy done and some spot priming. 
BFBBD819-0320-4856-8-D96-2-A8-A5602-AE2-

Other thing I did which I saw on @madcat911 ‘s build was to detail the stock ‘winders for the A. 

E138654-D-BB0-C-42-DC-96-E0-B6-B61-D258-

Sorry for the lack of updates, had a month away from these. All pics are from just before the said break. These are not going to make the time cut for this GB, but will continue anyways. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more dabbling with these, 

mainly adding the plate around the RIO’s boarding step for the B. 

Template

876-AB03-D-CA45-46-C9-9-DFE-F4044485-A4-

Cut (0.25mm plastic card)

ADC76642-5-B9-C-4-BC1-832-F-94763-A64-F8

Glued and sanded back a bit as was too proud. 
531-DA359-FFD3-42-FA-A9-B7-AF2-E4-AF3251

Primed!

01836533-4-B77-41-D7-8501-109-CF880-CB1-

They’re now both fully primed and waiting for paint if I can decide what scheme to do them in as keep changing my mind from the original planned ones...

• Like 2

Paint on. 

Ghost greys for the B. 

5216-ACAA-71-B7-4-B6-E-B2-B4-F5-F14-FA55

Gull and white for A. All tamiya lacquers apart from radome is Mr Color as don’t have that. 
8-CFE563-C-7843-4-AAE-AC41-0-B476-C1-E19

Used the new ware advanced mask set on the A to help with flaps on wings, anti glare and some metal areas etc. 
CB6-BB05-D-FE89-4-B37-ABDB-A77-F1654-AA0

I didn’t enjoy these tamiya lacquers. Perhaps too hot in the shed. Even with Mr Colour Leveling thinners they dried too quick and too much roughness/overspray areas. Had to use some 2.5k to smooth them out before glossing. 
Also found them not opaque enough and not alot of contrast between the shades. Perhaps need to change my painting style or try regular primer for these on future builds rather than black basing. 

So the A is obviously still the VF-14 option as has the all white tails. The B however is not going to be a diamond back anymore. I have given into the ‘call of the bones’ or whatever. However will be a lesser seen and really low viz grubby TPS line jet if I can piece the decals together from the bits in the stash. I am a sucker for punishment. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wow almost a month since I did an update. 
not done much modelling in general really. 
Always lose interest during the warmer weather. 

Anyways decals on - 

Used the planned scheme from italeri for the early A, they fit the acad ok but some touch ups with a brush and some red/blue were needed on tails and ventrals. 

The B is wearing a lesser seen scheme from a CTA sheet for a low viz jolly roger. The blandest one I could find 😂

Did some chopping of BuNo and modex numbers and did line jet 112 instead of the supplied XO jet 102. Tail art was two piece. First a solid black base, then the white overlay. Result is a bit thick but really sharp in terms of looks. 

54872320-17-E4-48-AB-A48-A-98-EA7442918-

70736-FD0-6932-4-CCD-8635-D7-C3847-EE5-A

Here you can see fit pre touch ups. Lined up red flash so tip is at top corner and runs along hinge panel line. Results in base of rudders which need blue. Also note edge of ventrals that need red. 
8-C93-BF44-5-F95-4593-A26-C-B74-CAD11-C6

Weathering next...

• Like 4