Back into modelling at 58 after 30 year hiatus

Tramline222

Hello, I'm dipping my toe back into aircraft modelling after a 30 year break.  I look at this website and the outstanding quality of models presented for viewing and its almost intimidating!  I'm literally having to learn everything all over again, I need to know about tools, techniques and learn skills that at 58 may be hard to achieve.  I'd like to begin using an airbrush with a quiet compressor and listen to advice about adhesives, paints and finishes that have moved along so far from the 80s and 90s.    I will be asking loads of questions about tools to use, what items are needed as a starting point and any advice offered will be gratefully accepted.   

Many thanks and I'm looking forward to joining in...

• Like 2

Hi, and welcome aboard and welcome back to the hobby. If you scroll through the home page, you'll find threads for getting help with tools, airbrushes, compressors as well as paints and washes etc. As you're an aircraft modeller, you'll find a thread to ask about aircraft/kits in the aviation section. Just a tip though. Don't ask in the Help and Support section, because as it says, it's not for modelling issues, and many make that mistake.

Enjoy the forum.

John. 

Welcome - your story is very similar to mine. You'll find a lot has changed in 30 years - in particular the paint! This is a real minefield to anyone coming from the "enamel era", So many choices, so much (sometimes contradictory) advice.

For what it's worth, when I came back I jumped onto the acrylic bandwagon with enthusiasm, but after a while I discovered I could generally get a better finish and better control and consistency with enamels (Colourcoats and Xtracolor), I do still use acrylics where appropriate (for speed and convenience), but don't be mislead into thinking that the new ranges of acrylic paint are the answer to everything.

One other big change - 30 years ago, short run kits coming out of Eastern Europe were perhaps best avoided unless you had a love of sanding & filling. Not anymore - many of these short run kits are of stunning quality and detail.

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 1

Hello Tram... :post1: from Chicago USA. As the others have said feel free to ask 99.9% of everyone here are quite friendly and glad to help. The other .01% tend to not say much lest they get a lecture :nono: from others. Myself Im mostly WW2 through Cold-war aircraft. 

Dennis

Greetings from Western Canada and welcome back.  Any questions asked will most likely receive prompt answers full of good information. The people here are a great bunch.

Chris

Welcome from Chermany! 

11 hours ago, Tramline222 said:

I look at this website and the outstanding quality of models presented for viewing and its almost intimidating!

Don't be intimidated! As I just had a more veteran member than myself tell me, we're not just looking for the best of the best. 

• Like 1