Hawker Nimrod II FAA markings

phat trev

A bit of research for a 1/72 Matchbox Fury conversion to a Nimrod II (the sweep-back wings interest me...)

Needing a bit of help with the FAA Squadron markings used, the colours and the ships they were assigned too. I don’t the mushroom models book but hear there might be detail about this in there? Anyone know of good web links perhaps that showcase FAA use of the Nimrod II. 

Edited by phat trev

I seem to recall a modeling article and several photos and profiles of Nimrods in an old issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling, but the volume and issue escape me at the moment. maybe somebody will recall which one?

Mike

Hi Trev.

SAM Vol 3, No 8 (May 1981) had a 5 page article by Alan Hall on converting the Matchbox Hawker Fury into a Hawker Nimrod, including 1/72 scale plans.  The main article for "Aircraft in Detail" was the Gloster Gladiator.  Robin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From Sturtivant's The Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm (2nd ed).  Nimrods were operated by:

800 Sq.  Apr 33-May 36.  Embarked repeatedly in Courageous over that period.  Side numbers initially 500-510, later 102-109, 120.  Sample aircraft: Nimrod I S1582 102 1937-8,  Nimrod K2826 106.

801 Sq.  Apr 33-Oct 36.   Embarked repeatedly in Furious over that period.  Side numbers initially 516-521, later 134-136.  Apparently Nimrod Is only.

802 Sq.  Apr 33-xxx 34.  Embarked repeatedly in Glorious over that period.  Side numbers 561-574 (suggesting the recodings noted above came after Glorious paid off for refit in 1934).  Sample aircraft: Nimrod S1623 572.

803 Sq.  Operated 3 Nimrods eg K5057 in late 38/early 39 prior to receiving Skuas

plus a couple of second-line squadrons had one or two on charge in the build-up to/early part of WW2.

Afraid Sturtivant does not except in photo captions generally differentiate between Mk.Is and Mk.IIs.

The date 3 April is when the above Fleet Fighter Squadrons formed from the merger of several carrier-borne flights.  At least 401, 402, 404 and 408 Flights operated Nimrods but again Sturtivant is not specific as to whether they are Mk. I or Mk.II.

HTH

Great info. Thanks guys, will look into these FAA Squadrons too. 

Does anyone one have a copy of SAM Vol 3, No 8 (May 1981) ? To scan this conversion perhaps. I had a look on eBay and no is is selling this edition :( I think it has a Gloster Gladiator on the front (for ease of looking)

Phat,

I have that issue and it does have the Alan Hall (He's the UK equivalent of our famous 'Bondo' Phil Brandt when it comes to classic conversion builds!) article on converting a Matchbox Fury into a Nimrod Mk 1. There are also 1/72 scale drawings showing the Mk 1 and the Mk 2 with the swept wings, as well as some profiles showing three different aircraft. My scanner is u/s at the moment, but if nobody else has that issue and can't send you a scan of the pages via pm, then pm me and I can copy the pages and send them to you via snail mail. IIRC somebody did an excellent 1/72 vacform of the Mk 2...maybe Esoteric?  Good luck on your project, as anything that has Fury genes is a pretty airplane...my favorite being the Persian Fury with the P&W Hornet radial...you just need a matchbox P-12E for parts and some surgery on the Fury forward fuselage!

Mike

Hi Trev.

Sorry that I did not elaborate in my post, but I also have that issue (plus the next quarter century issues).  Rather rude of me not to offer to a do copy, just send me a PM with your address and I will put a copy in the post.  Alan was a very good friend of mine in the days of balsa wood modeling.

Robin. 

Hi P-T.

Posted the article this morning when I escaped from isolation to do some essential shopping,  I hope that Mike did not mind my jumping in with my offer, I am sure it will be much quicker by post from Kent rather than Texas.

Robin.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Robin said:

Hi P-T.

Posted the article this morning when I escaped from isolation to do some essential shopping,  I hope that Mike did not mind my jumping in with my offer, I am sure it will be much quicker by post from Kent rather than Texas.

Robin.

Not at all! I was hoping one of you on the 'wrong' side of the pond would be able to help him out. I gotta get my scanner working again! Hoping you and yours are safe and well.

Mike

Hi Mike.

Thank you for your reply, will not argue about the rights and wrongs of 'the pond', hope that you are coping with Covid 19 over there and that you and yours are keeping well.  Unfortunately, my two daughters are living away from me, one lives in Whistler in Canada and is coping with the snow and the inability to get onto the ski-slopes and the other is in Jersey in the Channel Islands and worried that she cannot get back to the mainland.  I on the other hand do not let it phase me, I was born before WW2 and remember the food shortages and problems that we had, that is all ancient history.  You take care out there and keep safe.  Robin. 

• Like 1

@Robin

Thanks for your kind thoughts, Just yankin' your chain about the pond! We are all OK here. My daughter is able to work at home, as she is in IT, and my son works for a shop that does auto performance tuning and fabrication, and since they are also a repair shop and not open to the general public, they are exempted and can stay open, so both are fortunate tostill  be employed. I'm a retired school administrator, so Missus 72modeler and I are OK. Local businesses have all gone to delivery, take-out, or curbside, so we can still get needed supplies. I will be OK unless I run out of decal solvent or filler! 😜

Mike