DML 1/48 SPAD XIII

At one point I had decided there were too many planes to build without having to deal with WWI biplanes.  They just seemed like too much work with the rigging and getting the wings straight but I still had that temptation to try one.  So I took a leap and this was my first Bi-Plane, with I guess must go back about 10 to 15 years.  It is DML kit #5902 their first boxing of the 1/48 SPAD XIII and I have to say it is a great kit and a perfect kit to get you started into bi-planes.  It comes with rigging in the form of wires and a bit of photo-etch but not alot.  And best of all the fit is .fantastic.  Only problem I had is the decals were not great (but this was an old kit by the time I tackled it). The stars are from the spare's bin and are too large for this specific plane but they worked for effect and the white on the roundels is translucent but other than that you get a very nice colorful aircraft that easily fits into any cabinet.  This specific aircraft was flown by the United States shortly after the war in celebration of victory (thus the red and white stripes with white stars on a blue background).  Not perfect by any means but fun to build and it got me hooked.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9