Finnish Recce MiG

reini

7 hours ago, reini said:

Added the extra bits (camera sight & control box) on top of the instrument panel. Bit hard to see on the black. But they are there. I might have covered couple vital instruments while doing so - but lets not tell the pilot...

It's all looking great and sure the pilot can move his head if he really needs to see those instruments ;) 

• Like 1

spacer.png

I started looking at the nose shape. Front the windshield towards the nose, there is one curve, and forward of the panel line (blue section), it changes angle to more shallow. Now, looking at all the side profile pictures, this seems to be wrong. But then again, pictures are pictures and I don't have access to reliable drawings.

spacer.png

Looking at the photos, it's bit inconclusive. Sometimes it looks that the kit is correct (like perhaps on this pic, just not that obvious) and sometimes it looks like the drawings are correct.

spacer.png

I came to conclusion that the kit shape might be correct-ish - but is bit too pronounced. This might be after effect of putting in the new nose, who knows. It's all bit hard to photograph, but it's quite obvious when you can spin the model freely on your hands. In any case, I try to reshape the nose just lightly - haven't done anything like this before so wish me luck.

Not that I intended to do anything - I was hoping to have some primer on the MiG but looks like things have bad habit of going off the track.

Speaking of going off-track, I totally forgot about the flaps.

spacer.png

The plane will be landing or has just landed - so having the flaps down is necessary. It would have been easier to cut them open if I hadn't glued the wings together but oh well, let's do this anyway. Looking at the flaps, it seems that the size is different on the top than it is on the bottom. Great, that doesn't complicate things at all. 

spacer.png

Other flap came out without unnecessary violence - the other one I had to cut apart.

spacer.png

Things cleaned up - apart from the broken up flap. I let it dry properly and tidy it up. And I think I need to add little bit material to the flap sides from plasticard - I lost some during the cutting and cleaning so there are gaps that are too large,

So I have my work cut out. Luckily the Viggen is in a good place but plenty of work still to be done with the MiG. Time is flying by but I'm still relatively certain that I will have 6 finished builds for this GB. Well maybe not the display bases.

• Like 4

Great! Always nice to see some plastic chopping. Best to just get on with and think about the consequences later, is my take on it 🙂 

• Like 1

Hmmm no lurking about in other builds if you want to get these finished in time!

Gosh the nose profile is so subtle, is it really that noticeable?

A much easier way to do that change would have been to use thin plastic strips and super glue. Attach each strip then let it set for only a few minutes (just past touch dry) then hit it with a fine file or sanding stick. It's so much easier to work with and super fast and no shrinkage, just use filler at the end for the final finish.

On 22/04/2020 at 22:24, JeroenS said:

Great! Always nice to see some plastic chopping. Best to just get on with and think about the consequences later, is my take on it 🙂 

Haha, yes - that's the way to improve. Fix the things you broke :D 

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hmmm no lurking about in other builds if you want to get these finished in time!

Gosh the nose profile is so subtle, is it really that noticeable?

A much easier way to do that change would have been to use thin plastic strips and super glue. Attach each strip then let it set for only a few minutes (just past touch dry) then hit it with a fine file or sanding stick. It's so much easier to work with and super fast and no shrinkage, just use filler at the end for the final finish.

Tell me about it, I need to get a move on if I intend to finish this. There are all kinds of small things I want to do with the kit that seem to bug me for some reason - but I feel like I don't have much time for extra work. Then again, I don't want to make too many short cuts just to finish the build within this GB timeline. We will see how it goes, I try not to stress too much about it :)

spacer.png

Tamiya putty is real easy to sand, so despite my big lump of putty it was fast job getting it into this shape I was happy with. Is it a big difference? No. Is it now good enough that I feel I can continue with the build? Yes. The biggest problem I saw that it almost looked it was little bit sunken in the middle so I smoothed it out a little bit. It still has that slight change of angle that I did not want to loose completely.  Anyway, I have to remember your try your method next time @trickyrich 

spacer.png

The cutting and sanding made the flaps little bit too narrow, so I added some material.

spacer.png

And here they are, flaps are ready!

Next I have to glue all the lumps and scoops to the fuselage. Which sounds easy but I need to fix atleast the airbrake and make a small scoop that was eaten by the Nordic carpet monster. Not much to sand, seam was good thru most of the fuselage.

Until next time.

• Like 4

Everything looks good there Reini. From what I can recall of this kit the wings needed a little bit of adjustment at their join to the fuselage to promote a good fit.

• Like 1

Moving ahead full steam.

spacer.png

Rear of the gun bulge should meld into the fuselage more, now it's sticking out.

spacer.png

Here it's sanded down to look more like the real thing. And no, it's not sharp in the middle, it's just the silver plastic playing tricks. It's difficult to see even close up, I have to run my finger over it to verify that it is indeed curved and not sharp on the middle :D Primer will sort that out I'm sure. I'm using IPMS Finland magazine number 159 as a guide to do these modifications, it really helps out a lot and speeds things a lot that someone has already figured out the biggest points needing modification. Altough some of the things I've done are not in the magazine, like the nose or the flaps.

spacer.png

I lost one small intake just under the rudder to the nordic carpet monster - so I made a new one out of piece of Gnat pylon.

spacer.png

This door on the rear fuselage is not really looking as it should. Just one part panel instead of two part door.

spacer.png

Corrected with plasticard and plasticard rod as the hinges.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Speed brakes are wrong in the kit, both holes are round while in actual the rear holes are not round.

spacer.png

I've filled them partly with liquid sprue, now I need to tidy them up and fill the holes. 

spacer.png

Some putty to hide the biggest gaps. Vallejo is easy to clean with water & q-tips.

spacer.png

@Col. Thanks for the heads up, there indeed is a very noticeable gap.

spacer.png

Plasticard to the rescue.

Some trimming and cleaning and we should be good to go with the wings - and then it wont be long until the primer. Hopefully during the weekend :) Speaking of which, have a nice weekend everyone!

• Like 4

Good man....plastic card to the rescue!!

Sound like you need to feed you carpet monster more often, especially now summer is come and they're coming out of hibernation! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Sound like you need to feed you carpet monster more often, especially now summer is come and they're coming out of hibernation! 

I dunno if anyone has tried to feed it with parts you don't actually need? :hmmm:

Hi,

When this kit was new I felt it was not up to the usaual standards of Revell. Some poor fitting parts like brakes, poor molding quality with sink marks, heavy resessed panel lines, some parts like totally different model and so on... Worst part was that nose cone/front fuselage combo really needing a replacemant. I don't remember, if it was slightly tilted forwards in the model as it is in the real plane?

Good job, Reini! I'm just somehow feeling sad that a so nicely detailed cockpit won't be very well visible...

Cheers,

AaCee 

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Plasticard all cleaned up, wings ready to go in place.

spacer.png

Went on rather nicely now, small amount of filler to tidy couple places. Starting to look like a MiG now!

spacer.png

In addition to the nose, there's couple other resin bits. Wheels and the recce pods. Pylons also.

spacer.png

The other pylon had the tip broken, so I added some green stuff. I'll let it dry and tidy it up later.

spacer.png

I'm not necessary a fan of tiny PE parts, but these Master pitot tubes are rather nice. Well, usually they are rather straightforward with no PE at all, but the MiG pitot tube is bit more complicated. Need to glue those tiny winglets to a tiny tip of the pitot tube...

spacer.png

Craftmanship and fit with these parts is excellent though. I drilled a 0.5mm hole to the pitot tube and it fit nicely. I won't glue it on though until I see the final alignment on the finished model.

spacer.png

It's good that there was 6 of these little winglets - because I lost two to the carpet monster! Very tiny parts, but the amazing thing is that they actually have locating pins & holes! So getting them into place was not as much of a trouble as I originally thought.

spacer.png

The kit part is not awful, but the replacement part still looks miles better.

• Like 3

Lovely work again Reini :thumbsup: You're getting through this one at a good pace and maintaining an impressive quality of craftsmanship.

• Like 1

spacer.png

I masked the canopy following the (somewhat soft) panel lines - when I remembered that the front windshield was bit off. In the kit, windshield framing becomes wider on top - but in reality it's more narrow on top. Like so:

spacer.png

We'll see if I scratched the canopy while cutting the masks but now the shape is more like as it should.

spacer.png

Green stuff didn't hold on the pylon, couldn't shape it without it coming loose, so I used plasticard instead and pre-shaped it before gluing.

spacer.png

Pylons in place. I stole a new centerline pylon from an Eduard kit. Mostly because I had one extra - but Revell one was also bit chubby at bit less detailed.

spacer.png

Tank fin shape is off in the Revell kit - it's possible to sand them more flat but I had Eduard tank lying around which seems to be good shape wise - and also crisp details. So I used that instead. Neither have recessed panel lines - so they are correct as the real thing has the weld seams showing quite clearly.

spacer.png

First layer of paint on! This will kinda like a mix of painted silver and NMF aircraft, so bit dull/greyish main tone, but some more metallic panels. I chose the 77.716 Semi Matte Aluminium as the main color.

I'll let it dry well before masking the panels, maybe even clear coat it - metal paints don't seem to like masking a lot.

• Like 4

Smooth!  :goodjob:  

17 hours ago, reini said:

spacer.png

How cool does the MiG look in such a dynamic pose! You've got me thinking about another in-flight project now :hmmm:

• Like 1