Finnish Recce MiG

reini

This is the last one, I swear @trickyrich!

Atleast I'm pretty sure it will be :D 

FINNISH RECCE MIG

MiG-21F-13, TiedLLv, Finnish Air Force, winter 1983

spacer.png

The kit will be Revell MiG-21F-13 'Fishbed-C'. Looks to be all around decent kit. Not Eduard level of detail, but not bad either.

spacer.png

This is what I will be working with. Some reference material and several aftermarket stuff.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The sprues.

spacer.png

Photo etch to add cockpit detail. This will be canopy closed and in-flight - so not much will be seen but oh well...

spacer.png

Pitot tube. These Master pitot tubes seem great way to add little bit finesse to a kit.

spacer.png

Kit wheels look really weird, will be replacing them with resin ones.

spacer.png

Kit intake on the right, resin replacement on the left. In real life the difference is even greater than it looks on the photo. I think the resin intake will affect the look of the model in a big way. IF it fits - we will see :P 

spacer.png

And what makes a recon MiG? Reconnaissance camera pods! Finnish design with a mix of english, french & russian gear :D 

spacer.png

I will be doing MG-32 of TiedLLv (Tiedustelulentolaivue = Reconnaissance Squadron). I just need new insignia - the roundels are wrong color (too light) and should have black outer rim - not blue. Also they are wrong size, wing and fuselage roundels should be different sizes.

This will be continuation of my nordic series consisting of Danish Super Sabre, Norwegian Starfighter & Swedish Viggen - this MiG will be displayed on simple base, showing a situation where the MiG is coming to a land/touching down on an airfield during winter 1983.

Hope you enjoy following this build - I've been looking forwards doing this for a while now. :)

• Like 17

Like the sound of this project :D 

Built this kit in a NATO Vs Warsaw Pact GB and was a bit disapointed by the fit of several parts. Also discovered too late the main undercarriage doors are too long. If I can find the thread will post a link in the hope it's of some use to you.

• Like 1

dear god!!!!! you guys are going to be the death of me!

It does look a nice build though with heaps of AM stuff....so you're forgiven on that account! :D

Good luck with the build.....and yes I had my glasses on and could read your small print! No such luck I reckon you have a bad case of Nordo-20 virus!!!!

• Haha 4

Nice choice Reini. :thumbsup:

I'll follow this one really close.

Do you know if the recon pods are avaliable in 1/48? 

I'd like to have a Finnish Recce MiG in my collection as well. 

/Bosse 

• Like 1

@Marlin I have not seen the pods in 1/48.

Apart from the recce pods, there are only differences in the cockpit when comparing to normal fighter MiG. Different gunsight - smaller, to make room for the camera sighting equipment and control panel for the pods.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Oh well, I guess I'll follow along for yet another one of your builds, my lord will this ever end :sleepy:

I say that every day when I come to check out what's new in the GB!! 

Haha no hiding the birthday boy on here! :cheers: @luis pacheco :party:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 19:13, luis pacheco said:

Great ! Looking forward to see your build.

The one I saw last year in Ilmavoimat museum.

spacer.png

Thanks for the pic! I also have pics of the same plane but I did not realise it had the recce pods attached :)

spacer.png

I got some research material yesterday - and @luis pacheco as you notice, it has the same MG-92 on the cover as in your photo. Just earlier on the career, before it was moved to the reconnaissance squadron (Lynx emblem on the tail was for 31st Fighter Squadron -- or 24th if we are talking about WW2 era planes).

spacer.png

// picture taken from the book 'Finnish Jet Colours'

Finnish F-13 MiGs had basically two 'color schemes'. First was the natural metal finnish, which was basically just lacquer. So the different tones of the different parts was easily visible. But during it's career about half a dozen MiG's were sent back to russia for an overhaul - and with that service they also received a new finish, silver/aluminium primer was used before the lacquer so that the surface was uniform color. MG-92 received the new paint, as can be seen in the pic here (and in Luis's pic above).

spacer.png

// picture taken from the book 'Finnish Jet Colours'

But the plane I am doing is MG-32 (sadly of which there is very little photos that I can find) - but I know that much that it did not receive a new paintjob. So it was like MG-49 here, some panels appear in high metal finish, some are almost gray. Depending on how the light hit the airframe, it can be more or less obvious. For example on the book cover above, MG-34 is NMF finish, MG-92 is silver finish. In any case, should be fun - I like doing NMF finishes. And as usual, I'll be using Vallejo Metal Color range for that.

spacer.png

//picture taken from the book 'MiG-21 Suomen Sinessä' 

Like I already mentioned, only differences of the recce MiG were the reconnaissance pods and the cockpit. Here is recce MiG cockpit, that tube is the sight for the camera, control panel on the right. Normal MiG gunsight was removed, and smaller one used instead - no bigger than a pack of cigarettes. Despite the size, it was reasonably good sight for the gun. I'll see if I can do the adjustments to the cockpit. With the pilot, it might be bit crowded already but we will see.

spacer.png

//picture taken from the book 'MiG-21 Suomen Sinessä' 

Here is the recce pod, being loaded to the aircraft using a high tech equipment :D

Right. So on to the build!

spacer.png

I'll be using Kuivalanen (which is made by Eduard) etch set to enhance the cockpit. Not sure if it's worth it with canopy closed and pilot in, but hey, I have the sheet so why not.

spacer.png

Speaking of pilot, here's two. I was wondering that just how many Airfix Buccaneer pilots I have, I was pretty sure I had already used two and I kept finding more. But then I realised that Airfix pilot's are all quite a like. On the right, is the pilot from the brand new MiG-17 kit, on the left I think it could be from the Airfix A-4 Skyhawk? Not sure, but they are the same in any case. I'll go with the MiG pilot - more fitting and seems to be a tad more crispier and less flashier.

spacer.png

The seat. That's afwul lot of red -- parts that will be cut out.

spacer.png

This is what I was left with, not much. But maybe there are parts here to make the seat whole again...

spacer.png

PFM series of MiG's were the first to have the nice turquoise cockpit finish, so F-series was still grey with black instrument panel. I tried to imitate the blueish gray of the etch parts and I think I got quite close.

spacer.png

Next I can start figuring out the etch parts and build a cockpit out of them.

• Like 8

So let's get on with the seat.

spacer.png

Not much of the original seat is left, basically just a framework where the PE parts will be glued on. The seat cushion is made from plasticard.

spacer.png

Test fitting, it actually fits. Only slight liposuction was necessary. We will see if he gets to keep his legs...

spacer.png

Apart from some paint touch ups here and there, the seat is done. There was also seatbelts included but we won't be using them here because of the pilot.

spacer.png

Still fits...

spacer.png

And the whole thing fits the cockpit, that's good.

Next I can continue with the rest of the cockpit.

• Like 9

spacer.png

spacer.png

Instrument panel. I've been using CA glue mostly with PE parts, but I tried canopy glue and I kinda like it. Sure it doesn't have the quick grip of the CA glue, but being more sticky it helps placing down the PE parts and gives some time aligning it. And all the mess you make dries clear :D 

spacer.png

I learned a new word today from @John Masters- persnickety. And I think it applies here, that throttle lever was insanely small, but you also had to cut a plastic rod and glue them together, and with your sticky fingers try to fit it into the throttle lever base (which also was quite fiddly folding piece of PE. I think this is where I draw the line on my details, I left some of the smaller bits out. This cockpit is not quite coming together as I hoped, but I'm not too worried about it as it won't be the focus anyway.

spacer.png

Got most of the PE parts down. Need to do some painting and start moving towards other parts of the build.

• Like 6

On 16/04/2020 at 12:02, Col. said:

You're packing a lot of nice detail in there Reini. Hopefully it's remain visible with the canopy closed.

Not a chance :D But it is what it is.

spacer.png

The recon pod modifications to the cockpit, I picked some bits from my bits box and cut appropriately looking parts for the job. The sight and control panel.

spacer.png

Pilot got some paint too.

spacer.png

While dry-fitting the cockpit it was obvious that all of that instrument panel wasn't gonna fit in if the cockpit was closed. So I had to trim out all the instruments on the top. Maybe the additional equipment will fill that void a bit - if they fit that is..

spacer.png

Final paint jobs on the cockpit and glued it to the other side of the fuselage.

spacer.png

The intake, it's just so sharp and fine that I can't wait to put it on. It's just so thing and pointy that I'm bit worried that I will dent it - but just have to be careful.

spacer.png

Painted silver on the interior bits - so I can start figuring out putting this together next.

• Like 6

All looks good there Reini and your pilot paintwork is particularly impressive B) May I suggest making some form of cardboard tube to tape on and protect that delicate resin nose parts?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Col. said:

May I suggest making some form of cardboard tube to tape on and protect that delicate resin nose parts?

That is a solid advice.

Altough I have my reservations that it will help... here is a pic, I put the part in the cabinet to dry (the intake nose, the one with the drill), and moving them around it was left pointing towards the door. Just far enough for me to knock the tiny tip slightly flat with the door :o Damage is minor so I will manage to save it but still, got me bit worried that will it survive long enough :D

spacer.png

Edited by reini
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

mmm a pointy bit like that sticking out is asking for trouble.....hopefully it'll survive. Even a wee bit of styrene and tape would help. But it does look soooo nice....am having resin withdrawals! 

I think from the picture the pilot may have some concerns about pointy things!!! :analintruder:  You'll have the Plastic Pilot's Union after you if you're not careful!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I think from the picture the pilot may have some concerns about pointy things!!! :analintruder:  You'll have the Plastic Pilot's Union after you if you're not careful!!!

Not gonna lie, I've had troubles with the PPU in the past. Apparently even the plastic pilots have right to keep their legs. But this guy was lucky, I only took out small bits from his bottom :D

• Haha 2

spacer.png

Gluing the wheel wells, soon we can start closing the fuselage.

spacer.png

Added the extra bits (camera sight & control box) on top of the instrument panel. Bit hard to see on the black. But they are there. I might have covered couple vital instruments while doing so - but lets not tell the pilot...

spacer.png

There are somekind of support struts inside the intake, made them out of thin plasticard rod.

spacer.png

Once again, the kit intake on the left, resin part on the right. It just completely transforms the nose - that intake being pretty vital part of a MiG-21 looks.

spacer.png

We're in a good place right now, things are getting glued together and it looks like the sanding job will be relatively easy work. Apart from the nose intake, this Revell kit is being very good and I'm liking it a lot.

• Like 9