1/18 Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18 'Känguruh'

Hey folks 😊

Started working on the cowling having sorted the prop out – it’s unpainted NMF and split into four panels…

pmGBJ600j

..before I could do that I needed to form the fairing that goes from the fuselage in behind the radiator, so this was roughed out in litho in two parts..

poNNYhvxj

..then once finessed a bit, I marked the locations of the rods that control the cowl flaps..

pnfwCuXIj

..with that done the cowl was temporarily added to mark out the panel lines with cotton and draw them on..

pmGcMNzoj

..then the first panel was laid down starting with the flat part at the rear and working the metal forward over the cowl lip..

po6Ha9O4j

..that ultimately failed as all the folds & kinks formed on the cowl lip and in sanding them to a reasonable finish it started to get too thin & break up..

So take 2 was to start forming at the lip and work backwards, but this too resulted in too many deep folds and a pretty crap finish..

pnRStSBmj

..the front of the cowl finished up well, so I thought I could maybe do it in two parts, by removing & replacing the rear section where the cowling is flat..

poXfHWm6j

..to repeat this four times for each panel would be a pain so I finally decided to start again but with one forward part for the whole lip and try and get it to conform as far back as possible..

pmR2yvpMj

..then once this was trimmed, one sheet was wrapped around the rear…

pnn44Fa1j

..it was then burnished down to overlap the cowl nose part…

pmQHApLij

..then sanded away the overlap getting a near invisible join..

pnBF4igsj

..then the panel lines were marked out again..

pmdtOLAFj

..and the panels scored into it and rivets added – here also the cowl flaps are taped in place..

pmdANItJj

..also test fitted the PE parts for the radiator which fitted beautifully..

pojcGxdIj

..then the nose could be dry fitted for testing looks & fit..

poZIjfgwj

..it was really difficult to skin the cowling and I am not 100% happy with it, but I can’t face doing it all again..

pnZBaJbBj

poZ3LfK3j

one thing I am not sure about are the internal colours for things like the inside of the cowl – on the P51 it is interior green or zinc chromate, on a 190 I assume it’s RLM66 in the cockpit, but are internal parts either RLM02 or anodised metal? Any thoughts welcome

TTFN

Peter

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, airscale said:

it was really difficult to skin the cowling and I am not 100% happy with it, but I can’t face doing it all again..

From where I'm sitting you made it look fairly easy, and with an excellent result.

I like the cotton idea for the panel lines. I might have to steal that one.

As for the internal colour of the cowling,

The pictures on page 1 show the cowling and some engine panels in natural metal on the outside, yet the rest of the Aircraft is green.

I'd surmise that the natural metal panels had been reworked to fit or even made from scratch. Therefore I'd guess at natural metal inside too.

• Like 1

Evening all

Not a huge amount to report as only had limited time at the bench in the last few days, but a few more bits done..

First the rudder pedals – here are the main parts from the PE I designed..

pnPT2q8Lj

..these were folded up and can be seen at the top, while all the other components that make up the complex casting and the two layers of heel stop are below..

pnz5THjjj

..these were assembled so that the main bits were all together..

po4pUM7Ij

..and then assembled with some footstraps from lead..  I need to find some better references for the pistons and brackets that these fit to before going any further..

pnwytwlIj

moving to the radiator – you can see on the front face there are some kind of structure at top and bottom, with the upper one having some kind of thing on it – I thought it was maybe an engine logo, but settled on some sort of filler cap.. I sound vague, because this is all I have to go on..

pm90QEM4j

..I painted and added the PE radiator fronts and the spoke type things and made up the upper and lower shapes as best I could from tracings from that photo..

pnWdjzx2j

..they look a lighter colour to me so tried to make a sort of anodised / RLM 02 style colour..

pmCaIGNgj

..and what they look like on the model..

poJW6SmVj

pojyvk1Kj

pmIGidOtj

..and that’s it – told you it wasn’t a lot 😊

TTFN

Peter

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Less can be more. It looks good. I wonder if that thing at the top is a bleed screw for the coolant system. 

With the aircraft on the ground it would be the highest point.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2020 at 20:52, Pete in Lincs said:

Less can be more. It looks good. I wonder if that thing at the top is a bleed screw for the coolant system. 

With the aircraft on the ground it would be the highest point.

That makes a lot of sense - inspired Pete!

@airscale, I would also go for Natural Metal inside the panels. 

Inspired work there on the cowling Peter - looks excellent!

SD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello again my friends

A little update on the 190…

..added the PE part to the seat pan and made up a buck to vacform the seat back – I tried it in metal but it was not only too thin, but the folds were too straight, that is to say the seat back has quite radiused corners where the metal was folded / pressed to make it..

..this is before I cut the back down as it was too tall..

pn3aQujDj

..then made up a little jig to add the mounting lugs..

po35PWwGj

..and assembled & painted.. I am using MRP Paints RLM66 and am really struggling with it – it seems to dry and go syrupy in the airbrush paint cup almost immediately and the finish is quite rough – I might redo it and try thinning it.. I am also not sure about the colour – it looks very dark to me…

poHzeo9Fj

..next up are the two small bulkheads that are mounted to the seat rails – the left hand one has the round oxygen thing that the pilot whacks with his elbow if the cockpit depressurises and it creates an oxygen mist..

pm1mV4Opj

..I made up the seat rails from brass ‘I’ beams with the sides filed down to the two different widths they are in reality, and added the PE bulkhead laminates… I also made up the oxygen thing..

pm4Jw4kuj

..and painted them…

pnsx3KYNj

..in readiness for fitting them, I made up the canopy rails from brass square section with a slot cut into it and fitted these to the sidewall parts so I knew where the seat rail bulkheads needed to integrate with..

pojBEhumj

..also added the rear cockpit skin with the riveting to the pointed part under the canopy..

pokfqMECj

..then the cockpit area was painted as I worried I wouldn’t be able to get in all the nooks and crannies and the bulkheads added..

pmHaWGK6j

..and with the seat dry fitted..

pnYv3IV4j

..still not sure about the colour…

Has anyone got any recommendations for an idiotproof RLM66 that is maybe a bit lighter (& bluer?)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10

I think your seat and cockpit details are absolutely wonderful. You've given me the best illustration of the canopy rails that I've ever seen. Simply marvellous!

Not sure that I would repaint the 66 - how about a filter and drybrush first?

Keep up the excellent work

:like:

SD

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Phenomenal work! Your work looks almost exact to the pictures.

Totally agree. Worth remembering that, if there is a variation between the prototype and Peter's work, it is because they got it wrong on the prototype and did not pay enough attention to what Peter is doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon gentlemen

Some Fw190 bobbins for your entertainment..

..I painted the layers of PE for the instrument panel – there is a backplate (not shown), a layer with just the bezel surrounds and the blanked instrument in black, and the detail layer in RLM66..

The lower panel has some colour coding (thanks Roger) for the instruments that are on their way and should be here next week..

pnbSvyvej

..also made the ‘Ausgleichsgefäss’ that sits under the main panel from many punched discs (the 3D print didn’t really work..)

pnRGr4Tgj

..and the artificial horizon, now just awaiting instruments & placard decals…

pmFB8ZSyj

..while waiting I have been readying all the PE I will need for the gear wells and a load of other bits – using lots of pictures like this to map it all out..

Notice the dimples and the raised ribbed panel next to them..

pnSiaIYOj

..after many hours of work, here you can see the mainspar, wheelwell roof and some of the wing ribs printed out, stuck to litho and being test fitted..

po1Sk09Ij

pnL34BwCj

..I wanted to start with the roof as these won’t be PE anyway, the drawings are just to give me working templates..

..here printed, stuck to a sheet of Perspex and all the centres of all the dimples being marked..

pmX0a6d8j

..and my first ever use of my new mini Proxxon milling machine to machine the depressions..

pmgCQDVQj

..added the sidewalls and some filler to fair them in as the pressing is curved at the sides and primed to make sure all was well..

po4RGIjyj

..starting to work annealed litho into the female mould… the completed one you can see at the front is the first version I did in a video episode on my Patreon build after which I realised I had made the depressions too big (& therefore the dimples..)

pnf4FxmSj

..re-adding a template so I can see the panel outline and start cutting it to shape..

poTmYBGgj

..and the completed parts…

pmTilQpGj

..the ribbed panel was approached in a similar way, just reversed so instead of dimples it makes raised strengthening ribs..

..sticking templates down to mark out where the ribs go..

potkZAWKj

..ribs added and a wash of thin CA..

pmvt6mp1j

..cleaned up, rounded edges and primed..

pmoelxoVj

..litho being worked into shape..

pnLQ3BqEj

..and the finished panels with the rivets etc added..

pnBMJVa4j

..a day’s work…

poX8HV6nj

..and checking for fit..

pnCeBUxzj

pn8kZ3dTj

..happy with how they turned out, and don’t forget, if you want to see how parts like this are made and join me in the ups and downs of this build, please join my Patreon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 15

afternoon my friends :)

Something arrived in the post this week which has meant I could crack on with my favourite part of any build..

..this stack are the custom decals for the 190 that I had in the corner of a layout sheet for an airscale restock. The good thing is they are super high quality decals, the bad thing is I have 75 copies as that was the sheet order size for one of the layouts… I only need one of any decal on the sheet as I have so many copies and it keeps the sheet size down, plus there are a few bits on there for friends

pnhhHrE9j

..anyways, I don’t have any WIP shots, but I have been busy – this is the V15 cockpit I am basing the V18 on..

pmy9DTwDj

..and my version..

..upper panel..

pmvmlR90j

pokObuf5j

panel in front of the control stick..

pmU4hl8vj

lower panel..

pnz5mubWj

poccOuPsj

pmNHuV44j

..and sort of how they go together..

po6m7t8yj

pmcUWetYj

..and that’s that – favourite bit done, it’s all downhill from here 😜

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

That is just so good! You even have the hand-painted German notations next to the gauges reproduced exactly!

As @Pete in Lincs commented above - it's both completely convincing and totally realistic. On another level entirely. 

Lost for words...

SD

• Like 1