P-51 antenna wires?

Vinster

Hey all so I'm currently building the P-51 in 1/72 by Airfix. This kit depicts an aircraft from the 352nd fighter squadron of the 8th airforce. The squadron was stationed at RAF Bodney and known as the Blue nosed B***ards of Bodney. I was wonder g whether this one had an internal or external antenna wire as I am not sure. I have researched and found some images of the aircraft however I can not tell if there are wires in the photo due to the quality.

if you mean for the radio, between the mast and the fin, then it is most unlikely as it was only needed for HF and the Allied air forces had converted to VHF some time before the P-51 appeared in the 8th.  If you mean for IFF aerials, I don't believe so but haven't seen any sign of the equivalent underwing aerial (as on Spitfires of this period) either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

if you mean for the radio, between the mast and the fin, then it is most unlikely as it was only needed for HF and the Allied air forces had converted to VHF some time before the P-51 appeared in the 8th.  If you mean for IFF aerials, I don't believe so but haven't seen any sign of the equivalent underwing aerial (as on Spitfires of this period) either.

Thank you so much, I got a second opinion on the photos from a fellow model maker and it correlates to what you said as we both couldn't see wires. Also what does IFF stand for is it Identification friend or foe

9 minutes ago, Vinster said:

Also what does IFF stand for is it Identification friend or foe

That.

Of course, different equipment was used, early war years a lot of radar (and radio) frequencies were longer waves (HF). 
As technological improvements came along, the frequency bands shifted from metric to centrimetic, so the T/R kit and antennas would be adapted to fit.

(the well known cheese-cutter wires were replaced with a rod-like antenna under the wing for instance).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have access to the P-51 SIG website, there has been a lot of discussion and photos of the various aerial and radio installations on P-51's. The very best site for all things Mustang.

Mike

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

If you have access to the P-51 SIG website

That site has turned up in my various quests for information, but alas I am not among the anointed and access was denied.  Is there a secret phrase or handshake?  Once you're "in" is it like the Masons or the Rosicrucians, or maybe an outlaw motorcycle club?  Can the Keymaster be summoned by any old seeker of knowledge, or do insiders select worthy initiates?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jackson Duvalier said:

That site has turned up in my various quests for information, but alas I am not among the anointed and access was denied.  Is there a secret phrase or handshake?  Once you're "in" is it like the Masons or the Rosicrucians, or maybe an outlaw motorcycle club?  Can the Keymaster be summoned by any old seeker of knowledge, or do insiders select worthy initiates?

Jackson,

They used to be open to anyone, but what I have read has happened was that some 'new' visitors would post queries, and then when answers, photos, drawings, documents, etc. were supplied, they mysteriously began appearing in books, magazines, and articles, with no credit given to the original source. I was 'vouched for' by a former member of the Air Force Museum  staff, who knew of me from correspondence and IPMS contests. I can understand why they had to limit access, but I also can't think of any real modeler/enthusiast  I know who  wasn't able to get registered and have access when they submitted their background or had a current member speak on their behalf. If you love Mustangs, and I sure do, it is an incredible source of information and is home to many real authorities on all things Mustang. I have been happy to look for information that BM'ers have asked about, but always give credit to the source. We do have BM'ers who belong to both websites, so it can be done!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 30/03/2020 at 21:09, 72modeler said:

If you have access to the P-51 SIG website, there has been a lot of discussion and photos of the various aerial and radio installations on P-51's. The very best site for all things Mustang.

Mike

I shall give it a look over, thank you!

This diagram shows the P-51D antenna configuration. I suppose that you're talking about the W-106 antenna wire from the fin to the head rest armor plate which was used for the two different purposes. On the early aircraft, D-5 and probably some D-10, the wire was used as an antenna for the SCR-274 radio which was replaced by the SCR-522 radio set on the late aircraft. The SCR-522 uses the antenna mast AN-104 instead of the W-106 antenna wire.

The W-106 was used again at the end of the war and postwar for the BC-1206 radio range receiver.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Airfix decals depict a P-51D-10, 44-14207 so I assume this aircraft did not have the antenna wire.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

No external wires, no IFF on this bird. If she had no fuselage fuel tank the IFF (SCR 695 with mast under wing only) is probable. But the probability still would have been damn low.

Edit: Oh, she's a 'D'. Forget the IFF.

Edited by greatgonzo