F-105F Thunderchief `Sam Fighter`, Takhli RTAFB, Thailand

Howdy Everyone, managed to get some pic`s of my latest effort:

Sinji1d.jpg

My attempt at making an early F-105 Wild Weasel from by back dating HobbyBoss`s 1/48 F-105G kit 

y1A53Ib.jpg

Finished to represent a `F` version ( although some captions call it a `G`, but as it hasn`t got the az-el antenna on the nose or the integrally built ECM pods I`ll stick with `F` )

hYunOQB.jpg

Completed as `Sam Fighter`  using left over decals from the Monogram kit

jTN8Sda.jpg

I did try to persevere with improving the kits under size cockpit, but gave up when I got to the seats and invested in a resin and etched Aires item.

wqmVMjp.jpg

Other improvements include: brake pipes and wiring for the landing lights, detailing the main gear doors a bit, wiring on the nose gear and opening up the vents on the gun access door

gpWujY1.jpg

Modifications include, aforementioned cockpit, removal of the ECM fairings on the fuselage sides, removal/omission of various antenna, modified the fin and converting the wing tips to the earlier configuration

B0AqGz6.jpg

The armament load was a not unusal  load and I chose it as it`s a bit different to what you normally see.

xxo3eyz.jpg

That`s enough waffle, hope you enjoy the pic`s

Thanks for looking, Cheers Russ

• Like 54

I had the pleasure of working on some of the last F-105 Wild Weasels at George AFB up until some time in 1980. Awesome airplane! Your model does it justice most wonderfully.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been somewhat curious as to when we might see a Thud from you Russ and you definitely delivered! Outstanding looking beast. Given all of the improvements and changes you made to the HobbyBoss kit what's your opinion of it overall? I have a D from them but that's it. The rest are all unbuilt Monogram's on my shelf.

Edited by whiskey
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, whiskey said:

I've been somewhat curious as to when we might see a Thud from you Russ and you definitely delivered! Outstanding looking beast. Given all of the improvements and changes you made to the HobbyBoss kit what's your opinion of it overall? I have a D from them but that's it. The rest are all unbuilt Monogram's on my shelf.

Cheers whiskey, having built both now, I personally found myself wishing it was the Monogram kit whilst building it. I know both have their faults but I found the HB over engineered in some places ( the separate spoilers, drogue chute panel with nothing inside )  and poorly engineered in others ( the cockpit, coaming, undercarraige legs, the gun and panels, the fin )

you do get recessed panel lines if you prefer ( doesn`t bother me personally) and I suppose it`s the best staring point if you want to go to town detailing...........but THAT cockpit !!!

Hope this helps.

I`ve done a few Thud`s actually, here`s a link if you`re interested 

All Monogram, thanks again Russ 

• Like 2

Lovely stuff Russ - very nice build and finish. Like the collection in your link too - seems to be a particular favourite of yours?! Incidentally - was it you I was chatting to at Southwell a couple of years ago?

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

Russ........You are one of the most gifted and skilled artists on this site.  Your latest project here only adds to that confirmation.  Your attention to detail is superb and I continue to be impressed!!!!! :worthy:.  Like others, I am running out of superlatives to best describe your works of art.  

Keep `em coming!!!!!!

Mike

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Lovely stuff Russ - very nice build and finish. Like the collection in your link too - seems to be a particular favourite of yours?! Incidentally - was it you I was chatting to at Southwell a couple of years ago?

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, no, wasn`t me, must have been some other good looking Gent` 🤔.

Glad you like `em

Cheers Russ

• Haha 1

Nice one Russ, you can't beat the Thud for being an absolute beast of an aircraft.  Must be some size in '48 as well.  That is a very nice touch with the straps across the bomb bay.  Quite unusual to see it without the wing tanks or the big Standard ARM (did the F carry it?).

Cheers bud,

Phil

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

Nice one Russ, you can't beat the Thud for being an absolute beast of an aircraft.  Must be some size in '48 as well.  That is a very nice touch with the straps across the bomb bay.  Quite unusual to see it without the wing tanks or the big Standard ARM (did the F carry it?).

Cheers bud,

Phil

Thanks Phil, glad you noticed the bomb bay straps, I forgot to mention I`d added them in my post. I think some `F`s could carry the Standard ARM it all depends which systems upgrades they`d had. Upgrades seemed to be implemented randomly on `F`s until they decided to upgrade all of them to definite `G` status.

Yeah it is big in `48th but quite narrow so it fits on the shelves with two of the others.

Cheers Russ 

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Fantastic looking F-105. What paint did you use? Colors look perfect.

Thanks Hobo, the paints are Humbrol enamels: dark green 91 weathered with olive drab 155, green 30 weathered with light green 117, tan 118 weathered with 187 stone and light grey 196

Cheers Russ

• Like 1