Blackburn Botha, W5151, 4AGS, RAF Morpeth, 1942 ***FINISHED 29/06/2020***

DaveyGair

I'm often attracted to the 'unusual' and 'often maligned' subjects, and into this falls Blackburn's Botha.

Along with the Beaufort, it was designed to a specification issued in 1935 for a torpedo bomber and general reconnaissance, twin engine, shore based machine of high performance. The result was the Beaufort remained in service as a front line aircraft. That the RAF received nearly 600 Botha's and employed them for 4 years as an advanced trainer beggars belief, a handling report from 1939 having comments such as ;  "deficient in longitudinal stability and there is barely sufficient elevator control", The view forward is excellent, but the aeroplane is completely blind from either beam to the rear, the side view being restricted by the engines", "underpowered", "uncomfortable to fly : bad in pitch and yaw", and "poor view from the cockpit makes it useless as a GR aircraft".

The Botha was operational with one RAF squadron for 4 months and never dropped a torpedo in anger.

Its shortcomings made the Botha unsuitable for pilot training so was pressed into service as a navigation and bombing trainer.

After reading the excellent 'Database' article in 'Aeroplane' magazine, I almost felt sorry for the thing! So I had to build one.

This is the only kit I am aware of at present of the aircraft, by PH models, I think from the Czech Rep.(?)

Very nicely cast in resin, has enough detail for me to be satisfied in this scale, very fine panel lines, the props are cast all in one piece which I am pleased about!

A spare cockpit canopy and nose glazing is supplied but only one turret and  one set of side blisters.

There are no decals supplied.

The aircraft I will try to represent is one which was stationed just up the road from where I live at RAF Morpeth.  I will have to try to cobble together the markings from spares I have.

No 4 Air Gunners School was formed in 1942, training mostly Polish air gunners.  The type proved unpopular and was eventually replaced by Anson's.

Accidents that occurred included 16th November 1942 a Botha took off from the wrong runway and collided with another, killing one and injuring another. 1943, in March alone they lost 4 more. The reason discovered was the poor view from the cockpit apart from ahead, led to collisions with 'attacking' fighters and target drogues.

Enough history, here's the bits. Not starting yet, there's plenty of time.... isn't there?

Davey.

DSC_0096 DSC_0097 DSC_0098 DSC_0100 DSC_0101

Here's the link to the aircraft I will be representing.

http://www.neaa.co.uk/botha.html

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Ooh, I will follow along. This aircraft is a gap in my 1940 collection, so I’m keen to see how this kit turns out for you. 

Welcome on board Heather.  It looks a nice kit, shouldn't be too many problems 🙄.

Davey.

Wow!, lots of photo's I haven't seen in my 'net searches. The magazine article has lots of photo's as well, but I don't recognize any of these apart from the first one.

Cheers.

Davey.

Hi Davey,

the Botha is a really obscure aircraft I want to build since a long time. I was not aware that Planet Models did one, never seen one at their stand on various shows during the years. Guess they are quite rare now. I was only aware of a vacuform kit.

Will be interesting how it goes together.

Cheers

Markus

Bring it on Davy, I've a Contrail vac form in stock with a couple of Engines&things Perseus engines, I'll be keen to see how you handle this, I'm miles away from having the courage or time to look at mine.

Steve.

• Like 1

Good luck with this Davey, I made a tentative start on mine some years ago and it is still sat on the shelf of doom, I think I was concerned on how the transparencies could be securely fixed on the resin? I agree though; a very nicely detailed kit and by far more accurate than the Contrail vacform that I also had in the stash. Try getting the Pilots Notes if you can as there are some useful interior shots.

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Davey,

the Botha is a really obscure aircraft I want to build since a long time. I was not aware that Planet Models did one, never seen one at their stand on various shows during the years. Guess they are quite rare now. I was only aware of a vacuform kit.

Will be interesting how it goes together.

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus. My apologies, the manufacturer is PH Models, it is the only model of that company listed on Hannants website. They are still produced as far as I know and just a recent production.

Davey.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mick b said:

Good luck with this Davey, I made a tentative start on mine some years ago and it is still sat on the shelf of doom, I think I was concerned on how the transparencies could be securely fixed on the resin? I agree though; a very nicely detailed kit and by far more accurate than the Contrail vacform that I also had in the stash. Try getting the Pilots Notes if you can as there are some useful interior shots.

Mike

Hi Mike. How far did you get? The fuselage halves seem to match up fine, just mine have a slight curve away from each other.

I have some details for the cockpit but in this scale I'm not one for adding much detail, the Hudson build I'm currently doing on the 'In the Navy' GB has full length interior, but once closed up you can't see a thing!

I use either PVA or more recently 'Krystal Klear' for all my clear parts on plastic and resin.

Davey.

Hi Davey, just checked in the loft and not very far 😂 . Cleaned up major parts and squared off the fuselage large windows, I bought some generic seat sets and Aeroclub props that I had for the Contrail one I sold on. I bought this from Modelimex in Poland years ago and mine came with basic code decals for the airframe shown in the instructions. You may provide the inspiration for me to carry on 😊 Mike

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Hi Davey, just checked in the loft and not very far 😂 . Cleaned up major parts and squared off the fuselage large windows, I bought some generic seat sets and Aeroclub props that I had for the Contrail one I sold on. I bought this from Modelimex in Poland years ago and mine came with basic code decals for the airframe shown in the instructions. You may provide the inspiration for me to carry on 😊 Mike

spacer.png

Well get it on here, there's plenty of time 😉,  be good to see another PH Botha on here and compare notes. 

Has your kit got the correct half instrument panel (as well as the useless full width one), a single, quite nice, usable seat (two in the instructions which is wrong!), and a correctly shaped control column?

I'll probably just go as far as fitting a correct bulkhead behind the pilot but that's it.

The more I look at the kit, the more I may fancy starting sooner rather than later.

Davey.

• Like 3

Hi Davey, just checked the contents again and I only have the full width instrument panel and no control column so they obviously changed the contents over the years. I may have a go at it later in the year but busy wrestling a 24th scale Typhoon at present, cheers.

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

Well, I couldn't resist having a poke about with this kit. I tidied up some of the major parts, but they still need finer fettling.  You have to be careful how you remove the pour plugs on the central main wing piece, the trailing edges are extremely fine and I took ages to file and check constantly, but it's worth it in the end.  Also the tail fin has a slight curve on the bottom, so not as simple as filing it flat. 

Inspecting the parts, the undercarriage legs, including the tail wheel, have metal rod in the castings, which is nice!

I also couldn't resist taping the bits together to see what the beast might look like.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011 DSC_0012 DSC_0013

Size comparison with a Blenheim Mk I.

DSC_0014

Need to remove the 'instrument panel?' bulkhead from the starboard side, otherwise the bomb aimer won't be able to get in!

I'll add a chart table and navigators chair behind the bulkhead behind the pilot but that'll be all for interior. I'll have to try to find out what kind of bombsight was used on these, any ideas? just for general shape, not loads of detail.

DSC_0015

My only reference in hard copy form, Feb. 2013 edition of 'Aeroplane' magazine.

DSC_0016

A final note, the instructions tell you to put an MG (supplied) mounted in the front glazing, it did have a forward firing gun but t was mounted under the port side of the nose inside the fuselage. 

More to come this week, I'm looking forward to getting this together.

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 3

Cracking on with this.  If you follow the instruction diagram you would end up needing a pilot who was 8 foot tall!

You need to bring the instrument panel forward instead of tucking it under the coming as it seems you are required to do. That and bringing the bulkhead forward to the edge of the first glazing panel seems to put the pilot in the right position compared to photo's.

2 seats are shown, only one supplied, which is correct. There was a two seat trainer developed but I don't think it was taken up as the aircraft would have been lethal to the inexperienced! 

I trimmed one of the cockpit transparencies and looking at photo's it seems the pilots armoured bulkhead crossed over the upper glazing. The supplied part actually forms part of the fuselage but had to be that way to have the roof windows go further aft of the side windows.  I formed the interior from plastic card, there is a floor and bulkhead supplied but are very crude, don't fit and the bulkhead is nothing like the real thing.

I used the seat, instrument panel and joystick,.

It's difficult to see what would be forward of the cockpit as there is no room, it looks like there would be a bomb-sight to the right in the front 'coal hole', the bomb aimer would have to crouch down beside the pilot.

This is all 'best guess' as photo's of the cockpit I can find are taken looking forward from the access beside the pilot or next to the navigators seat which shows a table to port under the window.

Errata ;  Having another read through the 'Aeroplane' article it seems there was a second folding seat fitted which the navigator/obseverer would stow away to lie prone into the nose. Will add that after getting some paint on, as well as the navigator's seat at the table.

Davey.

DSC_0020 DSC_0021 DSC_0022 DSC_0023

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 7

Got the cockpit fully sorted and painted . I used some unused photo-etch bits for instruments, from an Eduard Spitfire from the look of it.

The jump seat was converted from an Airfix Stuka one.

On joining the two halves with 5-min epoxy I found the fit not as good as when I first tried them together without, If I lined up the top of the fuselage flush there was a fair step on the bottom and the same vice-versa. I ended up joining the bottom first leaving it to harden and then gently prising the top apart to add the epoxy. I had to clamp the parts, easing the higher half level with the other.  It worked ok, but there was still are a couple of areas to file down and reshape. The last photo shows the beginning of the process.

A quick fitting of the central main wing part shows it is low on the port side. 

The fun continues.

Davey.

DSC_0024 DSC_0025 DSC_0026 DSC_0027 DSC_0028

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

This is coming together really well now Davey.  Much more satisfying I'm sure, than a shake n' bake kit :winkgrin:.

Cheers

Thanks Cliff, I'll let you know when I'm done!

Davey

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Lots of hard work and research being paid off there!

Edge

Thanks Edge, I really don't normally over think these things as it normally means I wouldn't finish anything! The canopy forms part of the fuselage which is easier for the mould maker I suppose, it may just throw people off the fact the crew would be too far back if placing them at the start of the canopy cut-out. I just looked at the various photo's to place the pilot in the right place.

Davey.

Bashing on with this. She now has wings and engines!  I basically attached everything to the fuselage so it matched the drawings and photo's. This left some work to do around the tail which just involved a small fillet of card and some filler and re-shaping. I think looking at it now I may not have the main wing low enough at the front, I've tried to ascertain from photo's if the fuselage runs flat along to the tail or if there is a 'hump' where the wing is. The alignment of the nacelles look ok in side and plan views though.

The engines are not very good detail wise, I would normally paint them first but they require a lot of material taken off to get them into the cowlings, the walls of the cowlings are very thick but there was no way I was going to grind them out!

The cowlings are not a good fit to the nacelles, there are two discs provided that you are supposed to glue to the face of the nacelles but there is no point to them as far as I can see. I had to round off the nacelles at the front  and take some material out where the cooling gills are to get them to fit.

If you butt the engines up to the lip inside the cowling they are too far out, something to be aware of.

Starting to look like an Aeroplane now!

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 7

Just a quick update. After masking the canopy and gluing it to the fuselage I gave the Botha a quick shot of primer to see where we were with the joins and it wasn't too bad.  I thought I had cemented firmly the cockpit glazing so that I wouldn't have much of a step at the join but, no, something happened with me trying to clamp the sides together without disturbing the masking 🙄. I'm just going to have to do my best to blend it all in.

Davey.

DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0005

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

After fighting with blending in the cockpit glazing, then trimming, masking and blending in the nose glazing piece  I decided enough is enough and was happy to carry on and start the painting process.  A few coats of RLM 04 later here's where we are. Letting it harden before masking up and spraying the Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004

• Like 7