Tamiya 262A 1-a 1/48

Hey all - well I finally made it over the line with this one. As I've whinged about before, I've found my time during this lockdown to be extremely limited with a very busy work day and looking after kids - but over the last week, I was able to get the finishing touches sorted out. 

All the bits went in without too much effort - the wheel structs were mostly done so just added a brake line to the front strut - which turned into a bit of mission - trying to attach a copper wire to a finished bit of plastic was harder than I thought it was going to be, It was such an effort I didn't bother doing the same to the back wheels where they would be hardly visible.  The wheels and structs and covers all went together and installed very nicely - another example of great Tamiya engineering. So no issues getting them aligned correctly. 

The wing tip light were also quite tricky - the transparent lights are very very small so trimming the plastic stubs off them was near impossible - so they went in even if not 100% perfect. They look fine to the naked eye. They also come with the bulb for the light drilled in - so you just need to poke them with some transparent red and green and you get a nice representation. 

I was able to put the gun bay covers in without gluing them so I have the option to display them up or closed which is nice.

Finally the radio antennae was added with Mig rigging line - again this ended up being quite time consuming - I think because the CA glue I was using was old and just lacked the bite the job needed. Managed to get there in the end after inventing some new swear words. 

So there you have it: 

Mqim4Jq.jpg

5LV7otv.jpg

hnaCo6m.jpg

The bullet proof plate had a ejection pin mark in the back that needed to be filled - also there was no reference in the instructions to this piece at all but managed to figure out how it fit into the canopy. 

All in all, I'm quite happy with how she turned out. I kinda had second thoughts on the scheme - thinking an different scheme might have been nicer but I like this one too - still this just gives me an excuse to do another :) I can't praise the kit enough - it must be one of the nicest I've worked on - even for a tamiya kit - I didn't use the decals and I've heard they are hard to work with but apart from that, it's a real winner. 

Sorry for the lack of decent photos - I'll get some nicer shots done soon and get them into the RFI section shortly after that. Thanks as always for following along - hope you enjoyed it. 

All the best - John

• Like 11

• 2 years later...